toneetouch

etsx-70 on a budget

hello all,
    just hoping to get some feedback on this idea i have. a 15 2003 etsx-70 frame is on sale at supergo.com for $950. i was going to sell my 04 stumpjumper fsr elite on ebay. my wife and i were also planning on buying her a fs rig next spring, nothing too fancy, just something to help smooth out the constant rocks and roots here in new england (maybe a jamis or fsr xc).

im thinking about buying the etsx-70 frame and swapping the parts off the stumpjumper to the new frame, selling only the stumpy frame on ebay. good or bad idea? from what i can gather the 2003 etsxs were specd with 100mm forks, so i think the black elite from the stumpy should work well (except the black elite does not have travel adjust). other than that, the seat post diameter, and the bottom bracket width, is there anything i should think about before continuing with this train of thought? will it just not work? again, im justthinking about this, so feel free to tell me how dumb my idea is.

i know the etsx is a great frame that deserves better parts, but if the parts function well together with the frame im sure my wife would appreciate the ride.

ant

LBS Manager

Its not that easy

The etsx bikes came with talas forks last year and the longer travel makes the bike ride much better. The specialized frame you have has a different seat tube diameter so you will need a new front deralier and seat post. Also the bb shell is diferent on the specialized . I have a etsx and a stumpjumper fsr they are both great bikes with a slight edge to the etsx. So I would say if the deal is good for you go for it just order a post, bb and front deralier as well.

toneetouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    The etsx bikes came with talas forks last year and the longer travel makes the bike ride much better. The specialized frame you have has a different seat tube diameter so you will need a new front deralier and seat post. Also the bb shell is diferent on the specialized . I have a etsx and a stumpjumper fsr they are both great bikes with a slight edge to the etsx. So I would say if the deal is good for you go for it just order a post, bb and front deralier as well.

thanks for the feedback. i compleetely forgot about needing a new front derailleur. regarding the fork, i assumed that the '03 frames geometry was built differently than the '04, thus allowing for a 100 mm fork. was i wrong? would a longer fork really make the '03 frame a significantly better ride?

ant

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Longer travel is better

I don't think the ETSX's ever came with a 100mm fork, but I could be wrong. Mine was a 2002.5 and it had a 125mm fork to begin with. I swapped for a Fox TALAS before it ever left the shop, and hardly ever drop it to the 100mm setting unless riding long steep sections.

bphin

toneetouch
    Quote Originally Posted by bphin
    I don't think the ETSX's ever came with a 100mm fork, but I could be wrong. Mine was a 2002.5 and it had a 125mm fork to begin with. I swapped for a Fox TALAS before it ever left the shop, and hardly ever drop it to the 100mm setting unless riding long steep sections.

bphin

are you sure, the website states that they were spec'd with 100mm - http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2003/etsx/etsx_70.aspx.

born again

100 mm here

My 2002.5 ETSX-50 came OE with a 100mm Marzocchi MXR shock.
    Classic Cascade Rides

Original quote by Pinchflat:
    The faster you go the shorter the ride!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Not too sure

Quote Originally Posted by toneetouch
    are you sure, the website states that they were spec'd with 100mm - http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2003/etsx/etsx_70.aspx.
    Nope, not too sure at all now that I see the website. Mine had a Marzocchi Bomber on it in the shop. The bike was a special edition with a flame paintjob on the frame. I switched it for the TALAS when I bought it because I wanted the adjustable travel.

bphin

Singletrack Daydreamer

100mm Fork

I have a 2003 ETSX-50 specked with a Fox Float 100R. Early this season I bottomed out during a race and it screwed something up so I was only getting 80-85mm of travel. I found out it needed to be rebuilt as a result, but being that it was the middle of the race season by that time, I put it off. Anyway, long story short, yes the 2003 ETSX came with a 100mm fork and works just fine. I completed a week long Dirt Camp in Moab, a six race series in Winter Park, and the 24 hours of Moab with a little less travel and did well in all venues. While I wouldn't recommend an 80mm, I can't imagine a 125mm with that geometry (the 2003 head angle, etc.) would improve handling at all (given that a longer fork has the potential to slow steering responsiveness and can make climbing trickier if the geometry isn't designed for it).

Ride on,

Mark

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I also have a 2002.5 that came with a Marz MXR fork or something like that. I always hated that fork. I finally swapped it out for a Fox Vanilla 125mm fork. I don't notice that anything bad changed in regards to steering or anything else. But the fork is way better, thats for sure! Were the geometries of our first frames really different than the newer ones that come spec'ed with the 125mm forks?

LBS Manager

I had an 02

I had an 02 with the same flame paint job mentioned above and it came with a 100 mm bomber mxr air on it. I upgraded to a talas and the bike is much better but it would work with a shorter fork as long as it is a bomber mx air that fork had so much sticktion that is was like an over inflated spv fork.