mtbr member
    Sep 2004

ETSX70 and suggested forks

I am a proud owner of a new ETSX70 thanks to Supergo. The build parts are coming in and now I am looking at forks. My riding is all cross country riding, mostly singletrack epics, some low key racing, no freeriding or jumping. The Fox Talas looks great, but damn expensive. The '04 Marz Marathon SL 120 mm is on sale for considerable less than the Fox forks. I have heard great things about the Marz forks. I am looking for opinions on the whether the marathon SL is a good match to the ETSX and my riding preferences.

Thanks in advance! Norm

LBS Manager

Talas

Quote Originally Posted by etsx70
    I am a proud owner of a new ETSX70 thanks to Supergo. The build parts are coming in and now I am looking at forks. My riding is all cross country riding, mostly singletrack epics, some low key racing, no freeriding or jumping. The Fox Talas looks great, but damn expensive. The '04 Marz Marathon SL 120 mm is on sale for considerable less than the Fox forks. I have heard great things about the Marz forks. I am looking for opinions on the whether the marathon SL is a good match to the ETSX and my riding preferences.

Thanks in advance! Norm
    The talas works so well that I wouldnt even concider anouther fork. If you want to save money get the talas r you dont realy need a lockout anyway. I think it is the only fork worthy of the etsx.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    You should have gotten a Element if your just a pure XC rider cuz the ETSX is for people who like to ride alittle more agressive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

120mm fork feels like falling from the back of the bike

I've been using a TALAS on an 18" and 19" ETSX for quite a while and I didn't like the feel of the bike when the fork was fully extended. Usually I had it set at about 110mm and lowered the fork for longer climbing sections.
    When I sold the 18" ETSX it had a 105mm Marzocchi MX Air on it. It felt very well balanced. So I would suggest to look after a 105mm Marathon.
    If you don't care about 250g I'd go for the coil version. It's much plusher and easier to handle than the air version.
    Other valuable canditates would be the Manitou Black Platinum and the Rock Shox Duke SL U-Turn, both with adjustable travel.

Braumeister

born again
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister
    I've been using a TALAS on an 18" and 19" ETSX for quite a while and I didn't like the feel of the bike when the fork was fully extended. Usually I had it set at about 110mm and lowered the fork for longer climbing sections.
    When I sold the 18" ETSX it had a 105mm Marzocchi MX Air on it. It felt very well balanced. So I would suggest to look after a 105mm Marathon.
    If you don't care about 250g I'd go for the coil version. It's much plusher and easier to handle than the air version.
    Other valuable canditates would be the Manitou Black Platinum and the Rock Shox Duke SL U-Turn, both with adjustable travel.

Braumeister
    What were you using for a rear travel setting? I've been thinking about getting a 120mm Marathon SL to replace my 100mm MXR but have been worried about that same issue. Presumably running the rear at 4.5" vs. 4" (which I have it set on) changes the head angle a bit but why buy a five inch fork when you can only really use full travel on extremely steep descents? Then of course you have to ask why the 2004's (which I now have) come with a five inch Talas whereas the older ones were spec'd with four inch?
    Classic Cascade Rides

Original quote by Pinchflat:
    The faster you go the shorter the ride!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gearz
    What were you using for a rear travel setting? I've been thinking about getting a 120mm Marathon SL to replace my 100mm MXR but have been worried about that same issue. Presumably running the rear at 4.5" vs. 4" (which I have it set on) changes the head angle a bit but why buy a five inch fork when you can only really use full travel on extremely steep descents? Then of course you have to ask why the 2004's (which I now have) come with a five inch Talas whereas the older ones were spec'd with four inch?
    I'm riding an ETSX-30 with the stock Fox Vanilla 125R. I have the rear end set to 4", and I haven't felt the need to adjust it for my local trails. After some fiddling with both front and rear settings, both ends feel like they match up pretty well now.

I ride mainly XC/trails, and may possibly do the odd race next winter, so the 125mm front end suits me. I reckon you'll be right with the Marathon SL 120mm. You'll end up with a very smooth ride.

I've also been toying with replacing the Vanilla R with a Marathon 120mm, but budget prohibits at the moment.

tt

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I keep my setting at 4.5" and love it

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Adjustability is great!

I ride an ETSX-50 with the TALAS RL and love it. I keep the rear at the 4" setting, and adjust the front depending on the terrain. I set it at 3" for steep extended climbing, and adjust it to 5" for big descents. I adjust it on the fly quite a bit, especially when I'm peaking on a climb and know a big descent is coming.

The bike does feel very light in the front if the fork is set at 5" on a climb, and the rear feels light on a big descent if the fork is set at 3". That's why I like the adjustability of the Fox TALAS.

Forget the lockout feature, I hardly ever use it. I might if I had a remote lockout switch, but the TALAS is stable enough on climbs that it's not an issue.

I know Marzocchi builds great forks too, although I have very limited experience with them. Whatever you do, get an adjustable fork. You might only use it on a limited basis, but you'll be glad you did when you do use it. It makes the bike feel a whole lot better and more stable in all riding conditions.

Bryce

born again

What do think of the new bike?

Quote Originally Posted by bphin
    I ride an ETSX-50 with the TALAS RL and love it. I keep the rear at the 4" setting, and adjust the front depending on the terrain. I set it at 3" for steep extended climbing, and adjust it to 5" for big descents. I adjust it on the fly quite a bit, especially when I'm peaking on a climb and know a big descent is coming.

The bike does feel very light in the front if the fork is set at 5" on a climb, and the rear feels light on a big descent if the fork is set at 3". That's why I like the adjustability of the Fox TALAS.

Forget the lockout feature, I hardly ever use it. I might if I had a remote lockout switch, but the TALAS is stable enough on climbs that it's not an issue.

I know Marzocchi builds great forks too, although I have very limited experience with them. Whatever you do, get an adjustable fork. You might only use it on a limited basis, but you'll be glad you did when you do use it. It makes the bike feel a whole lot better and more stable in all riding conditions.

Bryce
    Well what do you think of the new frame? Does it ride any different than your old one? Did you get the Float AVA with Propedal? Thanks for the advice on the adjustable shock, I just bought a 120mm Marathon SL and will be riding it for the first time tomorrow.
    Classic Cascade Rides

Original quote by Pinchflat:
    The faster you go the shorter the ride!