mtbr member
    Jun 2004

ETSX: What the HE(( are you doing about.....

Just a question about the front derailer, The cable not only lays right on a bracket, but when I hit a rock garden it jumps into the left-hand pivot that is connected to that bracket causing me not to be able to shift into the low chainring until I pop it back out. Right now I have it held into place with a ziptie!!!! Does anyone have a fix for this mess of engineering?

born again

Cable tension too low?

Quote Originally Posted by mak7066
    Just a question about the front derailer, The cable not only lays right on a bracket, but when I hit a rock garden it jumps into the left-hand pivot that is connected to that bracket causing me not to be able to shift into the low chainring until I pop it back out. Right now I have it held into place with a ziptie!!!! Does anyone have a fix for this mess of engineering?
    I'm on my second frame and I've now ridden it on a half-dozen or more long rides. I've never experienced the problem you speak of both on my original and the replacement frame. The cable does rub on the bracket and always has, but I can't imagine it being able to work itself all the way over to the pivot bearing (past a restrictive increase in the bracket diameter) unless the cable was under tensioned. But I could be wrong, this is just my best guess as to why you are experiencing this problem. What derailleur are you using? I'm still on the LX my original 2002.5 came with and it shifts fine.
    Classic Cascade Rides

Original quote by Pinchflat:
    The faster you go the shorter the ride!