mtbr member

I Think I Am Getting It!!!

My parents (who just got left some money) agreed to buy the frame for me (birthday) which leaves me to find a way to put parts on the thing. I'm gonna sell my Element and a couple other big ticket items I don't use anymore. Thing is, unless I get decent money I may be looking at getting a 30 or 50 instead. I really wanna get the Nitrous and build it up. Oh man!

mtbr member
    How much more is the nitrous frame than the regular 70 frame? They're the same thing with different paint correct?

mtbr member
    I believe so. It's a C note and I hate the new 70's paint job. I preferred last year's.

LBS Manager

It's fun to build your own

I have rebuilt mine from the ground up but it is not cheep. If money is tight you could get the frame and look for a last year clearnence bike of a cheaper brand like say a Jamis. Strip the parts of the jamis buy the proper size seatpost then sell the Jamis frame on Ebay and it would most likely save you some money. If money is not so tight then spend away and pimp your ride and don't forget to tell your parents how great they are for gettin you the frame.

LBS Manager

Did you get it yet

Quote Originally Posted by mrgorth
    My parents (who just got left some money) agreed to buy the frame for me (birthday) which leaves me to find a way to put parts on the thing. I'm gonna sell my Element and a couple other big ticket items I don't use anymore. Thing is, unless I get decent money I may be looking at getting a 30 or 50 instead. I really wanna get the Nitrous and build it up. Oh man!

Just woundering if you got your new bike yet and how the build is going.

mtbr member
    Not yet. I demoed a flare colored ETSX-30 over the weekend and that was great. My parents haven't hooked me up yet. Unfortunately, I am selling a couple of items on EBAY and I need to see if they sell before I comit to building. I'm thinking I'm gonna need about $2k for the parts and I'm not sure what's going to happen. The flare color of the 30 looks so good I'm almost tempted to get that and upgrade parts down the road. I'll keep the thread updated as I'm very excited. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Update: Well, my sizing is for a 19" and they're all out of 19" Nitrouses. I hemmed and hawed and decided to get the regular black and chrome ETSX-70. I saw a pic of one on EBAY and it looked great. I was deciding between that and the 50 and decided to go full throttle. Also, they're replacing the stem with a 130mm, the seat with a WTB Rocket V, the seatpost with an Easton EA-70 and the wheels with Crossmax XLs. I've been doing OK on EBAY. Unfortunately, our camera broke so I can't get MY Rocky on EBAY to sell. I'll need to do that before I get the bike. Peace.

ups and downs
    Wow, a 130mm stem is a looooonnngggg stem on full sus bike. I'm just under 6'-2" and ride a 19" ETSX frame and I found the 120mm stem put me too far forward, I switched to a 100mm stem. I had used a 120mm stem on my 19" Rocky Instinct and it was ideal on that frame, but I had to switch to a RaceFace XY layback seat post and the 100mm stem to get the same feel on the ETSX70.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    Wow, a 130mm stem is a looooonnngggg stem on full sus bike. I'm just under 6'-2" and ride a 19" ETSX frame and I found the 120mm stem put me too far forward, I switched to a 100mm stem. I had used a 120mm stem on my 19" Rocky Instinct and it was ideal on that frame, but I had to switch to a RaceFace XY layback seat post and the 100mm stem to get the same feel on the ETSX70.
    All I can tell you is that I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam. The Rocky dealer guys seamed to think I had a long torso. I do like being stretched out. I think the one guy was leaning towards the 20.5 frame before the other checked my stand over height.

LBS Manager

You got the right bike

Your fork and maijor components are grate if your stem tuns out to be a little long ( which I think it might be I secound the recomendation of a layed back post) you can always swith stems at a later date.