mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Frame Misalignment

Hi,

I've got a Devinci suspension frame which I love; however, it's come apparant that the rear of the frame is misaligned. The back wheel sits off to one side, but only by about 2.5mm, it definitely involves some pressure to get the rear linkage back together though.

I've been back to my local dealer and they said (having talked to Devinci) that it was within tolerances. I however, am not overly happy with that kind of misalignment. What's a general consensus, oh, and I've had the frame a while, (almost 1 year)... it's not something one notices really while riding. I guess the only real issues are that I know about it being out, plus the bearings are under more pressure. Any one else had this kind of issue?

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

same thing

on the turner flux of my wife.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Hope Same on a Rocky Mountain ETSX....

I noticed it while riding on the road (the front wheel has to be slightly turned to ride straight...) but I completely forget it when riding off-road...
    On mine it's the linkage attachment points on the seat tube which are completely misaligned...

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Same with every single 2004 Oryx Hurricane and probably the spitfires too.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

And did you guys do anything about it?

Or did you just accept the alignment issues. I'm thinking that although I can't really notice it on the trail (what with my general level of riding inability anyway) the only way I can really complain is due to the pivots going through quicker than normal.

mtbr member
    I bought a Devinci Johnson 2005 model and the frame was misaligned at the rear linkage by maybe 5 mm. That resaulted in extensive shock bushing ware and that at the end of the stroke the linkage was hard to move.

I wrote a long e-mail to the store and Devinci sent me a new frame from canada no charges. The whole procedure took a month.

I hope you will get the same treatment!

I'm trying to get my dealer (who's forgetful and lazy) to contact procycle and find out what they'd replace the hurricane frame with as the missaligned linkage has now resulted in my shock blowing its compression damping circuit. The thing still holds air fine, but there's zero damping to any impact. An 8" bunnyhop (both tires takeoff and land together) to flat on pavement, with 220psi in the shock, and about 200 Ibs of rider weight, uses 4" of the total 5" travel. If its another hurricane frame (and they were ALL missaligned to some degree) I'm gonna wanna see what it takes to get a Rocky Mountain instead. If they won't allow an upgrade, I'll just take the replacement frame, sell it, and show my appreciation with my wallet putting money towards another company.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Powder King lift jockey.
    The rear linkage is supposed to be like that on the Devinci's, even the hardtail frames are built like that. I forget the exact reason behind it, something to do with aligning the drivetrain properly though, Devinci's not the only company who does this either, many companies do this. It does not hinder the bushings nore the linkage, 5mm although is too much as funkyflea's case was.
    J-bro

You're confusing the assymetrical profile to the back end with missaligned linkages. They build them assymetrically because the driveside of a wheel is longer than the non-drive side because of the cogset. So the stays/swingarm will stick out further (from the centerline of the frame) on the right side of the bike than the left. Missaligned linkage mounts are something completely different.