mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Looking at Norco....any help appreciated....

Well, I have been looking around and started researching Norco. I figure the best way to get the inside scoop on these bikes is to ask the guys who ride them. What is the overall consensus on Norco's quality, design, value, ect? I live in Albany NY, and I've never seen one of these bikes. I ride a Jamis XC pro, ,but am looking for a freeride bike now.. Thanks fellas.
    James

mtbr member

i dont know about freeride bikes but...

i just recently picked up a norco team issue steel hardtail from the classifieds. the geometry and handling of this bike is excellent, norco obviously knows something about bike geometry. also being a canadian company where many of the worlds best riders come from is a plus. riding some of the the most technical freeride and xc trails in the world is a good way to really dial in the design and geometry of a bike. in the case of my team issue, it shows.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmychoi
    Well, I have been looking around and started researching Norco. I figure the best way to get the inside scoop on these bikes is to ask the guys who ride them. What is the overall consensus on Norco's quality, design, value, ect? I live in Albany NY, and I've never seen one of these bikes. I ride a Jamis XC pro, ,but am looking for a freeride bike now.. Thanks fellas.
    James
    I bought a 2004 Norco Shore last fall, and I'm into my first year of downhilling with it at the local lift-accessed ski hill.

Without any previous experience on other bikes of this type, all I can give you is my feelings about this bike so far.

As far as value is concerned, there is probably nothing else that compares to what Norco gives you for your money, Iron Horse being the only possible exception I can think of.

The parts spec is very good for the price, and the components are always well suited for the intended use of the bike.

The build quality of this bike is unbelievable. If you watch the videos of those crazy kids out in the North Shore of B.C., you'll understand why they make the bikes this way......they have to! Built like a brick sh!thouse is the way I'd describe it.

Yes, it's heavy.....mine is 45 pounds, but I have every confidence that the bike is going to hold up to the abuse I give it. I think that counts for something. Despite it's weight, it pedals fairly well. Sure, you'll have to get stronger if you want to climb any hills, but the trip down is going to be worth it!

From a standpoint of design, I have no complaints about the bike. They have been refining the VPS line of bikes for several years, and it continues to evolve. They incorporate the Specialized Horst-link into the bikes, a very well proven design.

Like I said earlier, I use mine for downhilling, but Norco wrote the book on freeriding. I fully recommend you check them out.

Good luck!
    Mike

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks Mike ...I appreciate the help..Norco definitely looks good so far....

mtbr member
    i'm riding a 04 charger. the bike is considered a xc/all mountain HT bike and is built like a tank. the bike handles very well and feels pretty sturdy when going down hill. got it for a good price and is spec'd pretty well. for free ride i'd say norco is king