Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JNG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Devinci Dexter Custom Build

Devinci Dexter Custom Build-dexter-right-side.jpgDevinci Dexter Custom Build-dexter-left-side.jpgDevinci Dexter Custom Build-dexter-right-side.jpg
    Devinci Dexter Custom Build-p321-adapter-1.jpg
    Dexter Frameset – Large 110mm travel
    Dexter 142x12 Thru Axle Conversion Kit
    Devinci Chainstay Protector
    2013 Carbon Lefty PBR - 110mm travel
    P321 Lefty Adapter
    Arch EX 26” Rims with P321 Hubs
    Kenda Slant Six DTC Tires
    2013 XO Brakes (Ti Rotor Bolts)
    XX1 Crankset with 38tooth chainring
    XX1 Chain
    XX1 Derailleur
    XX1 Trigger Shifter
    Aerozine XP1.0 Seatpost
    Fizik Tundra 2 Braided Saddle
    Crank Bros Egg Beater 3’s with Ward Industries Ti Spindles
    Easton EC70XC Highrise Carbon Bar
    Thomson 90mm Elite X4 Stem
    Cane Creek 110 Series Headset –Tall
    ODI –SDG grip
    Race Face Crank boots
    Last edited by JNG; 09-30-2013 at 10:58 AM.

JNG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Help from Jake at Project 321 made the Lefty conversion very easy.

After 2 test rides I have switched the FIZIK Tundra 2 Braided for the Gobi XM braided model for a little more comfort. I have also switched the Kenda Slant Six Tires for Schwalbe Nobby Nics to shave a little weight.

My only complaint is with the XX1 derailleur. After a couple of rides it creaks and clicks. Pedaling hard while the suspension is moving brings on the clicking. Either the clutch design is flawed or it was assembled wrong at the factory.

My LBS has a new one on the way under warranty from SRAM. ETA on the replacement derailleur - about 2 months...
    Last edited by JNG; 06-26-2013 at 10:34 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hi, nice bike! What's its current weight?

JNG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Current Weight?

Thanks,

With the changes that I noted in post #2 it currently weighs exactly 24lbs.

Devinci Dexter Custom Build-dexter-weight.jpg

Norðwegr
    Any pics of this bike, sounds nice!

mtbr member
    I had a Dexter and it was one of the most fun bikes I have ever had. After being on 29er's for a while, it felt like a dirt jump rocket ship on the trails. I would still be riding it if someone hadn't drove their truck over it. I also would like to thank Devinci for their CS. I bought my frame used and they allowed me to purchase an alloy Atlas frame at crash replacement price to replace it.

My guess is that the Dexter is going to be 650b'd for the upcoming year. Might have to get another one. I just wish they get rid of the press fit BB(dexter uses BB30) and integrated HS. Those are 2 of the dumbest things ever put on a mtn bike.

I too would like to see pics of your setup.

mtbr member
    Hey JNG, slick bike!! hope you dont mind me sort of hijacking the thread, but I would love some thoughts.

I was thinking of swapping the build on my HT to a dexter. its really more a burly trail build than anything remotely close to racy. the fork is a 09 Pike with 110-145mm of u-turn adjust travel.

riser bars, pretty aggressive wheels, chainguide, etc... theres a pic here Dexter with an '09 Pike U-turn 110-140mm travel...thoughts - Pinkbike Forum

What do y'all think?

the reason for the potential project is that i feel like im getting rattled too much on my HT after a TON of rain caused erosion on my local trails.

Im not a racer, but would love it if this lighten up the total build (probably would as that HT is burly steel) since i have long travel rig for DH/FR/AM

Thanks!

JNG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    The Devinci built Dexter's come with a 100mm fork. I have a 110mm Lefty on mine and was told by customer service that someone in their shop used a 140mm fork on one.

I would jump on the frame that is available from your local bike shop because Devinci discontinued the Dexter frameset for 2014. I am not sure why it was discontinued because it is a fantastic frame!
    Last edited by JNG; 08-12-2014 at 06:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks so much for the feedback. There's not much online about these, so that's great to see. I'm thinking I can get away with a bit longer fork in the low bb setting. Looks like a super fun whip! So how has the bike been treating you now that you've had a couple months on it.

The thing that's really selling me is getting a nice xc ride with a lifetime warranty on closeout prices. And the fact that I'm a total Dave Weagle fanboy is icing on the cake

I assume it is discontinued because the market sort of moved away from a bike like this within the last year

JNG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    This bike is fantastic. I have experimented back and forth and decided that the high bb setting is the way to go. Even with the 110mm front fork there wasn't enough chainring clearance over some of the big rocks on the trails that I ride most frequently. On the higher setting I have no problems with clearance and it steepens the steering tube angle for more responsive steering with the 110mm fork.

Do not try the XX1 drivetrain with this frameset. When I was planning this build, the word from SRAM to Devinci was that XX1 would not fit. Later Devinci tried it and said it fits so I bought the components. It turns out that they were both correct. It fits but it doesn't fit well. The high and low derailleur stops don't adjust properly. The high stop does not move outboard enough. The jockey wheel is supposed to be lined up with the outboard edge of the 10 tooth cog. It doesn't even come close. To remedy this I used a 1.5mm stainless steel washer. With that the jockey wheel lines up perfectly with the outboard edge of the small cog BUT on the Low gear stop I found that it doesn't line up properly with the washer in place. On that end of things the jockey wheel is supposed to be lined up with the center of the cog. The most I can adjust it too is slightly inboard.
    Last night I swapper out the 1.5mm spacer for two thinner washers, 0.3mm + 0.5mm washers for a total of 0.8mm (instead of 1.5mm). That thickness seems to be the best I can hope for. The High gear stop is perfect and the Low gear stop is very close to perfect alignment. With the 1.5mm washer, it sounded gritty when turning the cranks while sitting on my bike stand. Now that sound is gone.

I am pretty sure that this winter I am going to put the XX1 drivetrain on the my Cannondale Flash 1. On the Dexter I am going to try an XX1 crankset with a 10sp Shimano XTR M986 derailleur, shifter and chain for a 1x10 setup.

mtbr member
    thanks for the feedback. yeah, devinci website doesnt say the geo adjust impacts travel, but with my experience on my other bike with a similar style travel adjust, the high setting has more rear wheel travel. and i may have stated it backwards with my other comment, that if i want to run a bigger fork around 120-130, the high setting is best to keep geo intact

EDIT: these geo adjustments arent perfect because it would be NICE if you could steepening the head angle did not require an increase in BB height because adding fork length will already increase BB height. i will eventually be trying it in a number of different geo and fork travel settings and report back

so it sounds like your derailleur/ rear hub spacing is off from normal and that the der hanger/position is shifted outward (away from center of hub) than standard?

i have a really odd drivetrain that will go on this build, but i think i'll be OK if I understand you correct.

its a custom 6 speed cluster (made out of 10speed stuff) put on a hope pro2 single speed hub. So my tallest gear is somewhere around where your 7th or 8th largest cog is on your 11 speed. this is done because a wheel built on SS hub is not dished and that makes for a stronger and stiffer rear wheel

im still waiting to get this frame but its all but a done deal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have just recently built up a dexte also, yet to ride it weather just turned...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Devinci Dexter Custom Build-20131207_144820.jpg  

Devinci Dexter Custom Build-20131207_144804.jpg  

Devinci Dexter Custom Build-20131207_144602.jpg  

Devinci Dexter Custom Build-20131207_144613.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice! Luckily, the trails around me do well with water, so the nasty conditions haven't stopped me from riding.

Loving the bike...so much that it has me contemplating upgrades...it is a nice rear wheel, but the 540g rim is a bit much for trail/xc riding.

Devinci Dexter Custom Build-img_20131209_104204.jpg

Devinci Dexter Custom Build-img_20131207_082814_zpsb3a34eb5.jpg

mtbr member
    I will say something about my experience with the frame that was not intuitive for me at first: for my riding, the bike feels most dialed in low BB setting with the fork at about 130-135mm.

I found this setting is the one where I can most easily balance the bike with no hands on the bars while pedaling...IMO, this is an acid-test for determining how balanced/dialed a setup is.

To me, this means that the bike was clearly designed to handle longer forks. They must have stocked them with 100m forks for marketing purposes.

This thing has me feeling extremely stoked to go out and ride!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Coming from a 09 Rocky Mountain element 30, i was wanting something with more travel and comfort, I don't race (just been back on a bike the last 2 years), so any insight you can give would be appreciated... Daryl

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daryll25 View Post
    ... so any insight you can give would be appreciated... Daryl
    the only insight I can give is to turn the camera horizontal next time you go to take a picture.

only kidding, what's your question? looks like a nice build you have there

JNG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Daryll25 View Post
    Coming from a 09 Rocky Mountain element 30, i was wanting something with more travel and comfort, I don't race (just been back on a bike the last 2 years), so any insight you can give would be appreciated... Daryl
    The Dexter has been discontinued so if you can get your hands on one or a frame set jump on it before they are all gone!

My Dexter build shown in the first post has turned out to be the best X-Country bike I've ever owned. It took me a few rides to dial in the suspension to my liking (the first ride was terrible - rebound was way off front and back & not enough sag in the rear). Now I have it on the high BB setting with 110mm Lefty fork and the suspension dialled in to my liking an it handles like a dream!

The trails around my place are all pretty technical. Lots of tight twisty turns, logs, rock gardens, steep drop offs, etc...

It is a shame that Devinci discontinued this bike!

29er
    Apr 2010
    Long term review? I'm thinking of a dexter

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan GSR View Post
    Long term review? I'm thinking of a dexter
    i come from a history of more heavy duty bikes, and this is probably my favorite bike ever; certainly the best all-around rig I've had. the suspension action on this is feels plusher, more supple and reactive than you'd think 110mm could ever be but with a great platform to pedal and maneuver on. this bike makes amazing use of a simple air can shock; very nice ramp up and i do not bottom it out very often

I feel like this is the peak in aluminum engineering. when a rock hits my downtube it sounds like thumping a coke can, but this thing has proved incredibly strong, standing up to a lot of riding way outside its XC designation. it is incredibly strong for such a light aluminum frame; and pretty stiff, too, esp compared to bikes in its class.

the geometry is wicked fun. It has really unique feeling geometry; could be my build but I would describe it as having a bit of a stable yet maneuverable split personality. This thing can seriously hold a line. I ride a med and at 5'10" the fit makes the bike incredibly maneuverable...amazing standover. even with my fork usually around 125 or 130mm, the BB feels pretty low which I think helps all aspects of handling esp cornering. this thing gets around turns faster than any bike i have ever ridden previously, and it is really surprising how confident it is blasting through technical trails at speed. ...i have come to enjoy it so much I only reach for the big bike riding full on DH trails

I cant say enough good things about this bike; let me know if you have any specific questions. I did end up getting 400g rims (in case you read full thread), and that really made the bike come alive. Sidebar: the KOMs do seem to dent easier but they perform so well with the width and weight that its worth it.

I guess I will say my only slight quibble with this bike is that it maybe has a little too much antisquat for my riding style, since I stand and mash up the really steep switchbacks or steep technical climbs. With so much antisquat, you need to consciously get your weight a little further rearward to keep good traction while hammering hard out of saddle.

durability has been excellent and even the paint is holding up great for me despite that i ride in gritty conditions and put away wet/dirty

29er
    Apr 2010
    What other bikes have you owned/ridden ?

JNG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    That is my bike in the first post. I agree with everything "ride the biscuit" has said in his review.

In post #10 I warned not to use an XX1 driver train with this frame set. Even with the derailleur alignment fix I mention in that post it still isn't perfect. It clicks and creaks non-stop with an 11sp cassette and XX1 derailleur. I recently changed it to a 1x10 setup and it is perfectly quiet for the first time since I've owned it.

My Dexter has a new generation Lefty that has been setup by Jake at Project321 with 110mm of travel. I think the ride would be greatly improved with a 130mm fork. The way it is now is pretty good but a slightly slacker geometry would make it perfect.

29er
    Apr 2010
    How wide of a tire will fit the rear? Can a 2.4" ardent fit?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Do you know the weight of the frame?

L size would be OK for a 5-10 guy?

thanks

JNG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by topper77 View Post
    Do you know the weight of the frame?

L size would be OK for a 5-10 guy?

thanks
    I'm 6' and the large fits perfectly. It has lots of stand over height. I think a large would fit you just fine.

Not sure what it weighed out of the box but it is very light. Without too much effort you should be able to build a sub 25lb bike.

29er
    Apr 2010
    I just pulled the trigger on a new frame, hope it lives up to the hype

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast