Doesntplaywellwithmorons!

Just built up a Steelwool Tweed...

and figured its canadian, and while its a CX bike, I don't bother posting on RBR. So... take one small canadian bike brand's unique take on a swiss-army/do-it-all bike, one major taiwanese factory making the frameset using some fine tange prestige tubing, add my own blend of parts, and voila... 27.1 pounds of CX bike. Now if only my gf needed another bike. I did build this one to sell (locally, I'm not interested in shipping this) and even though I'm friends with the owners of the Steelwool bicycle company, I actually got the frameset from one of their dealers so I could sneak the project together without them finding out I was doing it ahead of time.

The inspiration for the project was random luck. I bought a couple Salsa Las Cruces framesets on clearout from their former canadian distributor (a 52cm and a 58cm) and intended to build and sell one before CX season starts locally, and because the Salsa is both canti/disc compatible I thought a wheelset that was matching disc/rim brake compatible would enhance its sale potential. Ordered a Vuelta Ciclo-X hybrid wheelset from my distributor and discovered much to my annoyance than it used a 130mm space rear axle. The Salsa frame is 135mm spaced. So... off I went looking for a compatible frame and I remembered the Tweeds are 133mm dropout spacing (so as to be compatible with either road or mountain 8/9 speed rear hubs) and thus would work out fine with this wheelset. Went to one of their other dealers here in Ottawa, got a price I liked on their last 2008 model Tweed frameset, and bought it. Worked out great that it was a 48cm because I had a 40cm road bar all taped up with Sora STI on it already and a short high-rise stem from a Mikado Cabot I got earlier in the year.

brief specs rundown...
    - 48cm size (C-T seattube), 52cm effective toptube, good for someone 5'2 to 5'7
    - full geometry at http://steelwoolbicycles.ca/bikes/tweed.html
    - Tange Prestige Double-butted chromoly frame and fork, lugged construction,
    eccentric bottom bracket, can thus be run as a singlespeed if desired
    - 24 speed Shimano Sora drivetrain with 28/38/48 chainrings and 11-28 cassette
    - Vuelta Ciclo-X 28/32H disc wheelset with sealed cartridge bearings and stainless blade spokes
    - Kenda Kross Supreme kevlar-foldable 700x35C tires
    - 4Rox Cantilever brakes
    - Neco sealed cartridge bearing alloy headset & bottom bracket
    - Wellgo clipless pedals including cleats
    - Bontrager saddle, Cork bar tape, alloy stem and post
    - frame & fork have full fender, rack, and disc mounts, clearance for 700x38C tires

They're actually quite nice if somewhat hefty frames, making them better for touring than CX racing (about 5 1/2 pounds for a medium size frame counting the EBB, and the fork is nearly 2 1/2 pounds with an uncut steerer) but they're canti/disc compatible, and can be setup geared or singlespeed/fixie thanks to the EBB. Dirtrag magazine reviewed a tweed lastyear also as it happens.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Kinda heavy don't you think?

Dorkimus Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Kinda heavy don't you think?
    I believe he mentioned that several times in the post.

Tell the truth you didn't finish reading the entire post did you?

mtbr member
    post deleted because it was a dumb response.
    Last edited by MMcG; 10-07-2009 at 06:10 AM.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    They don't make the tweed specifically for cyclocross. Its just how I built it. I also mentioned that Steelwool intends the model as a jack of all trades, master of none. It can be used as a fixie, a singlespeed, geared. It can do CX, Touring, Urban commuter. People have built them with drop, flat or alt-sweep bars. Did you read the dirt rag review (I provided the link) ?!? It would have been a quarter pound lighter as it stands had I been able to get a MegaExo 19mm BB for the FSA Omega crankset I have (stupid company uses a totally different external BB for this one series of cranks... who do they think they are.... shimano?!?).
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread