Buzzrider

Upset Fox service center for eastern Canada

I am about to purchase a new bike soon but many that are in the front running are equiped with Fox Forks. So what's the problem you ask? Yes it a great fork but if any of you have ever had to deal with the Fox service center for eastern Canada (in Quebec) you will know why I hesitate to buy one. I will not mention their name here but if you have ever had to send your fork or shock to them for service you will know that the prices are ridiculous and the service really sucks. I really do not know why Fox still gives them the monopoly for servicing their forks. This place gives a great product a really bad name, and everyone knows it. What other options do I have when I need service on a Fox fork?

mtbr member
    Ship it to western Canada and claim ignorance.

All of the Quebec distributors suck. They never have anything in stock and they mark up the prices pretty bad. However, they need bilingual businesses to service Canada so that is where they go.
    There is no added value to my participation - in fact, just more confusion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Learn to do the basic stuff yourself and send it to Push Industries for the big jobs.

Buzzrider
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHead
    Ship it to western Canada and claim ignorance.

All of the Quebec distributors suck. They never have anything in stock and they mark up the prices pretty bad. However, they need bilingual businesses to service Canada so that is where they go.
    There is only one distributer/service center in Eastern Canada and as I said they are the real problem.

ups and downs
    You can send it to these guys in Edmonton, the worst that will happen is it might cost you some extra shipping...

http://www.cycleworks.com/

the wrench
    theres a woman that works at the edmonton fox place her name is Gill. after trying to deal with the french at the shop that i worked at i decided to call west. and she sure knows her stuff, inside, out and inbetween.
    do it, do it DO IT!!
    DOOOO IIIIIT!!

Jag
    mtbr member

My experience....

Quote Originally Posted by garboui
    theres a woman that works at the edmonton fox place her name is Gill. after trying to deal with the french at the shop that i worked at i decided to call west. and she sure knows her stuff, inside, out and inbetween.

The boys & girls at Cycleworks do a very good job... I have brought a few rear shocks into them and have been very satisfied with their work...

Best bet is give them a call and co-ordinate things that way.

Jag
    Dad...isn't the word "abbreviation" being hypocritical being so long.... My 11 year old daughter.

ups and downs
    In normal wear and tear a Fox fork will likely last a year or so before it begins to clunk from the oil being low. I think Cycleworks charges about $125 for a fork rebuild (non-warranty). The last fork I sent them, I included a set of Enduro seals to use, and they happily installed those with no complaints.

mtbr member
    Interesting. Everytime we've delt with Velocycles for FOX service, they have been fast and prompt. Granted, we've mostly only sent rear shocks in for a re-build, and not very often at that, since they hold up well. We mostly worked on the forks ourselves, but when we've had to order parts, they've been very prompt. I have not delt with them in almost a year, the last time we needed a rebuild kit, the lbs had them in stock.

LBS Manager

They are horrid

I have a friend that owns a shop and he dosn't like to sell Fox stuff because of them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    I have a friend that owns a shop and he dosn't like to sell Fox stuff because of them.

i live in quebec city and my LBS is a certified Fox retailer and service center, service is A1. They rebuilt my TALAS RLC, and modify the shim stack to correct the brake dive problem by adding some low speed compression. i think thew change for a ticker shim......

last summer they changed my crown-tube assembly because mine is cracking on my vanilla for free and the fork was not under warranty....it took 2 days.

Buzzrider
    That's my point, almost any bike shop I talk to has horror stories about this place. I belong to two bike clubs and a lot of members have been been ripped off by the ridiculous prices. Many refuse to buy anymore Fox products and complaints to Fox go unanswered. I have some buddies that have had to have service in other countries and you can cut the price charged by at least 40% compared to the Fox service center in Quebec. Its time to end their monopoly.

LBS Manager

It's too late

Quote Originally Posted by ErrAzIb
    i live in quebec city and my LBS is a certified Fox retailer and service center, service is A1. They rebuilt my TALAS RLC, and modify the shim stack to correct the brake dive problem by adding some low speed compression. i think thew change for a ticker shim......

last summer they changed my crown-tube assembly because mine is cracking on my vanilla for free and the fork was not under warranty....it took 2 days.
    I now send everything to Push they are better and faster than any service center I have ever used.

livin' large
    I now send everything to Push they are better and faster than any service center I have ever used.
    How is it, as far as sending things across the border, it is the only reason I'm hesitant to send my shock to Push, I've heard enough to know they are the goods as far as a shock rebuild goes.
    it tied the room together man!

LBS Manager

I had a problem

Fed X wanted to charge me $135 to get my fork through customs but Push took care of it. These shiping companies are as corrupt as a Liberal government but don't ge me started on that.

Buzzrider
    Fed X wanted to charge me $135 to get my fork through customs but Push took care of it. These shiping companies are as corrupt as a Liberal government but don't ge me started on that.
    Always verify if brokerage fees are included with FedEx shipments. Sometimes they are, if not find another way. US post is always a good alternative. Never, I repeat never ship via UPS. These guys are not just corrupt they are crooks plain and simple. Stay away from them!
    Push sends their repairs as under warranty, so you should not have any problems with customs. Unless you ship via UPS!!

mtbr member
    Not confirmed yet, but there MIGHT be a third Fox service centre in Canada. Rumor has it Ontario will be the one to get it - possibly 07 mid summer.

Re: Jill - yup, she's one fantastic little lady!

LBS Manager

That is good news

Those yahoo's in Quebec were hurting Fox's reputation and sales in eastern Canada.

Unchained Freewheel

Was that just the brokerage fee ? or did it include the shipping fee?
    The Trail Never Ends.

Buzzrider
    When it seems our troubles with La Porte (Velo Cycle) are over. OGC is to become the exclusive distributor and warranty center for Fox in the Canadian Market.

www.pinkbike.com/news/Fox-Racing-Shox-canadian-distributor-OGC-2006.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzrider
    When it seems our troubles with La Porte (Velo Cycle) are over. OGC is to become the exclusive distributor and warranty center for Fox in the Canadian Market.

www.pinkbike.com/news/Fox-Racing-Shox-canadian-distributor-OGC-2006.html
    Good to see another service center in Canada which will help reduce the wait times for everyone!

Great sales over at OGC but not a big fan of their Manitou service (received shocks/forks back covered in grease/oil, are under torqued, and have cosmetically damaged top caps)

Hopefully Jill and the gang's great work/serivice over at CycleWorks will rub off on them a bit

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cort
    Good to see another service center in Canada which will help reduce the wait times for everyone!

Great sales over at OGC but not a big fan of their Manitou service (received shocks/forks back covered in grease/oil, are under torqued, and have cosmetically damaged top caps)

Hopefully Jill and the gang's great work/serivice over at CycleWorks will rub off on them a bit
    you're kidding about cycleworks right? i've had numerous fox products come back after 4-6 that haven't been repaired or came back with new problems that didn't exist before they were sent away. my float r went away to edmonton for warranty service, stayed for 4 weeks, and then failed again within a week of its return. i sent the same shock to push industries, they identified the problem and rebuilt the shock, and i had it back in 7 days; it's been running strong for the past 6 months... so combine that with a ridiculous wait period -- everyone i know has waited forever, even beyond six weeks on numerous occasions, to get gear back from edmonton -- and i can't wait to have ogc get onto fox stuff.

i've personally sent in three manitou forks and three rear shocks to ogc and had each of them back within 5 business days. that includes shipping (both ways). each time the work was done well and as requested...
    Support your local advocacy group: FVMBA!

Members who have read this thread: 5