Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    pol
    pol is offline
    Pablo "down" Hill
    Reputation: pol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    110

    New question here. kona dawg, RM salyer or Yeti 575?

    We might not know what RM has in store for next year. But we can have a glance at what kona is developing. http://www.konaworld.com/2k6/preview/index.html.

    What would you buy if you had the money, kona dawg, RM slayer or Yeti 575? and why?

    I saved enough dough to upgrade my bike but would like some advise before spending it.

    Cheers

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,070

    Kona's just color changes

    Quote Originally Posted by pol
    We might not know what RM has in store for next year. But we can have a glance at what kona is developing. http://www.konaworld.com/2k6/preview/index.html.

    What would you buy if you had the money, kona dawg, RM slayer or Yeti 575? and why?

    I saved enough dough to upgrade my bike but would like some advise before spending it.

    Cheers
    I had a Kikapu and it's a very good riding XC bike.
    I HAVE a Slayer and personally I don't like it. Clilmbing it climbs fine although the geometry is s bit strange for a 69 deg HA bike. Descending, I get the sensation of sitting up high, being jacked forward, while the rear "suspension" chatters and skips over the rough stuff. There are better bikes than the Slayer, but maybe the 06 will be a vast improvement.
    Sound of Tires on Dirt - Sole Music; shared with friends - Soul Music.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    106
    575 becuase when I rode the Slayer 70 it just felt "weird" no matter how the shop adjusted it.

    I ended up with the 575.

  4. #4
    smw
    smw is offline
    pedal pusher
    Reputation: smw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    I had a Kikapu and it's a very good riding XC bike.
    I HAVE a Slayer and personally I don't like it. Clilmbing it climbs fine although the geometry is s bit strange for a 69 deg HA bike. Descending, I get the sensation of sitting up high, being jacked forward, while the rear "suspension" chatters and skips over the rough stuff. There are better bikes than the Slayer, but maybe the 06 will be a vast improvement.

    The Slayer is going to be 6in. front and rear with a differant rear triangle more like a Switch from what Ive seen. I have a Slayer and I love it. Climbing is great and once I learned to descend (body position) its very fast.I also happen to like the Yeti 575. Not familular with the Kona.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,070

    To each his own, I guess

    Quote Originally Posted by smw
    The Slayer is going to be 6in. front and rear with a differant rear triangle more like a Switch from what Ive seen. I have a Slayer and I love it. Climbing is great and once I learned to descend (body position) its very fast.I also happen to like the Yeti 575. Not familular with the Kona.
    but the objective measurement of how well a suspension really works, or how low centered a frame is, is constant.

    What are you weighting the front end more?
    Sound of Tires on Dirt - Sole Music; shared with friends - Soul Music.

  6. #6
    smw
    smw is offline
    pedal pusher
    Reputation: smw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,234
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    but the objective measurement of how well a suspension really works, or how low centered a frame is, is constant.

    What are you weighting the front end more?

    Well the susoension has always worked great on my bike, better once broke in compared to new, Ive nevr had the sensation I was being pushed forward or anything.
    Yeah maybe weighting the front end more, mainly by bending my arms more and also staying low to the bike. Gotta remember this bike was designed by canadiens, for their type of riding, usually slower and more technical than what I usually ride here on the coast of California. Fot the all around ride I love my Slayer, if I was more into haulin rough rocky terrain at high speed Id get a specialized Enduro. With that said my next bike will be a Yeti, so I will have to decide which bike to ride that day.
    Seems as though the Turner 5-spot is also a higher center frame like a slayer , although the shock is mounted differantly.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,070

    That's what I thought might be a possiblity

    Quote Originally Posted by smw
    Well the susoension has always worked great on my bike, better once broke in compared to new, Ive nevr had the sensation I was being pushed forward or anything.
    Yeah maybe weighting the front end more, mainly by bending my arms more and also staying low to the bike. Gotta remember this bike was designed by canadiens, for their type of riding, usually slower and more technical than what I usually ride here on the coast of California. Fot the all around ride I love my Slayer, if I was more into haulin rough rocky terrain at high speed Id get a specialized Enduro. With that said my next bike will be a Yeti, so I will have to decide which bike to ride that day.
    Seems as though the Turner 5-spot is also a higher center frame like a slayer , although the shock is mounted differantly.
    That the bike was designed for West Coast riding (West Coast of Canada, that is).
    Since I started riding, most of my riding has been on the coast of California - where and how do you ride?

    anyway, I do disagree about the Spot though - I think it has a much lower CG than the Slayer. But don't get me wrong, I'm glad you like yours, I just can't ride mine very effectively
    Sound of Tires on Dirt - Sole Music; shared with friends - Soul Music.

  8. #8
    smw
    smw is offline
    pedal pusher
    Reputation: smw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,234
    [QUOTE=mtnbkrdr98]That the bike was designed for West Coast riding (West Coast of Canada, that is).
    Since I started riding, most of my riding has been on the coast of California - where and how do you ride?


    I usually ride around Santa Cruz, UCSC and Demo. Kinda XC-light freeride type thing. Smaller drops and jumps, log riding and teeters and learning skinnies. I love climbing as much as descending. The sinle track there is windy in most areas with some fast flowey areas mixed in for speed. So far I dont care much for rock gardens , but Im working on it.

Similar Threads

  1. Yeti 575 or RM Slayer or something else?
    By Swerny in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-23-2005, 03:38 PM
  2. 575 & Moto-Lite demo at Sea Otter
    By derby in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 05-13-2005, 11:11 PM
  3. Got my Yeti 575 from a great bike store
    By Danish Salami-Rider in forum Yeti
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 09:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •