Morphine Riders?

I'm very interested in putting together a Morphine as a winter project. I'm looking for some feedback form Banshee owners. I want to build an all around hard tail that I can DJ/urban/ and just overall beat on. I may even try slapping on a DC on it and head up to Keystone now and then. But in all reallity, I just wat a HT with a 5'' coil that can do annything. Is the Morphine to burly for my needs? Is 6.5 pounds an accurate weight? Does anyone run dual 24 or 24/26 wheels?

Thanks - Porchsong

Bueller....Bueller.....Bueller

Calling all HT riders!! Somebody has got to have some ride time on a Morphine! Let me know what you think.

- Porch -

mtbr member
    I have a morphine. I love it. I use it as my main DH/hucking bike. I am the kinda person that thinks that nothing can be overbuilt. I had it set up with a 5" up front for awhile and it was awsome with 26"/24" wheels, now it is dual 24's and a DC up front. As for the weight it's mostly going to be in the components you put on it. I built mine to withstand anything so it weighs in around 40-45lbs
    Hardtail Pride!
    FREERIDELOUNGE

Morphine in the mail!

Quote Originally Posted by MorphineFreak
    I have a morphine. I love it. I use it as my main DH/hucking bike. I am the kinda person that thinks that nothing can be overbuilt. I had it set up with a 5" up front for awhile and it was awsome with 26"/24" wheels, now it is dual 24's and a DC up front. As for the weight it's mostly going to be in the components you put on it. I built mine to withstand anything so it weighs in around 40-45lbs
    Nice rig, sooo beefy! I should recieve my frame somtime next week! I hope to be able to slowly collect parts over the next few months and get er' rollin. I planning on building it with a 5'' fork, still undecided about wheel size, and drivetrain parts. What was the benifit of a 24 rear wheel, as far as how it chaged how the bike handeled? Did it help with manuels, or just slow down the steering?

Thanks for the feedback.

- Porch -

mtbr member
    I never have rode it with a 26" in back. I just went with banshees recomedation. I think it made the bike more stable and "huck friendly".
    Hardtail Pride!
    FREERIDELOUNGE

gotcha. I've got some 26' single track rims comming now - but I might just keep one as a spare and try out the 24 rear. Did you have trouble finding a rear hub that was the right size? I'm thinking if I can find a sun/ringle I'll go with that. any suggestions for a rear hub, I haven't seen to many that are the right size. Is it 10mm x 130 i forget at the moment?

- Porch -

mtbr member
    If you can get a woodman extreme. it's 15mm slotted to fit 10mm super strong, and pretty cheap. as for the size the morphine fits is the standard 135mm. go to woodman to check it out. Buy it here unrealcycles
    Hardtail Pride!
    FREERIDELOUNGE

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Morphine is the frame for you

I've been riding a large Morphine for a year and a half now, with 26 inch wheels & an '02 Z1 for the same stuff you've described - lots of urban, and 2x to Plattekill. I want the Freak's components! I'm shopping for a 7-8 inch fork after the holidays, 'cause the 5 is too steep with 26 inch wheels. I'd either drop the rear with a 24 inch wheel, or go with a taller front fork. For DH I'd do both, but I like that laid back stance. Too burly? I don't think that's possible; conversely, I would not want to find out on a bigger drop that the frame I'm using is not burly enough (of course I'm 6'4 and 230+/- and dropping too often to flat, hoping that my Z1 survives until I get a new dc). Go with the Morphine - great sturdy frame. - Kelly

Arrived today!

I recieved my Morphine in the mail today! Sooo bit*hin! I'll post pics soon.

- Porch -

mtbr member
    as soon as you ride it, you will know why banshee riders are so loyal! The morphine is a sweet ride!
    Hardtail Pride!
    FREERIDELOUNGE

Kill that $hit!

Morphine

I've had mine for about a year now and absolutely LOVE it. The first thing I noticed was that the top tube was a little longer than what I was used to, but got over it pretty quick. I had a 24 in the rear and 26 up front which I loved for freeriding, but eventually swiched over to a 24 in the front as well just to check it out, and fell in love all over again. With dual 24's its a jumping, hucking machine! I kept the 26 so that I have the versatility if I need it, but havnt switched back yet. Im also running a DirtJumper II which works great w/ it, although this sunday I'm going to be putting a Sherman Slyder (6") DC on it and see how that works. But yeah, like somebody else said on here, once you build it up and ride it, you will DEFINATELY know why Banshee riders are so loyal to the company.

Cheers!

Sweet, thanks for the info. I'm still undecided on the rear wheel size. I thinking about buying a 05 sherman Flick or Firefly. Banshee recomends a 5 inch fork and a 24 rear wheel for all around use. I plan to ride mostly urban and DJ / mixed FR basiclly. So what I'm thinking is... would a six inch fork make it harder to hop up onto things, when compaired to a 5 inch? And would running dual 26's with a six inch for be similar to a 5 inch for with 24/26's as far as overall feel and ability? Does that make sence?