Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: DeKerf thread

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

DeKerf thread

Im a big fan of Chris's work and currently own 4 DeKerf's. 3 build up at this point and all in use. The Team SL is in 'daily' use. The Generation get's it fair share of singletrack warping due the overall caracteristics of the bike, which is a tad harscher than my Team SL. The Suspension did get some miles of riding, but full suspension isn't my thing actually for XC, so it won't be ridden that often in the future.

'00 Team SL (9.3 kg in this trim)

Build with RaceFace/XTR (2x9spd setup), GripShift, Avid Arch Suprem's, Easton CT2 seatpost, green King headset and green King rear hub, currently also a FRM alu/carbon front hub, Mavic X517 rims, Sapim spokes and a FRM stem.

'96 Generation

Full XTR M900 at this point. The fork is a very hard Brodie Gatorblade fork, this is a very stiff rocket. Only when Im in my best shape I want to ride this on long rides. Else it will be the weapon of choice on the short, twisty trails.

'95 Suspension

The AMP rear end works... it works a lot, it works not as the current FS designs. This is why I wont ride a lot on this bike. I like pushing big gears. The bigger gear you choose on this bike, the more in-efficient it becomes.

'94 Team/Mountain

This frame is brand new, painted only 1,5 years ago since it had been sitting at DK till that time. I will have it resprayed in Tangerine (one of the two colors available in the day's it was build). Have some intersting stuff to go on this bike; Syncros rigid fork, ti seatpost, Revolution cranks, XTR-900 and a very tricky titanium stem-bar-combo made by DeKerf.

This frame features the 'left-open' wishbone design, which was the original design of Chris. Later after switching to the investment cast Ritchey socket dropouts, he had to cap the wishbone.
    Last edited by DeDwarf; 01-01-2004 at 08:41 AM.
    I'm not retro, I'm way ahead of my time!

mtbr member
    Those bikes are beautiful - any chance you could post some close ups of the seatstays, dropouts, etc. etc?

Oh yeah and how did you get mulitiple photos into your post? Inquiring Balfa owners want to know!

mtbr member
    Wow! That's not a bike frame - that's art!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    here is my favorite close-up of all. It actually is the frame that is sitting right here now. The last frame posted in my first message is for 99% sure the frame in this picture.

newbie boobie.
    Tell me more about that Brodie fork...niiice.
    And those open rear triangle are way cool.
    Man.

FM
    luxatio erecta

Dekerf #DEK522

here's mine. I've had it repainted a few times, hence the variety of colors.

What a great bike, I love it so much.... this one stays for life.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Midwest crank turner

Did DeKerf every make a road bike?

I thought I saw a DeKerf road bike a few years ago and felt that their rear triangle design would make a pretty cool fixie/commuter/CX bike. Anyone seen one?
    "Cycling is like a church - many attend, but few understand." -- Jim Burlant

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O
    I thought I saw a DeKerf road bike a few years ago and felt that their rear triangle design would make a pretty cool fixie/commuter/CX bike. Anyone seen one?
    There is a listing for one on RoadBikeReview.com

Dekerf Cycle Innovations Prodigy Scandium

newbie boobie.
    And it's Scandium to boot.
    Me likey.
    Donde esta? Where can I get one?

They make/made a cyclocross bike too.

http://www.roadbikereview.com/Cycloc...6_1604crx.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by donkekus
    Me likey.
    I'd say contact DeKerf directly.

If anyone is looking for DeKerf HT and softail frames, one of the LBS up here has a few hanging up. I think they are a few years old though as they don't have disk mounts on them. As they don't have disc mounts, I can't see them being a big seller.

Found a listing of what they have here on:

DeKerf's listing of older frames at their dealers

(Here = Vancouver)

Edit: added link

Quote Originally Posted by donkekus
    Me likey.
    No idea what size you need, but....
    Price below will be in Cdn $

DeKerf's listing of Dealers with older frames

"Prodigy
    58cm
    Pearl White
    $1099
    Frame & fork. This is a beutiful road machine, sure to be the envy of your riding buddies."

John Henry The Bicycle Man
    #100-400 Brooksbank Av. N. Vancover, BC
    604-986-5534
    http://www.johnhenrybikes.com/

mtbr member

I have to show my DeKerf too!

2001 DeKerf Implant

Simply awesome freeride hardtail.
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by knollybikes.com
    2001 DeKerf Implant

Simply awesome freeride hardtail.
    Wow!

Do you own that Knolly?

Awesome!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    yeah, thats stunning. I would love to own an implant someday, maybe with a z1 on it.... hmmm... drool....

mtbr member

Yup!

Tha's my other baby!
    Thanks for the compliments!

Here's another pic showing the head tube and gusset welding.

The Implant is now running Louise FR brakes and I'm hoping to put a new Magura Thor fork on it. The mid-ego is good, but it's internals are now a bit dated (it's a couple of years old) and while the inverted fork is super rigid at speed, it's a bit twisty on the lower speed technical trails around here.

The only downside to the Implant is the limited rear tire clearance - otherwise, it's a fantastic rig that should last many, many years!
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

ali'i hua
    thanks for showing all the art that is dekerf.

i still want an elysium.

Some DeKerf pics found on the net with Google.

There are 10 pics on these two pages:
    http://www.teamcow.ca/bikeguide/dekerf/
    http://www.teamcow.ca/bikeguide/dekerf/index2.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by knollybikes.com
    Tha's my other baby!
    Thanks for the compliments!

Here's another pic showing the head tube and gusset welding.

The Implant is now running Louise FR brakes and I'm hoping to put a new Magura Thor fork on it. The mid-ego is good, but it's internals are now a bit dated (it's a couple of years old) and while the inverted fork is super rigid at speed, it's a bit twisty on the lower speed technical trails around here.

The only downside to the Implant is the limited rear tire clearance - otherwise, it's a fantastic rig that should last many, many years!
    Are Magura forks easy to obtain in Canada? How do they compare to the big three (Manitou, Marzocchi, Fox)?

What sort of full suspension rig does DeKerf make these days? Do they make a FS rig that is North Shore ready so to speak?

mtbr member
    Magura eventually bought out Rond a year or so ago (they were in a partnership earlier I believe, but I could be wrong). Rond was a fairly big player in Europe (the 1996 olympics were won on a Rond fork I think), but had very little exposure in N. America. I know that about a year ago, Magura brought their fork production from the netherlands (where Rond was located) over to Germany, which is where Magura forks are made (again, I'm not 100% positive on the details here...). So, I think that they are now just getting ready to have a "normal" year as far as selling their forks is concerned. Oh ya - did I mention that the details might be totally wrong? These comments are just off the top of my head :)

The Mid-ego fork that is on the Implant is a 140mm travel reduced version of their Big-ego fork (185mm) - I think it is discontinued. The quality of manufacturing is superb - but as I said before, the internals are now about 3 years old, which puts mine behind more sophisticated forks offered by Manitou and Marzocchi (my personal opinion is that Rockshock is behind these two). I'm sure that Magura's newer fork valving has kept pace with current technology, as they offer a new platform damping rear coil shock and were the first to offer a linear spring rate rear air shock. I'm not sure if their forks currently offer SPV yet (hard to tell from the German site). I'd like to get a Thor to try on the Implant (their version of the Z-150) though, as it looks pretty trick.

As far as DeKerf, I'm not sure what they're up to. You really don't see too many in stores anymore, which is a shame, because they are simply beautiful bikes - I think that they do a lot of painting, but I'm not sure how many frames they are building these days. Their website seems to have all there models on it though (www.dekerf.com). They do make an aluminum FS bike aparently, and they used to make a steel DH bike (actually shown in the links a couple of posts up), but that's a pretty old design. So, I guess, no, the only frame that they make that is suited to serious NS style riding would be the Implant.
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    A year back Chris told me he was working on a more Freeride-styled FS design. A few weeks ago Chris told me he had skipped the idea for the long term, since he was terribly busy. As far as I can tell right now, Chris is back to working with 2 employees and himself. Chris had a periode in time where he'd only do the custom frames and the proto's. He was working more on tooling and stuff, than the frames. Two welders @DeKerf did the framebuilding in that time. That's about the years the Generation model was made I believe.

Nowadays Chris is fully invested with building frames himself again and that leeds me to think he kinda shrink in size of employers. Toxic Harold, former Brodie-painter, is one of his employees. His own way of work can clearly be seen on the custom paintjobs on the website nowadays.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Here's my work in progress. I actually bought the frame for my son (he's 12/tall/growing like a weed), with the intention of myself being able to ride it. It looks a bit goofy with the short stem, but that can be easily rectified when I ride it.
    I've drooled over DeKerf's for years, and when I found this frame in the basement of the shop I used to go to before I moved i couldn't control myself.
    I emailed Chris for some info on the rear shock maintenance, and about two weeks later he replied that he could mail the info to me because his computer's were pretty outdated. I still haven't recieved anything (it was about 3 months ago), but I'm not worried about it seeing how it'd only be about a 30min. drive for me to stop in at his shop. I think his time is better spent building these gorgeous frames than stuffing envelopes.

Enough for now, I've got to go out to the garage and stare....

Cheers,

Mike E.
    Last edited by Mike E.; 01-09-2004 at 04:26 PM. Reason: forgot pic

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike E.
    Here's my work in progress. I actually bought the frame for my son (he's 12/tall/growing like a weed), with the intention of myself being able to ride it. It looks a bit goofy with the short stem, but that can be easily rectified when I ride it.
    I've drooled over DeKerf's for years, and when I found this frame in the basement of the shop I used to go to before I moved i couldn't control myself.
    I emailed Chris for some info on the rear shock maintenance, and about two weeks later he replied that he could mail the info to me because his computer's were pretty outdated. I still haven't recieved anything (it was about 3 months ago), but I'm not worried about it seeing how it'd only be about a 30min. drive for me to stop in at his shop. I think his time is better spent building these gorgeous frames than stuffing envelopes.

Enough for now, I've got to go out to the garage and stare....

Cheers,

Mike E.
    Beauteous! Take some close up shots if you can sometime Mike!

Maybe I should move to Canada - I'm just a big fan of Canadian bikes!

newbie boobie.
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    No idea what size you need, but....
    Price below will be in Cdn $

DeKerf's listing of Dealers with older frames

"Prodigy
    58cm
    Pearl White
    $1099
    Frame & fork. This is a beutiful road machine, sure to be the envy of your riding buddies."

John Henry The Bicycle Man
    #100-400 Brooksbank Av. N. Vancover, BC
    604-986-5534
    http://www.johnhenrybikes.com/

I wonder, you think there might be any chance of seeing a picture of that frame./fork?

Also, the shop one down the list with the Burgundy Team SL... man I would like to see that...

Also, anyone know the weight of the Prodigy and the Team SL?!

Gracias.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I wonder, you think there might be any chance of seeing a picture of that frame./fork?

Also, the shop one down the list with the Burgundy Team SL... man I would like to see that...

Also, anyone know the weight of the Prodigy and the Team SL?!

Gracias

Looking through my '98 DeKerf catalogue, they have the weight of a Team SL at 1685grams. It's the full 853 frame (same as '00).
    A Generation frame weighs in at 1875grams.

In '98, the Prodigy was also Reynolds 853 tubing, so I can't help on the weight of that one - I bet the Scandium one would be pretty feathery.

If you're interested, the shop with the Team SL can be found at:
    www.rockycycle.com
    I was in that shop a few months ago, and they still had them hanging on the wall.

Hope this helps.

Mike E.
    Oh yeah, the Burgundy colour is awesome.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast