Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: DeKerf thread

newbie boobie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike E.
    I wonder, you think there might be any chance of seeing a picture of that frame./fork?

Also, the shop one down the list with the Burgundy Team SL... man I would like to see that...

Also, anyone know the weight of the Prodigy and the Team SL?!

Gracias

Looking through my '98 DeKerf catalogue, they have the weight of a Team SL at 1685grams. It's the full 853 frame (same as '00).
    A Generation frame weighs in at 1875grams.

In '98, the Prodigy was also Reynolds 853 tubing, so I can't help on the weight of that one - I bet the Scandium one would be pretty feathery.

If you're interested, the shop with the Team SL can be found at:
    www.rockycycle.com
    I was in that shop a few months ago, and they still had them hanging on the wall.

Hope this helps.

Mike E.
    Oh yeah, the Burgundy colour is awesome.

Thanks a bunch Mike E. I wonder though, do you have any contact info for RockyCycle? An Email addy?
    Cuz their website is not working right now. Blank in Safari and nothing but html in IE. Gracias.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Try this email addy: rok@rockycycle.com
    Here's a phone number too: (604) 591-5333

They're web-site is a bit on the sketchy side right now, I agree.

Mike E.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by donkekus
    I wonder, you think there might be any chance of seeing a picture of that frame./fork?
    Also, the shop one down the list with the Burgundy Team SL... man I would like to see that...
    Gracias.
    For the Prodigy road bike, you'll have to contact the store directly.

Here is a photo of the Burgundy Team SL though.

newbie boobie.
    Whoa! That thing is niiice!
    Wonder what that'll set me back.
    Wonder if they'll sell without that fork. Full rigid baby.

Thanks for all the help!

Price listed in Cdn $.

http://www.rockycycle.com/frame.htm

"Model DeKerf Team SL
    Material 853 Reynolds, Cr-Mo
    Size 16"
    Color Red
    Seat Post 27.2mm
    Headset 1" 1/8
    Bottom Bracket 68/113
    Suspension RockShox Judy XC
    Feature Hand Built, King of cross country!, comes with fork! (WOW)
    Reg. $ 1,799 Sale. $ 1,499 "

Ska
    Steel is real.
    That last link is of a good riding buddy of mine's (mac) Team SL. He's also an MTBR regular. I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in on this thread yet!

Anyway. First off, Iíd like to say that this must be the coolest thread ever; completely dedicated to Dekerf? Awesome. What better way to have, owners fans and, I guess, if there are any, critics, come together and communicate! Well, being an owner/rider of a Dekerf also, I obviously had to get in on this thread so let me be the first to post photos of a Team ST

Hereís my Dekerf Team ST (the full 853 model Ė no Ti chainstays)

I have since purchased new Sram X.O stuff to replace the old XTR bits, new Race Face rings, new XTR front Der and a new XTR cassette which Iíll be putting on after winter (donít want snow touching the new stuff yet). New forks (probably Fox RLT 80ís) will also be added in March. Iíve been riding this bike a while now and will be riding it a looooong time from now as well since I absolutely love this thing.

Hereís is also an old pic from roughly around the time when I first bought the bike and put it together. Itís a good shot of the seat stay for you.

They are such works of art. The great thing is, they ride as nice as they look! Just a little shot of me at Mike Tís Micro Gathering a while back in October 2002. It was cold but as always a great ride.

Ska!

p.s. If anyone has ANY Magura related questions, contact Mike T. He's the man when it comes to that stuff.

Also for DeDwarf: we communicated before (a long time ago via e-mail) and those two STís my buddy had in his shop are still there hanging from the ceiling if you want one for your collection. Theyíre even cheaper now. As mentioned before there is a custom pearl white one (AWESOME colour) and one in Dekerfís Kermit green. I keep forgetting to snap a picture of the Dekerf Team Ti heís riding but Iíll get that for you too eventually. Itís so sweet. If you want a price for one of the frames, let me know.
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

Holy Chromoly!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ska!
    Anyway. First off, I’d like to say that this must be the coolest thread ever; completely dedicated to Dekerf? Awesome. What better way to have, owners fans and, I guess, if there are any, critics, come together and communicate! Well, being an owner/rider of a Dekerf also, I obviously had to get in on this thread so let me be the first to post photos of a Team ST
    I posted several times on the DK website's guestbook for us to gather on a forum or a own site or so. This is a good alternative for DK riders across the globe!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ska!
    Also for DeDwarf: we communicated before (a long time ago via e-mail) and those two ST’s my buddy had in his shop are still there hanging from the ceiling if you want one for your collection. They’re even cheaper now. As mentioned before there is a custom pearl white one (AWESOME colour) and one in Dekerf’s Kermit green. I keep forgetting to snap a picture of the Dekerf Team Ti he’s riding but I’ll get that for you too eventually. It’s so sweet. If you want a price for one of the frames, let me know.
    DeDwarf was my previous nickname.. changed it to my reall name

The ST's are great, and ofcourse I would want to have one. But the fact is.. Im 22, just working for 2yrs, already have a fairly expanded stable of bikes... and I can not own all DK's around. Plus I need my cash too for a house/car/living etc. So I should keep it down to these '4 DeKerfs' right now

Anyway, please continue posting in this topic. This should be one of the finest collection of Canadian made rigs from Chris...

No, I am not retro.... I am way ahead of my time...

"...though a lot of marijuana was smoked in the early days of mountain bike development, not all of the riders were potsmoking hippies... " Frank J. Berto

Who's that f#$king Doug Lexington?!

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen
    The ST's are great, and ofcourse I would want to have one. But the fact is.. Im 22, just working for 2yrs, already have a fairly expanded stable of bikes... and I can not own all DK's around. Plus I need my cash too for a house/car/living etc. So I should keep it down to these '4 DeKerfs' right now
    I hear you on the money thing dude. Iím in the same boat only Iíve got 8 years on you and Iím still in school! If you ever change your mind about the rides, theyíll be there waiting.

Iíll do my best to get a photo of his Ti DK. I think itíd be a sweet addition to the collection that is slowly building here on the site.

Later,
    Ska!
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

mac
    high school Prom King

a couple of pics...

of a Team SL (mine) and a Team ST (Ska!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

mac
    high school Prom King

try...

again...

mac
    high school Prom King

Cool-blue Rhythm Pretty nice...

lacing pattern if I do say so myself

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    First timer here, an internet buddy told me to check out the vintage stuff and I ended up here also.

21 inch 1998 Dekerf Team SL
    1997 Marzochi BAM 2
    Syncros Crank, stem and BB
    Thomson Seat Post
    CK headset
    Old mavic MTB front hub, XT rear
    Ringle Twisters
    XT/XTR bits and pieces

Since people mentioned gatorblades, my other bike is a 1988 Brodie Climbmax, with a gatorblade fork, grafton brakes, Cook Bros Ti BB, and other old parts. I'll post an image when I get a chance.

Is that Bill rated?

The ugly duckling

Well it turns out it was a frog anyways.

This is my convert singlespeed, freeride (sort of) Implant.

Unfortunately I don't have a photo of my far more breathtaking Team SL in Burgundy. Maybe I will rectify that so I can post it as well.
    Well, it was a good try.

Stopped by their shop on Friday and talked to Chris. Nice guy! I don't think I'd ever met him before.

Holy Chromoly!!
    CraigH... Were there any employees there too...???

Yummy....

(pictured with a temporary frontwheel, have to repair the original (bearings)

"...though a lot of marijuana was smoked in the early days of mountain bike development, not all of the riders were potsmoking hippies... " Frank J. Berto

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Wheelbase??

Quote Originally Posted by donk
    First timer here, an internet buddy told me to check out the vintage stuff and I ended up here also.

21 inch 1998 Dekerf Team SL
    1997 Marzochi BAM 2
    Syncros Crank, stem and BB
    Thomson Seat Post
    CK headset
    Old mavic MTB front hub, XT rear
    Ringle Twisters
    XT/XTR bits and pieces

Since people mentioned gatorblades, my other bike is a 1988 Brodie Climbmax, with a gatorblade fork, grafton brakes, Cook Bros Ti BB, and other old parts. I'll post an image when I get a chance.

What is the wheelbase on the 21" SL measure? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen
    CraigH... Were there any employees there too...???
    Another guy wearing a DeKerf Carhart (sp?) jacket walked into the shop while I was dealing with Chris. I had the impression that he worked there too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smctigue1@mac.com
    What is the wheelbase on the 21" SL measure? Thanks

Sorry, I can't get the measurement to you for a few weeks. The bike is boxed at my old house, waiting to be shipped to me with the rest of my possessions. Joys of moving.

As soon as I get it back I'll measure it for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How can you tell a Generation from a Team SL?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smctigue1@mac.com
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    The easiest way to tell the two apart is that theTeam SL's have a fillet brazed seat tube/top tube junction/lug, while generations are tig'd.

Other things to look for:

SL's are 853 and Generations are 525(pretty sure)

The colour options where different too. Fewer choices for the generation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

So, no lug on the Generation?

The easiest way to tell the two apart is that theTeam SL's have a fillet brazed seat tube/top tube junction/lug, while generations are tig'd.

Thanks.

Holy Chromoly!!

The first generation Generation's (...) were made from Ritchey Logic and Tange Prestige tubing (1996). In 1997 they were made from Reynolds 725. In 1999 they switched to a similiar tubeset as the airhardening 853 on the SL, the Reynolds 631 (budgetwiser version of the 853).

I have a 1996 Generation, made from Tange/Ritchey tubing. My SL is made from 853, my '95 Full Suspension also from Tange/Ritchey and my '94 Mountain/Team from a Tange/Ritchey mixture as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

New question here. Sizing on a Genration (2000)

Hi there

I am into bying my first DeKerf. I got this very good offer on a 16" Generation. But I am 178cm high, so it seems a bit too small. I have ridden a 17,5" team SL with a short 9cm stem some years ago. What about running a 11cm stem on the 16" Generation. Do you think this might make enough room in the cockpit?

Or shall I pronounce the question otherwise: anybody who knows what the top tube difference between a 16" and 17,5"?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Seatpost size for a Team SL ??

Have a frame on the way and need a post for it. Any help would be appreciated.

mtbr member

... and if we just ... 16" and 17.5" tt generation

Hi, I'm a proud owner of a 2000 dekerf generation..the tt for 16" is 21.5" and 17.5" is 22.25. I'm 5'5, almost 5'6" w/ a 30" inseam and the 16" is perfect. May be a tad small for you. I believe the following year, the 16" tt went up to 22"ish...maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Good luck, it's a beautiful bike a true keeper. -

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast