mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Devinci Bike Info

Hi There

I'm a sucker for Canadian bikes - I have a Cove G-Spot and a RM Blizzard.

I'm in the market for a marathon dual suspension, and I've always wanted to find out more about Devinci bikes. Looking at the 2007 website, the MOONRACER looks like a sexy, light offering for marathon/XC racing.

Can anybody provide a little history/info about the bikes...the website does not provide much more than that they are based in Quebec.

Are they made in Canada or outsourced?
    Are prices for the 2007 line-up available anywhere?
    US distributors look a bit thin - are they too expensive compared to Santa Cruz and other US brands?

Thanks
    Dr Chris.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    - They are made in Canada (except for a couple of cheap models if I'm not mistaken)
    - Prices available in bike shops. They are not terribly expensive in Canada
    - In the past years, they were offering a non-FSR version of their bikes for the US. I don't know if it's still the case or not. If not, then I beleive they are not offered in the US because of the FSR patent owned by Specialized.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Which is strange since they actually licensed Ellsworth's ICT patent not the specialized owned horst-link patent. Kinda tends to suggest though that ICT's patent (licensed or otherwise) wouldn't actually survive a patent suit if Specialized were to bring one, otherwise Devinci would have been adequately protected by licensing it. Also kinda makes one wonder why they haven't brought a suit against ellsworth unless its because being a boutique brand, they don't really see them as competition worthy of a lawsuit (like they did GT).
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Which is strange since they actually licensed Ellsworth's ICT patent not the specialized owned horst-link patent. Kinda tends to suggest though that ICT's patent (licensed or otherwise) wouldn't actually survive a patent suit if Specialized were to bring one, otherwise Devinci would have been adequately protected by licensing it. Also kinda makes one wonder why they haven't brought a suit against ellsworth unless its because being a boutique brand, they don't really see them as competition worthy of a lawsuit (like they did GT).
    There is more to the FSR patent than where the pivot is placed, the location of the virtual pivot (ie the spot around which the wheel revolves) is what makes FSR what it is. Ditto for ellsworth's ICT, I believe their patent includesmany different virtual pivot locations and the different geometries that would result in them.

Knowing that they use the ICT kinda makes me want to take another look at devinci. Wonder why they don't advertise that they use ICT, a technology found on frames that cost more than the devinci's completes should be something to brag about.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    To my eye it looks like they have gone away from the ICT on the Moonracer for 2007. In the brocheur it looks like a Trek Fuel (on piece seat and chainstay single pivot). There is a big weight reduction for 2007, I wonder if a bunch of it comes from dropping the two pivots?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Only the moonracer

Quote Originally Posted by Kris
    To my eye it looks like they have gone away from the ICT on the Moonracer for 2007. In the brocheur it looks like a Trek Fuel (on piece seat and chainstay single pivot). There is a big weight reduction for 2007, I wonder if a bunch of it comes from dropping the two pivots?

Only the moonracer have get away from the FSR, all the others DS have horstlink