Thread: ETSX-50 Price

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

New question here. ETSX-50 Price

Hey,

I'm currently looking around to buy an RM ETSX-50. I think the suggested retail on the 2005 model is 3800$ CAN.

Does anybody have an idea of the price you can get the 2004 model right now ? I found an 18" 2004 model and I'm curious at the rebate I should be looking at.

Thanks !

LBS Manager

Get the 05

I think the improvments on the 05 are worth the extra money.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    I think the improvments on the 05 are worth the extra money.
    If you're referring to the changes they've made to the frame in 2005, my take on this is I'll get a new 2005 frame if ever I have a broken frame. I'm not really heavy and I don't intend on doing big drop with this bike (not it's intended use anyway), so I'm not thinking about breaking the frame.

Concerning the other changes regarding the specs, I sure would prefer to new 2005 fox RP3 or the 2005 talas in front but they're not major change front 2004.

If I can get an 700-800 rebate, that would be worth it I think.

I don't even know how much a 2005 would really cost, 3800 is the MSRP.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NiC_MTB
    If you're referring to the changes they've made to the frame in 2005, my take on this is I'll get a new 2005 frame if ever I have a broken frame. I'm not really heavy and I don't intend on doing big drop with this bike (not it's intended use anyway), so I'm not thinking about breaking the frame.

Concerning the other changes regarding the specs, I sure would prefer to new 2005 fox RP3 or the 2005 talas in front but they're not major change front 2004.

I just bought a new 2005 ETSX-30. The 30 model gets the custom valved PropPedal fox shock which is much smoother (you don't notice the propedal coming off or on at all) than Fox's '04 shocks. Also the '05 Talas fork has some benefits. They have made new lowers which are beaffier around the drop-outs to accomodate larger disc brakes and stiffen the fork up, they have moved their disc brake tabs outwards slightly to help solve the Chris king/Magura/Fox fork tolerance problem, and they have changed/increased the damping so there is much less brake dive.

The new gussets on the seat tube do more than stop the frame from breaking, they actually stiffen the frame up too.

I paid $2650 + tax for my '05 ETSX-30 (they gave me a $50 discount for not taking the stock tire which came on it). The way I looked at it was I didn't like a lot of the "upgraded" components on the ETSX-50 anyways to justify the extra cost. I will take the money I saved from buying the 30 over the 50 and use that for upgrades. Also if you get a good bike shop they should be willing to swap parts out for you upon purchase, you would be surprised how much customization you could do on a 30 before you hit the price of a 50.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Do you know what's the MSRP on the 2005 Etsx-30 ? Thanks

LBS Manager

Here is a link

It has the prices for all the etsx bikes

Rocky Mountain ETSX Canadian Pricing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NiC_MTB

Imagine if you break it after the warranty expires. I'm sure this will happen to hundreds of people who bought the original ('02?) models in the coming years. And then a few years later to those that bought the 03's and 04's.

I guess I was lucky in that mine broke after 2 years.

1946:2006:2066

there's more to frame breakage than a weak seat tube...

Quote Originally Posted by Managuense
    Imagine if you break it after the warranty expires. I'm sure this will happen to hundreds of people who bought the original ('02?) models in the coming years. And then a few years later to those that bought the 03's and 04's.

I guess I was lucky in that mine broke after 2 years.
    I know there will be some of you who disagree, may even flame.

When ETSX frame breakage first came to light I e-mailed one of the RM engineers I have
    been in contact with in the past. This is an extract from his response. ( my apologies if
    he recognizes himself ).

"It is true that some 2002 ETSX frames have cracked around the pivot mounts.
    The majority of frames with this problem have been 19" and 20.5" frame
    sizes, although some 18" frames also experienced the problem. Actually, the
    seat tube was changed (increased thickness) and the top tube drop decreased
    early in the 2003 model year and the pivot mounts were changed for the 2004
    model year. Each successive year has yielded some improvement in this area,
    with the 2004 frames being the most successful so far. As you can see, the
    2005 model has been changed yet again but honestly I did not have any
    empirical data from 2004 models that indicated this change was required - I
    was pressured into it. Hopefully, the end result will be a further increase
    in frame rigidity as this has always been a challenge with this design.

I believe the problem is mostly a function of rider size (both height and
    weight) as well as seat post position in the frame. The majority of returned
    frames have been used by large, strong riders."

Some of you have broken 16.5" frames. However my own experience reflects the above comments.

The seat tube experiences both tension and deflection forces during suspension compression.
    The severity of these forces is determined by a number of factors.
    Riding style: do you spin or grind, inappropriate hits, frame too small for your size.
    Shock Pivots: free to move, frequently maintained, etc
    Seat Post Insertion: I've always thought 2/3 to 1/2 insertion to be appropriate.

I am 6', ride a 19" and weigh 165#. I use a Race Face XY post and the insertion depth
    meets the upper seat tube pivot. I have practiced frequent maintenance on the shock
    pivots. The Fox AL reducers are the worst pivot ever devised. They bind and even seize
    but the leverage ratio will still overcome any binding or seizure. However the forces
    transfered to the seat tube are magnified before the pivot moves. As I have posted
    elsewhere I now use BETD mounting hardware. Zero stiction, will never seize.

SO:

I don't care which model year you're riding, ride a frame appropriate to your size.
    Use a long seat post, really how much weight are you saving. Get rid of the Fox AL
    reducers. The moment I discovered the top pivot was so seized that the reducers
    were moving against the link arms I ordered the BETD kit. Yes, the QR was tight.
    The 2005 reinforced seat tube is an improvement. But whether it was required to
    resolve a problem with the frame or other external factors is debatable.

Flame away guys.

Foot Note Correction.
    Just re-measured my ETSX. It has a 26.8 seat post and a 31.8 seat tube and a 75mm
    Top Tube Drop ( the amount of seat tube above the top tube ). However I still abide by
    all my other comments above. Regular maintenance of your shock pivots will go a long
    way in preserving your frame. Cheers.

michael
    Last edited by mrdy; 02-23-2005 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Edit Foot Note
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

LBS Manager

I agree

I don't think there will be a large number of the 04 frames breaking but I still think the 05 bike is worth the extra money because of the components is come with mostly the RP3 shock.