Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: devinci dixon

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bulletboy View Post
    So, are there any shops in PA that sell these?

I'd love to take a look at one before I drop the coin... riding would be even better.

Where about in PA are you?
    "Being smart and fit is expensive, but not as expensive as being fat and dumb" - 9.8m/s/s

Single Track Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by pspwesty View Post
    Where about in PA are you?
    Northeastern PA, near Stroudsburg Pa. 18360
    Will ride singletrack for food...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    anyone own a nomad2 before their dixon? Opinions?
    I had a Nomad Carbon before the Dixon. Anything specific you'd like to know? They are both great bikes. I like the steeper seat tube angle on the Dixon as well as the shorter chainstays. Suspension characteristics are pretty different, but both work well.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy View Post
    I had a Nomad Carbon before the Dixon. Anything specific you'd like to know? They are both great bikes. I like the steeper seat tube angle on the Dixon as well as the shorter chainstays. Suspension characteristics are pretty different, but both work well.

I would run a 36 160 on a Dixon, currently have a 36 180 on a nomad. Less travel aside, do you feel the Dixon is as capable as the nomad? Are the frames similar in stiffness? Will the Dix accept tires as wide as the nomad? I've run tires as wide as maxxis 2.7 on the nomad no issues, but typically I run specialized 2.5, sometimes 2.3.

What attracts me to the Dix is the slack HA with a 160,(should be very similar to a nomad with a 180) steeper seat tube angle, (nomad with a 180 has a pretty slack STA) and I like the simplicity of the split pivot design. I've owned an 04 Ollie so I know devinci's are put together well.

I'm growing tired of blowing through 160mm of linear travel all the time with the nomad, does the Dix ramp up a bit, or is it linear like the nomad? How would you compare the travel on the DH between the two. Also, please comment on climbing discrepancies.

thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    FYI
    2012 Dixon RC factory spec. Pulled out of box with all the tie wraps and cardboard protective wrap still on, no pedals. Weighed in on the Park digital scale at 28.08 lbs
    Won't have build complete for a while due to holiday work.

Forgot to add it's a Medium.

Got lucky and the Fox RP2 is spec for rear shock, but came with a RP23 instead
    Last edited by TKsDust; 12-06-2011 at 07:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Somebody has a dixon in size M with 160mm lyrik, want to know if it's not overkill, the 160mm travel for the geo of the bike. A slacker head angle is not so bad.

mtbr member
    I've mine with a zochi 55 and I don't feel overkill, but with 150mm suspension will go up much easier...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by xsalirx View Post
    I've mine with a zochi 55 and I don't feel overkill, but with 150mm suspension will go up much easier...
    I will use it more for enduro downhill.
    Want to build it up with a 160mm lyrik, 1x10speed, adjustable seatpost, 50mm stem.

mtbr member
    May 2005

650B tire clearance?

Really cool bike. Hits on so many of my wish list points, love the quality, clean and lean look, Split Pivot, different factor, and actually made in Canada not some Chinese factory. Lifetime frame warranty oh yeah!

Now can someone who owns one of these take a real close up pic of the front chain stay arch and the seat stay brace areas so I can see the clearance available.

I've got this thing for 650B wheels and it would be awesome if one would fit (2.3" Pacenti Neo-Moto) the Dixon triangle. This rim/tire actually only requires 1/2" more of clearance than a 26" rim/tire combo (650B rim/tire approx 1" more total diameter than 26" rim/tire not 1.5" like the size suggests) Yeah, these do make a nice difference and especially the front which will work in any Fox fork with no clearance issues. If you use these wheels F/B you raise the BB about 1/2". Good for me becasue I live in the rocks of New England. Used only on the front it slightly slackens the HA with improved roll over and cornering grip. I've yet to read a negative review of anyone putting a 650B on the front of their 26" bike. No, I do not want a 29'r.

Thanks!
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I've been trying to find a way to get the maxle 12mm to fit. I ordered a 142x12mm from CRC but it was way too short. So I looked through the Rockshox's maxle dimensions, none of them could fit our Dixon's axle which was about 194mm.
    http://www.bike-discount.de/pdf/products/4353.pdf <--Rockshox's dimensions pdf file.

135's axle - 167mm
    142's axle - 174mm
    150's axle - 182mm
    Dixon axle - 194mm (from my own measurement)

Then I found Trek's ABP maxle, which was about 192mm. It's about 2mm shorter, but it still fits with plenty of threads engaged in the frame. So far so good. I ordered my Trek ABP maxle from ebay because the local dealers are a real pain to deal with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails devinci dixon-408202_10150732990553504_765303503_12577436_1777883195_n.jpg  

devinci dixon-409293_10150732990433504_765303503_12577435_1636635371_n.jpg  

devinci dixon-398709_10150732990753504_765303503_12577439_792534953_n.jpg  

devinci dixon-400482_10150732991253504_765303503_12577441_500353917_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Stylomat View Post
    Somebody has a dixon in size M with 160mm lyrik, want to know if it's not overkill, the 160mm travel for the geo of the bike. A slacker head angle is not so bad.
    Yes, I have. Climbs just as well as it did with 150s on. I measured the head angle at 65.9 degrees.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Really cool bike. Hits on so many of my wish list points, love the quality, clean and lean look, Split Pivot, different factor, and actually made in Canada not some Chinese factory. Lifetime frame warranty oh yeah!

Now can someone who owns one of these take a real close up pic of the front chain stay arch and the seat stay brace areas so I can see the clearance available.

I've got this thing for 650B wheels and it would be awesome if one would fit (2.3" Pacenti Neo-Moto) the Dixon triangle. This rim/tire actually only requires 1/2" more of clearance than a 26" rim/tire combo (650B rim/tire approx 1" more total diameter than 26" rim/tire not 1.5" like the size suggests) Yeah, these do make a nice difference and especially the front which will work in any Fox fork with no clearance issues. If you use these wheels F/B you raise the BB about 1/2". Good for me becasue I live in the rocks of New England. Used only on the front it slightly slackens the HA with improved roll over and cornering grip. I've yet to read a negative review of anyone putting a 650B on the front of their 26" bike. No, I do not want a 29'r.

Thanks!
    I don't have pictures, but I doubt this will work. I've got 2.4" nobby nics, and there is not much clearance. If a rock gets stuck in the tread it hits the arch.

The bike otherwise seems awesome for your purposes!

Climbs really well with a Lyric at 160

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy View Post
    I'm very interested in your impressions of the Dixon, especially compared to the Nomad since I'm familiar with VPP. Do you think it's as versatile as the Nomad? What shocks are you running with the Dixon?
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Here's mine (at home after a muddy weekend).

2011 Dixon SL frame, large, slack setting
    RP23 modified with 0.4 cu in (mid size) Fox air volume tuning spacer
    2012 Fox Factory Kashima Float 32 FIT RLC 150 QR15
    XTR M988 Trail wheels
    Continental Baron 2.3 front tire
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 UST rear tire
    XTR M970 crank running 1x Renthal 34T chainring
    XTR M985 Shadow Plus GS (medium cage) rear derailleur
    XTR M980 rear shifter (separate clamp)
    XT cassette 11-36 10 speed
    XT chain 10 speed
    MRP Lopes BB-fit chain device
    XTR M988 Trail brakes
    XTR Ice-Tec 180mm centre-lock rotors front and rear
    Thomson Elite X4 70x0 stem
    Easton Haven 711mm carbon bar
    Devinci lock-on grips
    RockShox Reverb seatpost
    Selle Italia Flite saddle
    DMR Vault flat pedals

I'm loving the Dixon. I've now had a couple of rides since getting it in its sweet spot and the bike is just so much fun to ride. Very confidence inspiring, very comfortable in the air.

This is my first go at 1x10 and my first go with flat pedals. It has been a learning curve, but I'm getting used to it.

Most disappointing component is the fork. It feels a bit floppy, might be starting to creak and needs to be re-lubed every two weeks or so. Same old Fox behaviour means it is difficult to see much more than 120mm travel from this 150mm fork. When it is working, it feels OK but I keep thinking it shouldn't be as harsh as it is.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Anyone know what the exact measurements are of the shock hard for the Dixon?

mtbr member
    does anyone know the measures of the rear shox of the 2011 dixon, I'm want to try the rock shox monarch plus...

thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hi all!
    This is my first post so I apologise for any lack of forum etiquette!
    Has anyone seen any pics of the XL frame or even complete build?
    Also since I am of oaf like proportions (6'6" 250lbs) would you recommend this bike for general trail riding, jumps, drops and a bit of DH, all in the UK?
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DougieSmash View Post
    Hi all!
    This is my first post so I apologise for any lack of forum etiquette!
    Has anyone seen any pics of the XL frame or even complete build?
    Also since I am of oaf like proportions (6'6" 250lbs) would you recommend this bike for general trail riding, jumps, drops and a bit of DH, all in the UK?
    Cheers
    Even heavy riders can ride light. Technique can be the difference between a jump or drop being a big peak load or being smooth, so I am going to ignore your weight and just talk about the bike. If you're a bike breaker who cases jumps eight times out of ten, you should be buying the strongest bike you can or something disposable.

The Dixon ramps up the suspension ratio deep in the stroke, so it does the bottomless feel thing. You can push hard into the deep travel and it will soak up the hit. for the bigger rider you can use the shock's propedal setting to control compression events. Dave Weagle tells us this is part of the design. To prevent wallowing you might think about using one of the air can volume reducers - these will come with the frame.

So it is a great frame that rides aggressively and begs to have a solid build put around it. the bb height is taller than some, so if you go for a 160 fork it will be taller still. Mine is on a Bos Deville 140mm fork which keeps it at same angles as a fox 32 150 but is a lot tougher. At 6'1", I ride a large with a 70mm stem.

for the xl, you will need a 2012 frame. I'd give Freeborn a call to check on availability. they are great bikes that look good and aren't all that common.

recommended.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    petercarm, sounds like you like the bike but you also have experience posted on other bikes you own. How does the Dixon stack up against the other bikes you own? Suspension feel, geometry, etc.
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Aust95 View Post
    petercarm, sounds like you like the bike but you also have experience posted on other bikes you own. How does the Dixon stack up against the other bikes you own? Suspension feel, geometry, etc.
    I'm currently able to choose between my Dixon and a Yeti SB-66. The Dixon came about because I'd been tweaking parts on the Yeti and discovered I had enough spare to be close to having another bike. The Dixon frame gave me the excuse I needed.

The Yeti geometry is definitely longer in the top tube.

Shorter stem on the Yeti (55mm) vs the Dixon (70mm) - the reach ends up about the same.
    Wider bars on the Yeti (750mm) vs the Dixon (711mm).
    Wheels are very similar: Yeti (Fulcrum Red Zone XLR) vs Dixon (Mavic Crossmax SX)
    Tyres: Yeti (Bonty XR4 TLR 2.35f/Bonty XR2 TLR 2.3r) vs Dixon (Bonty XR4 TLR 2.2f/Maxxis Ignitor LUST 2.3r)
    Drivetrain: Yeti (2x10 - 26/38T x 11/36) vs Dixon (1x10 - 34T x 11/36 with chain device)
    Forks: Yeti (Bos Deville 160 TRC taper) vs Dixon (Bos Deville 140 taper)

By my reckoning, the geometry ends up very similar. The fit is certainly good on both bikes.

The draggier rear tyre on the Dixon is noticeable. Ignoring that difference, they both pedal remarkably well. The Dixon is really solid under pedalling input, but perhaps feels like that pedalling performance is at the cost of bump absorption when under power. The Yeti achieves the trick of feeling just as efficient but is also able to soak up hits while you're pedalling, (Climbing: Dixon=8, Yeti=9)

Technical singletrack riding is most of what I do, riding as aggressively hard and fast as I know how. No complaints with either. With the big fork, the Yeti is a degree slacker than the Dixon. The Yeti's RP23 has been retuned to have a firmer damping; it can be a bit harsh as a result. The Dixon needs a little help to keep it from wallowing on big hits - this can be tuned out with the propedal settings and air can volume reducers. Both are solid confidence inspiring performers. The Dixon feels like the smaller bike but has worse standover. The Yeti is linear. The Dixon is progressive. Both are good in the air. (Handling: Dixon=9, Yeti=9)

I don't know how much further to go in describing both bikes. They are both very good. The yeti somehow feels more sophisticated (suspension feel), but the Dixon just gets on with doing its thing in a simple, unfussy way. The Dixon copes better with mud and the elements and is very easy to live with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by petercarm View Post
    I'm currently able to choose between my Dixon and a Yeti SB-66.
    I too have the same bikes (oddly enough) and agree with your summary on the characteristics - very well put. I'm 5'9" and on mediums (50mm stem on the Yeti/70mm stem on the Devinci). I really like both bikes and got to check out a full carbon Dixon last week - looks awesome.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    seems like Devinci has an awesome line of products for the MTB market and many things are going well for them (split pivot, Canadian made, lifetime warranty) but it looks like they're not getting the amount of exposure and hype they deserve (IMHO).

any suggestions why its like that ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by xsalirx View Post
    does anyone know the measures of the rear shox of the 2011 dixon, I'm want to try the rock shox monarch plus...

thanks
    200mm/57mm

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    anyone else seen the pics of the new carbon dixon? looks sweet as, hoping they've lowered the bb and lengthened the toptube abit, then it could well be the perfect am rig.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lawman1991 View Post
    anyone else seen the pics of the new carbon dixon? looks sweet as, hoping they've lowered the bb and lengthened the toptube abit, then it could well be the perfect am rig.
    Yeah, lower the BB and make it fit 650B wheels (which it just might already with the measurements I got from Devinci)
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast