Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: devinci dixon

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    not fussed by 650bb, imo there are too few lightweight, carbon, pure 150mm bikes out there with properly slack geometry as standard, the list is like 5 bikes long if that!! devinci and evil need to get the carbon dixon and uprising sorted asap!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Finally building up my 2011 Dixon RC and noticed the last brake hose guide on my frame rear triangle is only welded on one end unlike the rest of the guides. While moving the hose, the guide threatens to break off from the chain stay. I uses plastic hose guide clamps that snaps on to the guides to hold the hoses.

Wrote to Devinci minutes ago, waiting for a reply from them currently. Just wondering any of Dixon owners out there has such problem.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    What are you all running for rear sag on your dixons? Currently i am running 25% and cannot get the last 5-7mm of shock travel. I'm riding fairly aggressively with drops.

mtbr member
    Saw the carbon Dixon at Crankworx in Whistler. I think that is my next bike. Spent a day on the Wilson. Did Kyber Pass on that bike and I was blown away on how capable that frame is.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Tinier i like your cycle...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What do you guys do to enable trail side der hanger replacement? Looks like carrying a wrench to get it replaced is the only option, any other ideas?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hey all, what sort of rear sag are you running on your dixon? I'm running 26-275% which is about 20psi below my riding weight. I never use full travel but at the same time I don't feel like it's ramping up nicely on bigger hits. I was considering trying a monarch or vivid btw, right I have the RP23 kashima.

mtbr member
    That's pretty much what I ride, maybe a little more sag, like 27.5-30%. I have an RP2 and I also set it pretty close to 20 psi below my riding weight. I don't do big drops or jumps however.

I find it's really sensitive when you get close to that sweet spot.
    Guillaume

mtbr member
    hello all,
    does someone had a Transition Covert before a Devinci Dixon and can explain to me the difference between this 2 frames in downhill and climbing section ?
    I'm looking to change my Covert and I think the Devinci would be very good in Enduro race and Downhill marathon like the megavalanche.

26 ain't dead
    Went to the Outerbike event in Moab and sampled a Dixon Carbon SL and I must say it was my favorite bike of the 11 I rode, with the Santa Cruz Blur TRc and Mach 4 also top bikes (also rode the Ibis Mojo HD, SL-R, Mach 5.7, Firebird, Nomad, Tracer 275, Jekyll, and Trance X 29er).

I just happened to ride the Dixon as my first bike on friday and loved it instantly, it's just a real "playful" and fun bike to ride in that kind of terrain. I was manualing that bike over everything. Really seems to reward aggressive riding. And just to make sure that my first test impression wasn't biased due to being fresh, I rode it again Sunday and still loved the thing.

My only gripe was the Fox 32 CTD fork is mediocre, and the tire rubs on the chainstay during hard cornering or climbing (Hans Dampf 2.3).

I'm seriously considering this as my next bike, although lack of dealers around here is also a problem...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by -Chainslap- View Post
    Went to the Outerbike event in Moab and sampled a Dixon Carbon SL and I must say it was my favorite bike of the 11 I rode, with the Santa Cruz Blur TRc and Mach 4 also top bikes (also rode the Ibis Mojo HD, SL-R, Mach 5.7, Firebird, Nomad, Tracer 275, Jekyll, and Trance X 29er).

I just happened to ride the Dixon as my first bike on friday and loved it instantly, it's just a real "playful" and fun bike to ride in that kind of terrain. I was manualing that bike over everything. Really seems to reward aggressive riding. And just to make sure that my first test impression wasn't biased due to being fresh, I rode it again Sunday and still loved the thing.

My only gripe was the Fox 32 CTD fork is mediocre, and the tire rubs on the chainstay during hard cornering or climbing (Hans Dampf 2.3).

I'm seriously considering this as my next bike, although lack of dealers around here is also a problem...
    Impressive considering some of the other bike you rode. Love the Dixon but won't consider it now until Devinci makes it a 650B. Then we will see. Same with the Pivot 5.7 which I kind of lust for but only in 650B if/when.

Interested to hear your thoughts on the other bikes you rode and how they rate/ride or did you post in individual forums?
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

26 ain't dead
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Impressive considering some of the other bike you rode. Love the Dixon but won't consider it now until Devinci makes it a 650B. Then we will see. Same with the Pivot 5.7 which I kind of lust for but only in 650B if/when.

Interested to hear your thoughts on the other bikes you rode and how they rate/ride or did you post in individual forums?
    I haven't posted my thoughts on the other bikes yet but I'll do a short review on them here and probably write some reports over the next few weeks.

First and foremost, I'm a moto trials guy by trade so my riding style tends to be more about finesse and line choice than just bombing through everything. So I really like the nimble and quick bikes. But most if the rides I do are pretty technical and the guys I ride with mostly ride ~160mm bikes (I'm on a Trance X built up burly with a 140mm fork). So I figured I would focus on the bigger travel bikes and see if I liked them. And I still have the most fun on 26" wheels, although I can get along with any of the wheel sizes really.

With that here's some thoughts, on how I liked the bikes for riding out there. I might like some of them a lot more if I were riding somewhere else. Most of these bikes were ridden on the Circle O trail, and some of the XC loops in the Bar M area.

Blur TRc: After I got off the Nomad and expressed my ambivalence to that bike, Bamma(?) at Santa Cruz agreed and recommended I try the TRc after discussing my riding style. He was spot on with this ride. Only 130mm of travel but handles like it's on rails, really nimble and light, surprisingly good on drops, and overall a hoot to ride. This is a strong contender for my next bike. And I see they are selling frames for $1500 on the SC site, not sure what year frame it is though, looks like 2012?

Santa Cruz Bicycles

Mach 4: I've been thinking about getting a more pure bred XC bike for racing and liked the specs on this bike so gave it a shot. Blast to ride on the XC trails out there, but I haven't ridden much else in the XC bike category so can't compare to much...felt like a racer on it though, ha.

Pivot 5.7 carbon: I think this bike was juts plagued with poor setup. Had a loooong stem, narrow bars, and a dinky Fox 32 CTD. (I didn't like a single one of those Fox CTD forks to begin with). Felt really unbalanced and rather "clapped out". I would like to ride another with a proper setup for me before I rag on it too much or form an opinion.

Nomad carbon: I would say this is by far the most popular bike with the guys I ride with, although they all say the 08 frame is best and ride that almost exclusively. They must be right since this bike just didn't do anything for me. Seat angle felt like it was about 45 and just overall an awkward bike for me to ride. Good on the descents, but not much fun to grind out uphill or pedal along the slickrock.

Mojo HD: Really wanted to love this bike, and it was good, but didn't blow me away by any means. The best of the 160mm bikes I rode though. I will say the Ibis guys were great and spent the most time setting the bike up and making sure I was happy with it. It also had some heavier components on it compared to the Dixon and others so I think if it were equivalent in the weight category it would be a strong contender.

SL-R: I liked this bike better than the HD for the terrain out there, quicker and more nimble. Good bike that was probably my 4th favorite. Both of the Ibis's were good but not memorable really?

Firebird: Surprisingly efficient and fun for how heavy it was, but still seemed to use the travel rather quickly. If I was doing a lot of shuttling and wanted a big bike for ugly terrain I'd probably go with this, but overkill for most of the riding I do.

Trance X wagon wheeler: I like my 26" Trance X and the 29 version is a pretty damn good bike. They did a good job making this feel like the 26er but with the big wheels. I still think Giant has some of the best deals on bikes out there.

Tracer 275: Ugh. Heavy, super clunky feeling, soft rear end with another harsh CTD Fox (36mm though). 2nd least favorite...

Jekyll: What a weird bike. Heavy, struck the pedals on everything, kept rubbing my ankles on the chainstays, medicore suspension that was scary on some of the sharp square edge rocks. Least favorite...

Basically I learned that pedaling around a 160mm bike just so I can do the bigger drops and steep downs isn't really worth the extra effort they are to ride elsewhere for me. I like doing long rides that have a mix of everything from mellow XC to rocky downhills. So I'm still looking for a do all bike, which will inherently have compromises but the Dixon or Blur TRc fits that bill the best for me thus far. Ideally, I would like to ride some of the bikes on the loops I'm familiar with, but that's not going to happen.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Excellent, thanks for those quick reviews. BTW I've badgered Devinci to build a 650B Dixon. I hope they do.

Sounds like we like similar conditions (I'm a long time enduro/trail guy in rock infested New England) and I think 150mm is the max I would go for an all day do it all bike. Hell, I have guys smoking me on 100mm hardtails...in the rocks no less. Arrrggg!

Sounds like you really need to retest a properly set up 5.7C as soooo many rave about that bike
    Retest a Mojo HD in 140 mode (converts to 650B in that state) and you might like it better?
    Test a Carbine 275 for sure. Fantastic reviews so far. Your thoughts are what I imagined for the Tracer 275
    2013 Rocky Altitude. LOVE LOVE LOVE this bike on paper and can't wait to try. You should check out one of those also. 150mm travel
    2013 Norco Sight. Awesome bike comes in 26" and 650B versions. 140mm travel
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

26 ain't dead
    Mark recommended I try the Mojo HD in the 140 setting and I am planning on doing this soon. I do like the idea of being able to run it that way and having a 160mm setup if I do a shuttle ride or something.

Couldn't get on a Carbine although it was on my list. Going to demo a RM Altitude in a couple weeks as they are going to be in Prescott with the demo rigs. Also haven't had a chance to ride a Norco but I would certainly give one of those a shot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    At 5'11" and 32-33" in-seam do I fit a Medium or Large frame?

TX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Sylvain View Post
    At 5'11" and 32-33" in-seam do I fit a Medium or Large frame?

TX
    You could probably fit on one or the other depending on you riding position preference.

Personally, I'm 5'10" and got a large frame. The extra inch on the top tube was the main factor in my decision. I wanted to be able to ride the bike with a 50 to 70mm stem without feeling too cramped. I find the longer wheel base also provides a bit of extra stability which I like.
    Guillaume

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by guilev View Post
    You could probably fit on one or the other depending on you riding position preference.

Personally, I'm 5'10" and got a large frame. The extra inch on the top tube was the main factor in my decision. I wanted to be able to ride the bike with a 50 to 70mm stem without feeling too cramped. I find the longer wheel base also provides a bit of extra stability which I like.
    Merci. Large it is.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by guilev View Post

I also chose a size L. I'm 178cm and have a longish torso. I also come from a size M Yeti SB66 thats got the same TT as a L Dixon. I'm running a 50mm stem and 740mm bars.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilsern View Post
    I also chose a size L. I'm 178cm and have a longish torso. I also come from a size M Yeti SB66 thats got the same TT as a L Dixon. I'm running a 50mm stem and 740mm bars.
    You switched from the SB66 to the Dixon? May I ask why?

BTW, I purchased the Dixon. The weather is not very good so I haven't had the chance to try it. A 36 Float is on the way. I don't like the feel of a 150mm Float 32 that I tried on a friend's Super-D.

I also need to get a 50-60mm stem. My bars are 740mm.

Below is the picture from the seller. I have added my KS Lev to it. It has a Fox RP23 instead of the Monarch and I have also swapped bars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails devinci dixon-devince-dixon-rc-2012.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You switched from the SB66 to the Dixon? May I ask why?

BTW, I purchased the Dixon. The weather is not very good so I haven't had the chance to try it. A 36 Float is on the way. I don't like the feel of a 150mm Float 32 that I tried on a friend's Super-D.

I also need to get a 50-60mm stem. My bars are 740mm.

Below is the picture from the seller. I have added my KS Lev to it. It has a Fox RP23 instead of the Monarch and I have also swapped bars.
    First: VERY NICE LOOKING BIKE!!

The company i work for just became the distributor of Devinci, and I ended up ordering the Carbon SL and a Leo SL X. Can't wait for them to arrive! It's gonna be a loooooong winter.

I do really enjoy the ride of the SB66, but it does have its issues and some of them I'm sure will be better on the Dixon. The SB is quite heavy compared to many other frames in the same category, my frame exceeded 8pounds. I'm also a bit sceptic to the bearings on the Yeti. From what I've heard the Switch system does take alot of beating, and the bearings are not cheep to replace. So far, so good on mine, but I've not been able to ride too much this summer.

On my Devinci my plan is to swopp out the 32 Fox to a Lyrik DH trimmed down to 150mm. Also adding bars and stem as mentioned above.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thank you!

We're thinking alike. I am also planning to drop the Float from 160 to 150. I was unsure about the stem length but will try a 50mm based on your feedback. Cheers!

mtbr member
    I am also planning to drop the Float from 160 to 150.
    Right on. I think you will find the bike very balanced with the Float36 set to 150mm. I also have a Dixon and SB66. They are both fantastic bikes, but quite different. The longer TT (for a given size) is nice on the Yeti and allows a shorter stem without going up a frame size larger than I would normally use. The Yeti also pedals noticeably better, but the Dixon is a bit more progressive and as mentioned, a bit lighter. The weight of the SB has never been an issue as the suspension works so efficiently and I'm still on original bearings at just under a year of use. Enjoy the Dixon, it's a great bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I finally rode the bike today. I enjoyed it but I thought the ride was a bit harsh. Certainly some suspension tune-up to do. However I was wondering what shock do you use on your Dixon? I had a RS Monarch RC3 and thought it was really smooth on the Canfield One. The eye-to-eye is not the same so I cannot transfer the shock but would consider getting one to replace the RP2 XV. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

2013 ordered

Hi Evil

I've seen you sometime on vmqca.qc.ca.

I've ordered a 2013 carbon Dixon RX.

D'you ride a Large frame?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    That new carbon Dixon is really nice! Congrats!
    Yes I ride a large one. I'm 5'11" with 34 in-seam.
    Cheers.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast