mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Devinci Wilson Sizing

I'm about to order the 2006 Devinci Wilson but am unsure of what size to get. I'm 5'9 195lbs with about a 31-32" inseam. On the Devinci sizing chart I seem to fit into the medium category although I'm on the lower end of that category and would probably still fit a small. I've been told by others that Devinci DH and FR bikes actually fit quite large and that I should probably get a small. Is anyone currently riding one of the Devinci DH/FR bikes? If so, how big are you? What size are you riding? And how well does it fit you? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Just got an Ollie. Medium. I am 5'11" (or even 6). Medium feels agile. Not big at all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I ended up getting a medium. Putting a 30mm stem on it, and it should fit well.

gmoney was gmoneybike

Ollie How Do You Like It

Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Klaus
    Just got an Ollie. Medium. I am 5'11" (or even 6). Medium feels agile. Not big at all.
    Kaba Klaus: Got more info on the ride? How you like it. The HA seems slack, 64.5 degrees on Devenci Website.

Last, did you look at the 8 Flat 8?

Thanks
    Were looking at balz

mtbr member
    Wow, that is a chellenge as I am not a pro DHer nor FRer and have virtually no comparison to other 8 inch bikes. So from my limited experience:

I rode the bike now on some non-shuttle trails and 4-5 times in resorts. For non-shuttle rides the double ring in front is a survival tool. Although the chain rings are 24/36 instead of the normal 22/34 I was able to crawl up every hill that I make on my 5 and 7 inch bikes. The seat post can be pulled out far enough to allow for a proper pedalling position and I was even able to keep the front tire on the ground on the steepest sections. But that does require some skills.

The Ollie feels high. Especially when you put it into XC mode (seatpost long). But the high BB allows to roll lines where other bikes already test the bashring.

On the downhill side I absolutely like the bikes handling. I am a beginner in hucking and the bike did inspire me to try and dial hucks in the 5-7 foot range. Also my DH speed went way up. Where I was braking before I simply let go now. The 64.5 HA allows to roll steep chutes more confidently and stabilizes the bike when going fast. I know bike lore says that a flat HA makes for poor steering. My other bikes feature 66 and 69 HAs. I get them all around the same switchbacks with no big problem.

The combination of high BB and flat HA makes the Ollie a forgiving FR bike. You can roll steep steps and chutes with confidence. And you can get drops dialled. The high weight may make it a bit more slugish in jumps and if you want to race. But I believe Ollie isn't really meant for either of that.

Noteworthy:

1: I had the bike shop swap the Jucy brakes for Magura Gustavs. Just because I use Gustavs on my other bike and they work for me.

2: The Ollie is heavy. I am convinced now that less weight would be better. Especially if you eally think of pedalling it up somewhere.

3: In rough going the chain drops from the big ring in the front to the small one despite the e13 DRS. I use the e13DRS on my 7 inch bike, too. But there it seems to work way better. I am now convinced that a single front ring would have been the better choice. Given the fact that I use the Ollie almost entirely for resort riding now.

Free Beer...Vlamm!

Wilson?

Hi man,

I would suggest you to look further more to the dh/fr bike you can get for your money, I don't like the integrated headset that devinci use. In fact, bearings wear faster and the lack of standardisation make hard to find out replacement parts. Here's the link where I found my info : http://www.chrisking.com/pdfs/Int%20...0Explained.pdf.

In addition, the chainline is poor. Look at the dropped rear linkage on the drive side, weaker and a lack of stiffness! I would suggest you to look at the specialized demo's 7 or 8 if you want to FR/DH. These bike are solid and lighter than the Devinci framesets.

I would also suggest you the Trail SX in the specialized enduro line. Lite FR bike than can do it all. I'm downhilling for a complete year and I simply find it amazing how it handle! I am telling you specialized original FSR desings bikes (Devinci is FSR) but you can also find bikes like the one I rode the Intense M3 (VPP) that is a pure DH rig.

Others good bikes can be described as the Intense UZZI, VPP and good FR bike. Also the Giant Glory DH (Maestro), the Santa Cruz V10(VPP & Little sister of the M3) and finally the Ironhorse Sunday line(DW link) for DH racing.

For Fr I would say to look also at the seven point six from Ironhorse.

Take your time, it's winter anyway!
    لσﺡ∂η

InTeNsE RaCeRs ArE NoT DeMo-InG On RaCeS

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've a 8flat8 since 2004 and i've never changed the bearing in the headset and i ride a mont-ste-anne about 10-15 times a year, FSA make the headset that can be ordered in any bike shop. I don't know how you can conclude that the specialized are more solid than the devinci's. regarding weight, the 2007 models they are pretty light not significatly more than your M3. I've never feel a lack in the rear-end stiffness. This bike ride very well and comparing to others brands it's pretty cheap.

mtbr member

No issues with my Ollie so far

... and since I wrote my first review here I did through it down Keystone and Winterpark many times more. In total I guess it spent about 15 days downhilling.

No problems regarding stability, headset or suspenstion.

I hold up my view that it is heavy. However this gives me confidence. I did land a few 5 feet drops in the flat (not that I wanted to - just did not get far enough) and it did not let me down. Survived without a crash.

Having practised with the Ollie I now do similiar stuff with my 7" bike. But not at the same speed.

So: Nice bike. Still convinced I got the best possible deal. Especially as I continue to ride outside ressorts, too.