Thread: Hustler Reveiws

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Hustler Reveiws

I want to build a Cove Hustler real bad. But I want to hear any good or bad points. not much on here. Sure like to hear from anyone who rides one.

Biketart.com
    Jan 2005
    go to www.singletrackworld.com and go to the forum. run a 180 day search on 'hustler'

it has a lot of fans and info in threads on there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    This is my 05 Hustler

Great bike and there's nothing bad I can say about it, other than the paint is softer than chocolate and appears to have been licked onto the frame by kittens

a tight kick sound
    hahahah..licked on by kittens.Too funny man
    Anyway, I just sold mine off for next to nothing Shame too, bike was in great condition.
    I really really liked this bike a lot. I had it set up with a pike and an rp3. Bike felt very low and balanced. Had to get used to the low BB, but man after that it was like a bullit out of a gun. Long climbs and steep climbs were no problem with the fork adjusted and short CSs.
    On the down, the slack HA was very friendly and made for a very confidence inspiring ride.
    Frame was very stiff and tracked very well. I ran a 10mm axle on some pretty solid wheels too which really helps the rear stiffness.
    One thing that I did not like was the rear trinagle. There was nowhere near enough space for a normal size tire in the back with room for mud. I was continually wiping mud off the side of the tire in the winter time. Plus a lot of mud seems to catch on that little spacer just over the rear wheel? I am sure that it helps for stiffness, but jeeze. Another thing I did not like was the rp3. I set it for my rider weight and proper sag. Made for really nice climbing, but lost all small bump compliance...up and down. This equates to losing tracking on the up and skiddering all around on the down. I tried letting a little air out or running in propedal with less air but I just could not keep the thing from bottoming harshly on fast small bumps? This probably is not the frame. To be fair I should have gotten a coil (as any 05 and above hustler can take one) and given that a try.
    Problem was, when I dropped the seat on this bike and raised the fork, it made a killer little 4x bike. I road it so much that way, I decided to get a slightly bigger 4x bike and just ride that

Overall the bike road very nicely. The frame is beautiful, well consructed and you will be under the care of a great company. I talked to the folks at cove many times and they were always helpful and great to talk with. Plus I hear that the cove freeride team uses these bikes for training on XC rides....ie Vanc. BC XC rides by FRers!!! If ya know what I mean

You will love this bike!

Booner

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Boone pretty much calls it right - the low BB and slack head angle are what make the Hustler so much fun to ride. The seat angle is pretty steep, which makes it climb much better than you'd expect too.

Tyre wise, i can fit a 2.5 NBX DH in there, or a 2.5 Big Earl (pinch flat central..).

I've also had problems with the RP3 - it's been very difficult to get the bike set up just right. Running ~30% sag it's bottoming out way too much, but put some more air in and the bike doesn't track any where near as well, and the rebound gets scary fast. Also i'm pi$$ed off with messing about with air pressures all the time - gonna put me a coil shock on.

Get one with a DHX coil and yer laughing i think - it's an outrageously fun bike to ride..

Gratuitous bike and Alps shot? Go on then..

a tight kick sound
    Ahhh that looks spectacular!
    Wahhhhhhhwwww

Yeah, I really think this bike would do much better with a coil shock. That RP3 thing just is not up to the task at hand.

Nice shots AL2000!

Booner

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Simple answer: get an RP3 w. and AVA adjuster. I had the same issue on a different bike, and by dialling the AVA in, it now ramps up nicely at the end of the stroke so no bottoming...

Searching around for a 400 lb spring, when everyone has the 300, or the 500, sucks. Oh, wait we do have the 400. Oh, but it's a 2" stroke, and I need 2.5. Keep looking.... Air shocks rule for that reason alone...