mtbr member
    Mar 2004

ETSX-30: Marathon XC or MX Pro ETA

Hi everyone,

I've enjoyed a great couple of (mild Aussie) winters on my 2004 ETSX-30, and now I've got the itch to upgrade bits and pieces. However, I'm stuck between two forks to replace the Vanilla:

2005 Marzocchi Marathon XC
    or
    2005 Marzocchi MX Pro ETA 120

From what I have read in the reviews, both are great forks for my riding style (XC, no drops). The Marathon has bundles of features, and the MX Pro strikes me as being one of the best bang-for-your-buck XC forks out there.

I know alot of you have Marzocchi's on your rigs - I've seen the pics! Any feedback, advice, etc would be much appreciated. I will be getting a Marzocchi, I just need some help deciding on which one...

Cheers!

customized
    Sep 2003
    The Marathon has far superior dampening to the MX... otherwise, they will have the same stiffness, travel, ETA. I would buy the Marathon and don't look back. It is perfect for your style riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Wow don't sell the vanilla ! Its so plush and everything !

For your vanilla i would buy the lock-out thing from fox, and keep the vanilla !

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Megaclocker
    Wow don't sell the vanilla ! Its so plush and everything !

For your vanilla i would buy the lock-out thing from fox, and keep the vanilla !
    First - Thanks Severum for your comment. Personal preference is for the Marathon XC, and feedback like yours helps alot when it comes to commiting to one or the other.

Hey Megaclocker - What really bugs me with the Vanilla is the bob while pedalling and the diving under brakes. But I'm keen to know more about this 'lock-out' from Fox... Tell me more!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tintin1610
    First - Thanks Severum for your comment. Personal preference is for the Marathon XC, and feedback like yours helps alot when it comes to commiting to one or the other.

Hey Megaclocker - What really bugs me with the Vanilla is the bob while pedalling and the diving under brakes. But I'm keen to know more about this 'lock-out' from Fox... Tell me more!!!
    I THink you can buy just the ''lock-out from fox...

Rockshox do that and tha lock-on for their pike,reba,sid,etc cost 69$ if i remember correctly...

Just contact fox and ask them for the upgrade

mtbr member
    I wouldn't get rid of the Vanilla if I were you. It is slightly lighter than either of the two Marzocchi forks you listed, it has less flex due to the 32 mm stanchions vs Marzocchi's 30 mm stanchions, it has much better damping than the MX Pro ETA, and a lot would say it has better damping than the Marathon XC too.

Also, a fork with a linear spring rate such as the Fox Vanilla or Talas best matches the linear feeling rear suspension of the ETSX to provide an overall suspension balance between the front and rear suspension.

The best thing to do with your fork is to send it to Push Industries and for a fraction of the cost of a new fork they can custom tune the fork for your bike, riding style, weight, and minimize any negative traits you don't like.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHead
    I wouldn't get rid of the Vanilla if I were you. It is slightly lighter than either of the two Marzocchi forks you listed, it has less flex due to the 32 mm stanchions vs Marzocchi's 30 mm stanchions, it has much better damping than the MX Pro ETA, and a lot would say it has better damping than the Marathon XC too.

Also, a fork with a linear spring rate such as the Fox Vanilla or Talas best matches the linear feeling rear suspension of the ETSX to provide an overall suspension balance between the front and rear suspension.

The best thing to do with your fork is to send it to Push Industries and for a fraction of the cost of a new fork they can custom tune the fork for your bike, riding style, weight, and minimize any negative traits you don't like.
    Hey GearHead - thanks for the post. Good points regarding the Vanilla R. Apart from the pedal bob and brake dive, I actually quite like the plushness of the fork, and the no-fuss way it handles the stuff I ride.

I have read many good things about the service that Push provide for forks and shocks. The last time I checked with them (about 12mths ago), they weren't able to provide the upgrade service for non-US customers. I've just emailed them again, and hopefully they can sort me out now.

I guess I'll focus on getting that new SRAM drivetrain installed and put the fork on the backburner!