mtbr member
    Sep 2004

ETSX70: confused about front derailleur- help!

MY ETSX70 frame nears full assembly. I have a XTR front derailleur (top pull), which fits nicely. I am confused about the cable routing from the shifter. The cable seems to slide across the frame, just above the derailleur, on the pivet bracket that supports the rear frame assembly. Am I routing the cable incorrectly (if so, please explain the correct way), or am I stuck with this "feature"?

Thanks,

Almost assembled....

born again

I'm afraid you're stuck

Quote Originally Posted by etsx70
    MY ETSX70 frame nears full assembly. I have a XTR front derailleur (top pull), which fits nicely. I am confused about the cable routing from the shifter. The cable seems to slide across the frame, just above the derailleur, on the pivet bracket that supports the rear frame assembly. Am I routing the cable incorrectly (if so, please explain the correct way), or am I stuck with this "feature"?

Thanks,

Almost assembled....
    Thats the way it is. Both my original 2002.5 ETSX and my 2004 ETSX replacement frame both featured the cable rub on the bracket just above the derailleur. It really doesn't seem to affect the shifting and it's not cutting into the frame so functionally I don't think its a big deal. It does look kind of weak though and they probably could have done something different but I guess RM wasn't that concerned about it. Enjoy the ride!
    Classic Cascade Rides

Original quote by Pinchflat:
    The faster you go the shorter the ride!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gearz
    Thats the way it is. Both my original 2002.5 ETSX and my 2004 ETSX replacement frame both featured the cable rub on the bracket just above the derailleur. It really doesn't seem to affect the shifting and it's not cutting into the frame so functionally I don't think its a big deal. It does look kind of weak though and they probably could have done something different but I guess RM wasn't that concerned about it. Enjoy the ride!
    Ok that clears it up. Thanks much for the reply! Stay tuned for images as soon as my tires arrive.

Almost Assembled

Jag
    mtbr member

I put a carbon sticker there....

Quote Originally Posted by etsx70

Thanks,

Almost assembled....

so the cable doesn't rub on the pivot bracket. It seems quite odd for this to happen on such a high-end frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    When I'm sitting on my bike the cable doesn't actually touch... only when I'm not on it. I agree is does seem a little weird but it doesn't effect it at all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynan
    When I'm sitting on my bike the cable doesn't actually touch... only when I'm not on it. I agree is does seem a little weird but it doesn't effect it at all.
    When I installed the cable, I put a short section of 1/8" teflon tubing over the cable, just above the derailleur. The cable slides smoothly inside the tubing, rather than against the frame pivot. Not sure if it makes much of a difference, but it looks better! Thanks for all the replies!!!!!!!!!!!!