mtbr member
    Mar 2005

going canadian...

It looks like i'll finally be making the move to my first serious mtb frame. I've been riding the crap out of my trek 4300 for about 2 years and in a few days will be moving all the parts off of the trek and onto a 19" blizzard frame. Obviously its going to be a pretty low end build considering i'll be using the parts off the trek, so one of the first things i want to do is get a fork worthy of the frame and get rid of the Rockshox pilot. What size fork is best to run on the blizzard? Right now jenson is selling a 120mm marz marathon s for $275, and I was also thinking about looking into a used fox vanilla or float. How much travel should i be looking for?

Cant wait to get this bike up and running and take my first ride on a steel ht, i've heard nothing but good things about this frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    80 to 100mm is recommended by Rocky. I'd personally try to find a closeout 105mm 2004 Marz Marathon S. I saw some a month or so back for super cheap, however now all I seem to see are the 120mm version, which likely could be reduced to 105.

Sweeet pick by the way, I was salivating over an 05 Bliz at The Bike Shop in Calgary, the price was smoking, $2500CDN. I had to restrain myself from bying it.

born again
    Quote Originally Posted by wrossm
    It looks like i'll finally be making the move to my first serious mtb frame. I've been riding the crap out of my trek 4300 for about 2 years and in a few days will be moving all the parts off of the trek and onto a 19" blizzard frame. Obviously its going to be a pretty low end build considering i'll be using the parts off the trek, so one of the first things i want to do is get a fork worthy of the frame and get rid of the Rockshox pilot. What size fork is best to run on the blizzard? Right now jenson is selling a 120mm marz marathon s for $275, and I was also thinking about looking into a used fox vanilla or float. How much travel should i be looking for?

Cant wait to get this bike up and running and take my first ride on a steel ht, i've heard nothing but good things about this frame.
    I think the 120mm Marathon would be too tall for your frame. 105mm would be about right. 2004 marathon s (or sl) 120mm cannot be easily converted to 105mm. Mucho $ to do it.
    Classic Cascade Rides

Original quote by Pinchflat:
    The faster you go the shorter the ride!

MT rider
    Jan 2004

Congrats!

Good pick for choosing the Blizzard - I LOVE mine a lot. But, I wouldn't fit anything longer than 105 - mine's 80mm. One thing, can ya post a pic when it's ready? Thanks.

the wrench
    i would stick with 80mm i am currently riding a blizzard and when i put my 100mm on from another bike out of curiosity and it feels too slow while climbing in singletrack and while climbing. allthough it was a little better when descending, 80mm makes the bike feel more balanced.

btw i am running a 2004 marathon sl on mine and even after trying the 100mm fork i do not desire anymore than 80mm with that frame.
    do it, do it DO IT!!
    DOOOO IIIIIT!!

ups and downs
    It would be worth looking at something like the RS Reba Air with the U-turn so that you can have the best of both worlds, that gives you 80-115mm travel so you can dial it down on the climbs and dial it up on descents. It'll weigh a squoosh more than the Marz forks but as others have noted, the bike is really built around classic racing hardtail geometry so it is optimized for an 80mm fork for normal riding but may feel a bit twitchy on steep chutes or descents because of the forward rider position. The 115mm setting for going down hills would feel comfy. I think Jenson has a decent sale price on the Reba.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks for the suggestions...

Picked the frame up yesterday and it looks great. It shows a little wear in the usual places that can be expected of a 2 yr old frame, but it is in great condition and will clean up well. It came with a thomson seatpost and fsa headset, turned out to be a great deal.

Deciding on a fork isint going to be easy, i've heard mixed opinions, some seem to say that the frame needs an 80mm fork to keep its sharp steering properties, others say that the frame works great w/ the extra travel of a 100mm fork. Unfortunantly in the area I live (Virginia, with its tight, twisty and rocky single track) I am having a hard time deciding between the extra travel and the better handling.

Still looking at the fox vanilla and float ranges w/ travel ~100mm. Anyone have any expierence with the 05 manitou black super air?