mtbr member
    Mar 2004

etsx tire clearance

I'm just curious, what's the biggest tire anyone has used on an ETSX frame w/Marz MX Pro up front. I currently run 2.1 but I was considering something like a 2.3 or even a 2.5 for some fat tire fun.

thanks

Greg
    cannondale flash 29er
    rocky mountain etsx-30 (retired)
    trek madone

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I've got 2.25 Cinders,with plenty of room.

I like bikes!

etsx tire clearance

I run a set of Continental Vertical 2.3s on my ETSX with no problem at all. One of the guys I ride with has a set of maxxis mobster super tacky 2.35s on his without any problems as well....

Drek

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

anybody with 2.5

Thanks for your replies. I'm was really hoping that someone would tell me that 2.5s fit fine. I was considering 2.5 wtb weirwolfs for snowy/slushy/mucky winter riding. I'll search around for some 2.3s.

Greg
    cannondale flash 29er
    rocky mountain etsx-30 (retired)
    trek madone

I like bikes!
    They may fit. The 2.3s I have still have some room. I would take it by your LBS and see if they have a 2.5 on a rim that you can put in place to compare. If they have any of the DH or Freeride rigs for sale, it may not be a big deal to take one off so you can check.

Keep in mind though, not all tires that say they are a 2.3 or 2.5 are the same width so you may want to check the exact tire you plan on buying.

Drek

ups and downs

really fat tires need a fatter rim

I've run the 2.3" Nokian NBX on the ETSX with lots of room to spare, and I'm currently trying a set of 2.3 Conti Gravity tires (which actually measure 2.15" to the widest points on the side lugs just like the Conti Verticals). There's about 3/8" of tire clearance to each side and about 3/8" clearance between the centre of the tire and the yoke on the chainstay. You could easily run a tire that was a true 2.35" (as long as there's not a lot of clay mud where you are). I tried a pair of Syncros 2.35" PnC tires and there was still about 1/4" of clearance on each side and to the chainstay yoke. You might squeak a 2.4" tire in there, but probably not in gooey mud conditions or if you have a wobbly rim on a ride home.

Most of the standard XC width disc rims like Mavic 317 or 717 are good for a tire as wide as 2.3" but the rim manufacturers generally suggest you'd have to switch to a wider rim for wider tires than 2.3". If you go too big you're having to spin a lot of extra weight. There's a bunch of 650-750gm 2.3" tires to choose from, but the bigger tires jump up in weight pretty quick (as do the wider rims).

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I run a Bontrager Jones AC-X B 2.2 tire up front on my mx pro on my 03 etsx 30 and a geax sturdy 2.25. the geax sturdy just barely has enough room.