mtbr member
    Apr 2005

New question here. ETSX Design Flaw?

Has anyone else noticed that the front der cable rubs up against the suspension mounting piece as it travels down the back of the seat tube? And sometimes sits up on that little "platform?" Am I being hyper-critical? Apparently the 2003 models (as well as my 2005) share this "feature" so I'm not sure why it hasn't yet been fixed. Maybe the 2006 model will change this...
    But given the price tag for this bike, I should think that they would have fixed it a long time ago.

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks.

ups and downs
    If it was Microsoft it would be a feature. At least it doesn't change the shift cable length as it moves across the pivot, so it doesn't affect index shifting performance. I run an XTR teflon coated shift cable to reduce the paint rub. I should put a frame protector patch there but eventually I bet that will mess with the shifting. My bikes almost 2 years old and there's been no paint wear-thru yet, but that's probably cause I spend so much time in the middle ring.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    If it was Microsoft it would be a feature. At least it doesn't change the shift cable length as it moves across the pivot, so it doesn't affect index shifting performance. I run an XTR teflon coated shift cable to reduce the paint rub. I should put a frame protector patch there but eventually I bet that will mess with the shifting. My bikes almost 2 years old and there's been no paint wear-thru yet, but that's probably cause I spend so much time in the middle ring.
    I guess it's just the principle...frame protector patch, that's a cool little idea...
    The cables at the front have definitely taken some of the sheen off the finish of the headtube where they rub, but hey, I just chaulk that up to it being a mountain bike.

If I wanted it in pristine condition, I wouldn't ride it.

Need to ride more, think less.

HT

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by HardTail610
    I guess it's just the principle...frame protector patch, that's a cool little idea...
    The cables at the front have definitely taken some of the sheen off the finish of the headtube where they rub, but hey, I just chaulk that up to it being a mountain bike.

If I wanted it in pristine condition, I wouldn't ride it.

Need to ride more, think less.

HT
    I don't know how big a deal the cable rubbing against this part of the frame would be, but I didn't feel like seeing if it would saw through the paint so my solution was to use a section of that hard plastic black tubing sometime used to cover exposed sections of cables on the top tube. I cut it long enough that, when pushed all the way down the cable to the derailleur, the top is just above the point on the frame where the cable would rub. I've found this tube will just sit snug against this point and not move while the cable inside is free to move up and down. I image that, depending on how much you shift your front deraileur, the cable will eventually saw through this plastic tubing, but hasn't happened to me after 1 year of hard riding.

Karl
    Last edited by kwarwick; 09-18-2005 at 03:45 PM.