Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: devinci troy?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

devinci troy?

i was told by a devinci dealer in lake tahoe city that the "troy" is a 650b specific bike that is to be introduced at interbike and available soon. im assuming that this will/is an "all mountain" geo design. anyone have any other info on this? i was leaning towards a norco sight, but i like the DW link, and supposedly, the devinci is made in Canada, even the carbon models.

any other info appreciated

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Trail Ninja

Trail Ninja
    pinkbike has the article previewing the Troy published now: Devinci's New 650B Troy - First Look - Pinkbike

Steve Smith is racing on it at Crankworx Air DH race, which is going on now. He said he had 1 day on it and was instantly adjusted to it.

Limited time live broadcast: Watch Live: Fox Air DH - Video | Red Bull Bike

Trail Ninja
    Wow, it was a good race between the last few 10 riders in each category, but Stevie won. Stevie was on the gas hard at the end, pedaling where many others weren't. Redbull was only covering the bottom section and he didn't seem to have a "split" that was any better than the other riders out of the wooded section. Having watched it all, I have to say the difference between the top 3 and the rest of the finishers were definitely the riders and their attitude and determination. Remarkable that he won on the bike right after he got it, without much practice on the course, though he did win it last year with a time of 4:07, saying that there wasn't much different about the course except for a few spots and how beat up the track is.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    awesome, thanks for the info.
    i hope they demo this bike at interbike, just what im looking for

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Devinci nailed it, talk about street cred... winning the air dh in it's debut

it will be a tough choice between the Troy and the carbon Norco Sight Killer B for my next bike.

Trail Ninja
    Big win for Devinci here, with Nick Beer in 3rd (not on the Troy). Those pre-orders are probably already coming in.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    rode the troy aluminum today at the outdoor demo; preorder in progress. the rep and another rider (who rode the carbon medium, i rode the large Al) commented that the carbon version was "livelier". The geo and rider positioning is just what i am looking for.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Can you tell me more about the ride? Have you been able to ride the new Pivot Mach 6 too?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i didnt ride the pivot. i wanted to, as well as the norco sight, but i got there a little late and the larges were being demoed. the troy had a pike, which worked very well, plush. no pedal bob when climbing but good low speed compliance. i am coming from an ellsworth moment, with a 650b front wheel; the troy was more fun. well balanced. worked well with a 50mm stem. with riding a new bike to me, and trails that i am not familiar with, it still was a big winner.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

devinci troy?

The troys are on devinci's website now. They look great. However, I'm confused by the specs on the carbon models. There is $100 difference between the two upper range bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2006

devinci troy?

The $100 difference is X01 1x11 or X0 2x10.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilsern View Post
    The $100 difference is X01 1x11 or X0 2x10.
    Yeah, I noticed that. It just seems more logical to me for them to offer a more affordable 2x10 specced bike priced between where these two are at now and the lower end bike. Bit they're the experts I suppose

mtbr member
    May 2006

devinci troy?

There is a RC carbon model too, SLX/XT mix.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Can anyone tell me what is the shock length (eye to eye and stroke) on the troy?
    And is it an integrated headset?
    Is there any way to put an angleset on this? Changing the headset cups?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregmazo View Post
    Thanks.
    Not integrated. ZS44/ZS56 headtube and yes, you can put an angleset on it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gregmazo View Post
    Can anyone tell me what is the shock length (eye to eye and stroke) on the troy?
    Thanks.
    The shock length is 200mm eye to eye and the stroke is 51mm.

And yes it's integrated. DEVINCI

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo23 View Post
    And yes it's integrated. DEVINCI
    You are correct. Sorry for the misinformation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo23 View Post
    The shock length is 200mm eye to eye and the stroke is 51mm.
    sorry for a Noob question...so in other words sizing is 7.785X2.0 am i correct?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lazymuf View Post
    sorry for a Noob question...so in other words sizing is 7.785X2.0 am i correct?
    Yep, that's it.

My Atlas is my favorite bike and am thinking about getting a Troy. I am very disappointed that they put an integrated headset on Troy. In this day of anglesets, not giving your customer a chance to fine tune the HA is inexcusable. If I wanted a road bike headset I would buy a road bike. I won't even go into the press fit BB. The carbon and red Troy is gorgeous and I like the split-pivot but will probably end up with a Bronson or Heckler due to the fact that it has a threaded BB and a real headset.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip D View Post
    Yep, that's it.

My Atlas is my favorite bike and am thinking about getting a Troy. I am very disappointed that they put an integrated headset on Troy. In this day of anglesets, not giving your customer a chance to fine tune the HA is inexcusable. If I wanted a road bike headset I would buy a road bike. I won't even go into the press fit BB. The carbon and red Troy is gorgeous and I like the split-pivot but will probably end up with a Bronson or Heckler due to the fact that it has a threaded BB and a real headset.
    You're confusing me. Why are these dealbreakers?

EDIT; so the headtube is FULL integrated? Yeah, kinda weird...

Pressfit's a problem because why?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    The Troy and the Atlas use an integrated headset. There are no cups, the bearings sit directly in the frame. This headset is common on road bikes and no one makes an angleset for it. The only reason I can think of using this standard is that it is a few grams lighter due to the lack of cups but that is a really gimmicky thing to do.

Press fit BB vs threaded BB is simple. PF BB is $50+ and throw the old one in the trash to replace vs $15 set of bearings and the old ones go in the metal recycling. My third BB is creaking like crazy. In all my years of MTBing, I've never had a BB creak.

It may not sound like it, but I am huge Devinci fanboy and they have been very good to me over the years with great customer service. I have owned a Dexter and an Atlas and both are great bikes but their are a lot of great bikes out there now. For the first time in a few years, I no longer have a Devinci as I have switched over Santa Cruz for the geometry and component standards.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip D View Post
    ...PF BB is $50+ and throw the old one in the trash to replace vs $15 set of bearings and the old ones go in the metal recycling.

I ordered the Enduro PF92 bb : PRESS-IN MTB BOTTOM BRACKET FROM REAL WORLD CYCLING . I -think- this design with the aluminum cups and standard bearings will allow replacement of just the bearings. This will be my first experience with press fit bottom brackets and can't say I'm really looking forward to it.

JNG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by curbhuck View Post
    Devinci nailed it, talk about street cred... winning the air dh in it's debut

it will be a tough choice between the Troy and the carbon Norco Sight Killer B for my next bike.
    I was really pumped about the Troy (I have a Dexter) but after comparing with the Norco Carbon Sight Killer B I am starting to lean more towards that bike. One thing that has me concerned about the Troy is the very large holes for the cable routing. The Norco Sight has the cables holes buttoned up nicely to keep dirt and water from getting in and working its way down to the bottom bracket:

Best Bike at Norco: Sight LE Carbon - Pinkbike

The Dexter has issues with fine grit getting in some of the pivots. When that happens it makes all kinds of clicking and creaking noises. The very large holes in the Troy frame look like another big maintenance headache waiting to happen.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast