Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: DeKerf thread

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hi...the seatpost diameter on DeKerf is 27.2mm or at least that's what it is on my 97 Team WCS. I'm pretty sure that Chris stuck with this diamter for all his later frames.

Here's the bike:

It's nice to see so any fans of DeKerfs. I've been riding mine since Fall of 97, and I'm continually amazed at how this bike thrives on being pushed to the limits. It lives on short technical climbs and descents, and always pushes you to 'take the harder line'. Gets lots of attention on the trail too...

The only thing that sucks (literally) about the bike is chainsuck...the plate never worked well for me (got jammed more than a few times so I removed it), but with a little caution while dropping into the granny it's otherwise a perfect singletrack bike.

Mine is a Team WCS...the last year they were made, with the Ritchey tubing and see through stays, and completely different dropouts from the later Reynolds 853 models (note the rack attachments).

This year I'm switching to a FS rig (Rocky ETSX70)...and I'm a little sad about not using the DeKerf as my main ride. I am going to keep it forever though. That frame exemplifies 'craftsmanship' to me.

Cheers,

Kris

PS: I saw a 96 suspension that had 'toonies' in the end caps for the periced seat tube. Nice touch!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    My frame, DEK522, is the same vintage, also ritchey tubing... it had the polished gusset too but I lost that last re-paint.

For a few years now I've been switching back and forth between a FS bike and the dekerf. I love to try new things, like bigger drops or stunts, on my dually and then come back and hit it with my dekerf. I've found the dekerf can do everything the bigger bike does, and cleaning it on the dekerf is really confidence inspiring. ANd, the dekerf has outlasted a few heavier FS frames.

Someday I would really love to own an implant.... who knows!

Oh yeah, on the chainsuck thing: Mine works great. Make sure you have the correct plate. If you have the plate for 24/34/46, and you're running 22/32/44, that might be the problem....

Quote Originally Posted by drfrankencopter
    Hi...the seatpost diameter on DeKerf is 27.2mm or at least that's what it is on my 97 Team WCS. I'm pretty sure that Chris stuck with this diamter for all his later frames.The only thing that sucks (literally) about the bike is chainsuck...the plate never worked well for me (got jammed more than a few times so I removed it), but with a little caution while dropping into the granny it's otherwise a perfect singletrack bike.
    Mine is a Team WCS...the last year they were made, with the Ritchey tubing and see through stays, and completely different dropouts from the later Reynolds 853 models (note the rack attachments). This year I'm switching to a FS rig (Rocky ETSX70)...and I'm a little sad about not using the DeKerf as my main ride. I am going to keep it forever though. That frame exemplifies 'craftsmanship' to me.

Cheers,

Kris

PS: I saw a 96 suspension that had 'toonies' in the end caps for the periced seat tube. Nice touch!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. Did Dekerf ever.....

use a 1" headtube on any of his mtb's?

Thanks.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Email him and ask. He has been great about answer my emails and I don't even own one of his frames yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Dekerf Team FS

Howdy.. just checking in on the Dekerf Thread.. heres a really bad picture of my baby.. a 2001 Dekerf Team FS.. there is only a handful of them made..

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/we...s/P6030028.jpg

Holy Chromoly!!
    Quote Originally Posted by smctigue1@mac.com
    use a 1" headtube on any of his mtb's?

Thanks.
    All his mtb frames were equipped with 1 1/8" headsets.. or it should be a one-off.....
    No, I am not retro.... I am way ahead of my time...

"...though a lot of marijuana was smoked in the early days of mountain bike development, not all of the riders were potsmoking hippies... " Frank J. Berto

Who's that f#$king Doug Lexington?!

Holy Chromoly!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Weasel
    Howdy.. just checking in on the Dekerf Thread.. heres a really bad picture of my baby.. a 2001 Dekerf Team FS.. there is only a handful of them made..

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/we...s/P6030028.jpg

Hey DirtWease!!! High five old buddy...!

"...though a lot of marijuana was smoked in the early days of mountain bike development, not all of the riders were potsmoking hippies... " Frank J. Berto

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Whats goin on Jeroen

turn on MSN sometime... if you still use your old hotmail address.. damn.. i havnt talked to you in a few years im guessing...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Help with identification!!

I just purchased what I thought was a Team SL through ebay. Serial number DEK2223. Ritchey dropouts and a big Tom Ritchey logo stamped on the bottom of the BB shell. Also has the brazed seatpost cluster. Any ideas?? Thanks!

Holy Chromoly!!
    Quote Originally Posted by smctigue1@mac.com
    I just purchased what I thought was a Team SL through ebay. Serial number DEK2223. Ritchey dropouts and a big Tom Ritchey logo stamped on the bottom of the BB shell. Also has the brazed seatpost cluster. Any ideas?? Thanks!
    A DeKerf has a modell name on its top tube...

Next to that; both the Team (SL) and Generation had/have a Ritchey BB shell and dropouts.

The brazed seatcluster is the distinctive part that makes it a Team (SL). Seeing the framenumber I'm sure it's a Team SL from '00. Mine is #DEK 2240 and was made in December '00 as one of the (dare I say even thť) last SL's to be made, before it turned into the Team853.

Enjoy your new purchace

mtbr member
    Does anyone here remember the limited edition Dekerf steel hardtail with the fancy bits? I think it was called the TeamLTD or something like that. Any info or pics would be cool - post em if you got em.

Holy Chromoly!!
    Quote Originally Posted by islander
    Does anyone here remember the limited edition Dekerf steel hardtail with the fancy bits? I think it was called the TeamLTD or something like that. Any info or pics would be cool - post em if you got em.
    I know that the Team Limited had goldleaf on its dropouts and gusset. I know that at least one made it to Europe, the Netherlands for sure. It was owned by the former dutch DK distributor, who I know quite well. Still haven't seen pictures of the rig, I will see if I can dig up some via him.... but chances are little.

Chris still made/makes a LTD version to this day; a UK Limited edition. Fully made out of Reynolds 725, disc specific and equipped with extra bosses for a fender under the downtube.

This is all I can dig up on pictures of the UK LTD:

There's a 19,5" version (pictured above) for sale via the UK dealer www.cyclesdauphin.co.uk.

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Here are a few more pics for you. I stopped by my buddyís shop to pick up the last of the upgrades to my DK (for now) and took a couple of shots of some ST frames that have been just sitting there in the back corner of his shop for years.

The first is the Team ST in Kermit green.

The second is an AWESOME custom pearl-white job. This one was ordered and custom painted by Dekerf for someone in town here and they backed out at the last second. Too bad. Now this gorgeous frame just collects dust as itís never been sold. Total shame. It screams to be ridden.

The third frame is my buddy Johnís (shop owner) Elysium that he just had shipped back to him from Chris. John rode it last season then sent it back to have a disk tab welded on. The boys at DK did a beautiful job. The welds are the typically perfect ones you find on ti frames. They then rebrushed it and put brand new decals on after the work was done. It looks completely new. God is this thing nice (and light). Ti is good lookin' stuff, man. Itíll be built up very shortly (again) I can assure you ;-)

The next time John and I ride together Iíll be sure to take some better picks of the Elysium for those interested. I didnít have much time today to take good shots of anything.

Anyway,
    Later.
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

Holy Chromoly!!
    those are some very nice DK's indeed... dang...

Some good detailed pictures of the Elysium's details are very welcome. Like close ups of the welds and the wishbone. Could you take a picture seen from the seatstays towards the wishbone, to see how the tubes interloc...??

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Does anyone know where I can find a ...

relatively recent 21" Dekerf hardtail frame. I am hoping I can find one for a decent price.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Keep an eye on Ebay...

just found a 2000 Team SL for $325. Good Luck.

Holy Chromoly!!

Fresh winds blowing in Vancouver!!

Been out on a ride with the former DK Distributor for this region of Europe (The Netherlands etc.). This guy is out of the bizz for some years, but has manged to sell 22 DK's here in this region in the periode '95-'98. Riding Brodie's and had two DK's too...

Now it was time to get a new DK. Something very special..something unique, wŪth rigid fork. Chris could meet his demands and the following is the outcome!

Chris made a Team 853, with fillet brazed finish. The rigid fork in this bike, is a riding prototype. The signature pierced tubes that are a trademark to his frames, where original planed to be a fork crown, in the periode Chris worked for Rocky Mtn. The idea never turned out and Chris shelved the idea, using it later on the frames he build when he ventured on his own.

Now Chris has regrapped the idea and made this stunning specimen. The fork is made out of straight gauge (non butted) CrMo and is partly TIG welded/solderd. The forklegs are left open, yet the under side is closed. Only two tiny holes prevent water and smuck building up inside.

Have seen the bike up close today, and it truly is a sweet thing. Pictures take out details, but the paint has a very fine metallic particle and is very deep, gorgeous! The honor is all mine to show to you the first pictures available of this fork; sit back and enjoy! Afterwards; go out for a ride... bikes like these make you begging for trails!!!

Super smooth fillet brazed :love:

Jeroen

mtbr member
    i just fell in love
    so sweet

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Just thought Iíd update my Dekerf photo. Iíve thrown on all the bits and pieces I purchased over the winter and my ride functions even better than before! Itís great. I thought XTR stuff was great but if any of you twist-shift fanatics out there are wondering about X.0 stuff, I say go for it. Wow! Is it ever amazing shifting.

Anyway, hereís my ride now with the upgrades (new Race Face rings, XTR front der., X.0 shifters/rear der., XTR cassette, Thompson Elite stem/seat post) I put on. I also (temporarily) put on a set of White Brothers forks that I got for less than I paid for the stem, if you can believe that. They are pretty well NOS as they have seen VERY little use before. Theyíll go nicely on the backup bike after I get my Foxís put on this one later in the season. As you can see from the mud on the bike Iíve been riding it recently and it performs beautifully.

Dekerfs rule.

p.s. Jeroen, that blue ride is AWESOME dude.

Hereís my upgraded ST

dfo
    mtbr member

Wow, these are super bikes!!!! Here's my new ride...

Hi all,

All these beautiful pictures just emphasize the fact that each Dekerf is unique... Each and everyone is a pure piece of art!!!

I have been wanting to get one for many years, and up until very recently, could not convince myself that the cost was worth it... I finaly broke the bank this winter and ordered a Team 853 frame, with disc only setup, in Bird Bird Yellow!!! It took all winter to gather the various parts, then build it. It finaly it the muddy and rocky single track trails this past weekend, and WOW! The ride is a revelation!!!! Plus it just looks stunning!!!

Here are a few pictures taken in my appartment the day I finished building it (Thanks for the help Charlie) - It did not have the pedals then - put on some Egg Beater SS...

Cheers!

Daniel
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It is not the fall that kills you. Its the sudden stop at the end. - D.Adams.

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Hey! Very nice indeed. Welcome to the family!

Enjoy that ride; it looks sweet.

Holy Chromoly!!
    Only 20 were made of that design. If it had 700c wheels, I would have dug into my wallet to get one.

Holy Chromoly!!
    Jens has created a special DeKerf Photogallery on the german website www.mtb-news.de

Here a link; http://www.mtb-news.de/fotos/showgal...3982&password=

Please feel free to contact Jens or me to get your photo's posted in that gallery too! Please send them, share your passion

Jeroen; cruelcycles@hotmail.com
    Jens; Peter.Home@t-online.de

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Wow, that is a lot of DeKerf photos! I wonder if Chris keeps an eye on this thread?

I emailed him a link to it after I stopped in at his shop a couple of months ago.

Holy Chromoly!!
    Apparrently the links in my post above fail to work. I've been moving those pictures around in that gallery. Here are the new url's so the pic's should be visible again.

Super smooth fillet brazed :love:

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast