(aka SS_MB-7)

Devinci Moonracer?

I'm looking for some feedback/comments on the 08 Devinci Moonracer SL4. I searched but didn't come-up with anything.

I'm an ex-Expert XC racer looking to get back into XC racing after a couple years off. I spent most of this season on my road bike and recently got back into CX racing, which, has re-invigorated me to want to race MTB next year. With Fall, I've been off the road bike for the last couple weeks and have been back on the MTB and it feels great!

I'm currently riding on a 04 Titus Ti Racer-X 100, which I love! But, it's not the lightest. I'm itchin to get back into racing next year and want a lighter-weight FS XC bike for racing MTB races, enduros and, possibly, solo 24hrs.

With 3" of travel, the Moonracer should be racier than my RX-100. And, at 22lbs, it's ~4lbs lighter than my RX-100, too! There's over a pound difference in the frames alone (2254g vs 2735g)! So, it should be a great race bike with just enough travel to take the edge-off without giving-up much weight to a HT! I put the Moonracer (size M) on the shops digital scale and it was 22.7lbs complete. I've not weighed my Titus in a while, but I bet it's 26lbs...I'm going to the LBS today to weigh it.

My plan is to keep my Titus and use it as my play bike and use the Moonracer as my race/training weapon. My Titus has been very reliable through 5-yrs of hard racing and riding. My only concern with the Moonracer is durability. But, it's backed by a lifetime warranty, so hopefully that won't be a problem.

I can get a new 08 Moonracer now from my LBS for next season at a great deal. I'm hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has used the bike for the 08 season. Any issues?

FYI...I'm 5'6, 135lbs.

One thing I noticed yesterday while looking at the bike in the shop is that it does not have a rear Horst link (it was hard to see from the web pics if it was a pivot). I gather Devinci's higher-travel frames use the Horst link, but the Moonracer does not. How will the suspension compare to my Titus?
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I'd imagine that it uses the flex of the rear chainstays, mainly in the seatstay area to act as the pivot. Sorry, don't know how they handle, but would imagine from experience of my old Magma that they're stiff and fast.

Muskoka

No Horst Link?

Is it Canadian spec or USA spec? I have the Canadian 2004 Moonracer with the Horst Link but it was not available in USA due to patent infringement on Specialized. Therefore Moonracers sold in USA at that time were Faux Bar design. I don't know what they are doing currently but would be surprised that there is no linkage/pivot whatsoever on either seat stay or chain stay. My bike weighs 24 - 24.5 lbs complete and I have the 05 RP3 shock and the 05 carbon fibre straight handle bar. Durability is my least concern with Devinci, a major reason why I bought it in the first place. No bushings, instead sealed needle roller bearings at all pivots. I'm 5'9" and 155-160 lbs and the medium fits me like a glove. I have had zero issues with it. Probably as good a race bike as any out there and definitely better than most.
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 11-06-2008 at 09:11 AM.

Speedhub doc.

what? gears? wt...?

Tell me you're not using gears? what happened to the one speedin"?..either way, maybe we'll see each other on the mtb o- cups again
    Verndog
    Quote Originally Posted by 1speed_Mike
    I'm looking for some feedback/comments on the 08 Devinci Moonracer SL4. I searched but didn't come-up with anything.

I'm an ex-Expert XC racer looking to get back into XC racing after a couple years off. I spent most of this season on my road bike and recently got back into CX racing, which, has re-invigorated me to want to race MTB next year. With Fall, I've been off the road bike for the last couple weeks and have been back on the MTB and it feels great!

I'm currently riding on a 04 Titus Ti Racer-X 100, which I love! But, it's not the lightest. I'm itchin to get back into racing next year and want a lighter-weight FS XC bike for racing MTB races, enduros and, possibly, solo 24hrs.

With 3" of travel, the Moonracer should be racier than my RX-100. And, at 22lbs, it's ~4lbs lighter than my RX-100, too! There's over a pound difference in the frames alone (2254g vs 2735g)! So, it should be a great race bike with just enough travel to take the edge-off without giving-up much weight to a HT! I put the Moonracer (size M) on the shops digital scale and it was 22.7lbs complete. I've not weighed my Titus in a while, but I bet it's 26lbs...I'm going to the LBS today to weigh it.

My plan is to keep my Titus and use it as my play bike and use the Moonracer as my race/training weapon. My Titus has been very reliable through 5-yrs of hard racing and riding. My only concern with the Moonracer is durability. But, it's backed by a lifetime warranty, so hopefully that won't be a problem.

I can get a new 08 Moonracer now from my LBS for next season at a great deal. I'm hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has used the bike for the 08 season. Any issues?

FYI...I'm 5'6, 135lbs.

One thing I noticed yesterday while looking at the bike in the shop is that it does not have a rear Horst link (it was hard to see from the web pics if it was a pivot). I gather Devinci's higher-travel frames use the Horst link, but the Moonracer does not. How will the suspension compare to my Titus?
    Vern Dog the Bike Guy

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vernon VernDog
    Tell me you're not using gears? what happened to the one speedin"?..either way, maybe we'll see each other on the mtb o- cups again
    Verndog
    I sold-off my other SS'ers (CX and Bianchi Pista), but kept my custom Seven Ti HT SS with EBB....just rode it yesterday, as a matter of fact! I could never sell it!

But, for the last couple years, yes, I've been using gears *gasp* on my Titus RX-100. I took a 4-yr "sabbatical" from racing and just wanted to fool around on the bike instead of racing/training. Now, I'm getting back into race-mode.

Ya, I'm hoping to get in some O-Cups next season. We'll see how everything pans-out.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)

I like to ride my bike.
    I'm curious too.

Anyone?
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

Legend
    Nov 2004
    What's the actual question? A guy on my Thursday night ride has an SL3 (same frame) so, if he's there, I can check it out.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by ettore
    What's the actual question? A guy on my Thursday night ride has an SL3 (same frame) so, if he's there, I can check it out.
    I'd like to know his impressions of it. How durable has it been? Any issues with it? Would he buy another one?

Thanks!
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)

I like to ride my bike.
    I know it is a race bike, but is the bike plush?

Much side to side flex?

Is it okay in technical terrain?

Thanks as well!
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

Legend
    Nov 2004
    Ok, I can tell you nkat I know from when I was looking at buying one. When I was shopping for a new FS bike, the Moonracer was what I wanted; too bad the Larges were sold out.

It's a very stiff ride (I would not call it plush unless you're comparing it to a hardtail); tho I consider my '03 Enduro (no Pro-Pedal) to be plush. I would say it's similar to my Santa Cruz SL ('08) for plushness, but a more definitive "feels like pedal strokes are making it to the ground" feeling than my SC.

Side to side flex, I would say more than my Superlight ... tho I chose the Superlight over other multi-pivot systems (Epic) because of this trait. Side to side I would say was a bit better than the Epic ... but bike setup could easily have accounted for this (tires, mostly).

On technical terrain (what we have around here, anyways) the bike shone. I had the advantage of testing a demo-bike so I got to beat on it real good (4+ hrs of riding, yay!). It handles better than my SL, and a lot better than an Epic (turns out that on-off-ness of the BRAIN messed with my riding on the Epic). I was pretty quickly "at one" with the bike; it felt very natural out of the box (so to speak). As it sits, I still want it over my SL, but the SL is no slouch so i'll be keeping it.

As for his opinion, I can tell you he's one of those guys that likes testing a new bike every year (his dad is even worse) but he's keeping the SL3 because he loves it that much (he's got it pretty light now with SID, masterpiece, and other toys ... I think his rig is around 22lb w/XTR pedals). He's not a light boy either; i'd guess 210#, and he's fast and rides a lot ... I know he has had zero problems with that bike (except for this Reba Race that he replaced with a SID, lockout issues of some sort). He got a new job recently, so I hope he's out for the ride where I can ask him more detailed questions (tomorrow will be an amazing riding day, so I expect him to be there).

As a personal thing, the frames are all welded in Canada, and the Red / White paint scheme is amazing. Just thought i'd throw it out there . Also, he's using an '08 frame, I seem to recall. Just go back in the paintjobs to whenever the SL3 was red/white.

I like to ride my bike.
    Thanks! Very helpful!
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Thanks for the info! Greatly appreciated!
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)

Ti is addictive
    Thanks for the info! Greatly appreciated!

My Ti Racer-X is sitting at 23.7 lbs with heavier pedals (970 XTR) and cage. I remember your RX as Chad based my build very similar to yours.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    My Ti Racer-X is sitting at 23.7 lbs with heavier pedals (970 XTR) and cage. I remember your RX as Chad based my build very similar to yours.
    Small world! Nice bike

I just got in from a ride on my Ti RX-100....what a fun ride! After nearly 5 seasons, it's still going strong. I just had to replace the lower DU bushing on my Manitou Swinger 3-Way this week. But, other than that, it's been a really, really reliable frame!

My original specs were:

Since 2004, I'm now using an 07 Reba Team instead of a Fox F100X...I killed it. I'm much happier with the Reba.

I just added a new OS bar/stem (Easton Monkey Lite and EA90). Same overall weight as the FSA XC-115 and FSA K-Force XC 1" bar. I figured, after 5-seasons of hard riding, it was time to retire the original bar.

What are the specs of your bike? Mine isn't overly light...probably 26-26.5lbs. I've got chunky IRC Mythos on though. That's why I'm eyeing the Moonracer SL4 at 22.5lbs!
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)

Ti is addictive
    Small world! Nice bike

I just got in from a ride on my Ti RX-100....what a fun ride! After nearly 5 seasons, it's still going strong. I just had to replace the lower DU bushing on my Manitou Swinger 3-Way this week. But, other than that, it's been a really, really reliable frame!

My original specs were:

Since 2004, I'm now using an 07 Reba Team instead of a Fox F100X...I killed it. I'm much happier with the Reba.

I just added a new OS bar/stem (Easton Monkey Lite and EA90). Same overall weight as the FSA XC-115 and FSA K-Force XC 1" bar. I figured, after 5-seasons of hard riding, it was time to retire the original bar.

What are the specs of your bike? Mine isn't overly light...probably 26-26.5lbs. I've got chunky IRC Mythos on though. That's why I'm eyeing the Moonracer SL4 at 22.5lbs!

Back in 06 Chad put together a very similar spec for me, he used your bike as a guide for mine.

My current build is on the Titus Racer X setup thread. My old one is on there as well. Biggest weight difference is the CF rear on mine vs yours. The frame weight on the small is 5.2 lbs measured with 3 different digital scales. Also I shed a lot of weight by going Mavic Crossmax SLR vs the King to DT 4.1 that I had. You could shed even more weight by rebuilding your wheels with Stans 355/olympics/Race and sealing regular tires.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...24895#poststop
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...49186#poststop
    Last edited by TiEndo; 11-06-2008 at 07:39 PM.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Back in 06 Chad put together a very similar spec for me, he used your bike as a guide for mine.

My current build is on the Titus Racer X setup thread. My old one is on there as well. Biggest weight difference is the CF rear on mine vs yours. The frame weight on the small is 5.2 lbs measured with 3 different digital scales. Also I shed a lot of weight by going Mavic Crossmax SLR vs the King to DT 4.1 that I had. You could shed even more weight by rebuilding your wheels with Stans 355/olympics/Race and sealing regular tires.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...24895#poststop
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...49186#poststop
    Wow, beautiful bikes! I see you have a Ti fetish, too

The new rear triangles are gorgeous! I wonder if I could get a set from Titus for mine?

I know I could shed some weight off my RX if I really wanted to. But, after 5-seasons, I'm looking for something new I'm still going to keep my RX as my "play" bike and will keep it as a back-up race bike. I bought my RX for the 04 TransRockies and it worked perfectly!

My intentions with the Devinci are to race it at O-Cups and Q-Cups, as well as, trying to get my butt back into Endurance racing (8 and 24-hr solos). As it stands, there is really nothing I'd change on the Devinci (with the exception of tires) and it should make an excellent race bike! At 22.5lbs, it's not going to be giving-up too much to a light-weight HT. But, I'll gain the benefits of 3" of rear travel to help over the long-haul.

I've only taken the Devinci for a quick rip and it seems stiff laterally. I'm only 135lbs, so I don't flex frames too badly. There's no rear pivot on the chain or seatstay, so that should keep things stiff, too. A local female racer used her Moonracer SL3 for this 08 season and she loves it! No probs with it at all! This included a 3-day MTB Stage race through a lot of muck and bogs, etc.

I noticed from your bio that your are in Fernie....beautiful! I raced the TransRockies in 04...almost didn't come home, I loved BC so much! I'm going to try and get back out there again. A buddy of mine is giong to be moving out there next summer. He bought a place site-unseen.

Also noticed that you've got a Moots RigorMootis....I was seriously considering this against the Devinci Moonracer SL4. I've always wanted a Moots. But, I'm leaning towards a light-weight FS-XC instead of a Ti HT. I love Ti HTs, but as I get older, I'm realizing that the benefits of a FS-XC over the longer durations will benefit more than a couple pounds on a frame.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)