Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: DeKerf thread

Person
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsoft
    Hello!
    Got an 2000 Team ST at least Now i wonder if the is an manual for the rear shock...

Robert
    There is no manual for the shock that I know of, but it is really simple inside it.

I posted some pictures of the internals in this thread....Dekerf softail help

Chris Dekerf gave me some help as well with getting it apart and back together.

MTK
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Well,

I dont think anyone cares,but I do. I spoke with Chris yesterday. My bike is fixed.
    New Rear Stay,New Style Hydro Guides,although I like the old ones,much cleaner
    IMHO,but not as user friendly. I also had that slight dent fixed and she will have
    a 500 Dollar Paint Job. What ya gona do? I wanted it. I hope it goes
    well with my Fork,I dont have the patience to send the fork for the Lowers to match.
    He fixed Her for Free,minus the guides. The Dent he threw in for free as well. JustJ
    was right,it took 1 mounth. Total cost for me was 760 Dollars. 500 for paint,40 Dollars
    to ship back to me,and 220 to ship to Chris. He flipped out when I told him I paid
    that much too ship to him. I told him it's worth my piece of mind. I also told him I
    dont like UPS,however,that's how she's coming home to me. I am so happy I could
    spit. GoodBye Pearl White,thanks for the memories.

MTK{forgot to ask Chris if Toxic Harlod is going to paint her?}

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    I had to see what your bike looked like in white.

MTK
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Craig,

I'm so glad you posted. First,unless I am way off the chart,post's are
    missing from this thread? Recent ones regarding my questions to
    {I forgot his handle} about his Ti Stem he was trying to fit on his current
    rig? They are gone? Also,where should one go to post on this thread? Or
    does it not matter? DerKerf Thread or the Database? One in the Same?
    Do you see ANY RedX's on these current DerKerf Photo's? I do. I know
    you told me about the Old DataBase switch,I just want a update.Sorry to
    blast you,it's justbeen buggin me.

Thanks for that Shot,it felt good. When I saw it,the first thing I thought was
    how my Son has that Rare Hurricane SeatPost. His Arrow was Stolen from
    his High School Bike Rack. He Locked it up WRONG. . I went
    there to his School and checked it out and made a report. Left work and all.
    The thief Stole the Wrong Bike. I put the word out to All shops and got a call.
    I then went another route and got the Bike back. That is to say,everything but
    the SeatPost. I LENT him That SeatPost to build the Bike back up. I just got it
    back last mounth. I finally bought him a Thompson as I must have that Hurricane.
    Nothing wrong with a Thompson mind you. He DID NOT WANT TO GIVE
    IT UP. Sorry,it's mine I told him. She's back.

MTK

The Ti stem post are still there:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...89578#poststop

Are you using Hybrid view?

The broken pic links are due to the photo server being replaced a couple of years ago. I need to go through this thread (as I've been doing with other threads) and deleted posts with broken photo links.

Post in this thread where ever you like or makes the most sense.

Cleaned up thread by deleting some posts with broken photo links. If there was useful information and a broken pic link I left the post.

MTK
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Craig,

I have no idea what Hybrid View is? I am using Yahoo as my Broswer.
    Thanks for the reply. The other day I clicked on the thread. You were
    the last post. When you click on the thead,it went to JustJ's post. First
    you click the thread,then you click what page you want. I would think it
    would go to your post as it was last,assuming you click on the Last page.
    However,you or that person might not have posted on the last page. These
    thing's I'm learnin I guess. Thanks for the Ti report,again,I guess it's my lame
    ass computer skills.

I spent 500 Bones at my local Bike shop Satudary. Bought all kinds of stuff.
    It all started with a Stem and Bar for the Implant. I thought some fresh Nector
    was in order when she comes home. Thompson 70 stem,with a Easton EA70 Bar,Mid
    Rise. I have some new Tires I will probally put on as well. Although I'll have to check
    on that to be sure I like the combo. Question: The new Thompson stem has the Neck
    Cut Away to save weight where it clamps to the Steeror Tube. It looks Clean,but
    I am a little worried about the strength. Not enough too not run it of course,it is
    a Thompson. Any thoughts or reports of them Breaking? It is a 31.8 Combo.
    Ummmm,Fresh Nector.

MTK{Waiting to hear from Chirs on Monday}

On this page:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/profile.php?do=editoptions

Change the "Thread DisplayMode" to Hybrid, then save changes.

The top of the DeKerf thread is here:
    DeKerf thread

~~~~~~

I never had problems with any Thompson stuff (other than when I didn't lube some bolts as per instructions, my mistake). Search around the boards, but I'm betting that you won't find any issues with the new stem design.

MTK
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Just J,

No picture? What gives? You can not tease us like that. I wont stand for it.
    I think people come and go on this thread,or they just dont like to reply? There are
    a couple of Handles on this thread that I would love to hear back from. I can do no more
    than I have? Moving on,I got a phone call today from Chris. Yes Boss,How's my Girl?
    Oh she's Fine,gave her a little extra time in the Oven and it looks Beautiful. I think you
    going to Love this Paint Job he said. I bought some new parts for her I said. At this
    point I am late for my Lunch which has been called and I'm frothing at the mouth for
    my Bike,not Lunch. Just before my phone rang,I was starving. Go Figure? I was so
    pumped up I barley put my Burger away. All I could think about was putting my Bike
    back together. I told him to pack the **** out of her,he laughed,but I was serious. I
    even had it shipped to my Mothers house. The stress of not being home when it gets
    here was to much for me bear. Mom's is home with Chief and it will be safe. Sitting on
    My porch while I'm at work is not going to happen. Toxic Harlod has been long gone
    by the way,I asked. My Dad is coming to town,and I am going to North Star with the
    Pig. So I dont know when I will post some shots? I also have another Bike Project going
    but it does not pertain to this thread,so I will not go into it. I am busy,I also slit the palm
    of my thumb on glass today,errrr. Game tonight,and tommorow. I have to say,having not
    seen it mind you,that I am very pleased with Chris and how I have been handled. I would
    expect nothing else. That's why I bought from him in the first place. Peace.

MTK{Craig,I'm going to send you a pm}

Not Bad

Mtk

Huh, what've I done now?

He is referring to your pic and post of your bike in a frosty field. The pic link is broken.

Not Bad
    Aah right I'm with ya, sorry I don't think I have that pic anymore...

... Nope I'm pretty sure I haven't sorry. I could go and take one in about 3ft of water if you like, we're flooded out in the UK at the moment!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    DeKerf in Action...

I want a new jersey ;-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Gotogetone,gottogetone,gottogetone.....

Looking forward to seeing pictures of that Implant when it is built up.The wife is going to get a shock soon as i just cannot hold back from buying one myself,kind of old school freeride.Steel,burly and Canadian,mmmm........

MTK
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Not built up,

but no more guessing on what color I went with. I put the Fork in there for
    a color match. My Dad is here from KC and I'm leaving for NorthStar. I have
    been using the Super 8 for NightRiding. At 55 Pounds I'm pushin,but havin
    a blast. There is a chip on the HeadTube,broke my Heart it did. Right out
    of the Box! My pack job to Him was the way to go,then I put her in a moving
    blanket. I would have liked to see the same in return, regardless of shipping
    chargers.

MTK(CatSoft,nice to see the Shot.}

Build shots.

New Rear Der,New Rear GoodRidge Line,Tab is Faced Properly,New 180 Shimy Adapter. Those
    Zip Ties are Temp,I have some Nice ones for the Final Fit. Still have not put the Hurricane Post
    on. The Thompson Stem/Post combo is lookin nice though? Have some Tires to choose from as well.
    Goodnight.

MTK
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MTK; 07-04-2007 at 01:18 AM.

MTK
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Hey Guys,

I need some help. It's late and I am just goin to bed. Question on Front Der. on the
    Implant. I am running a Top Pull Top Swing Mega 9 XTR. I dont like it. I Love Shimano,
    but this Der. had slop in it Brand New. I have to run a Top Swing. The Bottom Swing
    will not work. I have a Beautiful Old School XTR Bottom Swing Der. here that I tried to
    no avail. Can you guys suggest a Front Der. for me. Model is what I need. Old School
    would be fine. Not Sram. I noticed all the other Bikes are Old School XTR's or XT for
    the most part on this thread. I am running 8 Speed with a Bash. Any help on this would be Grand. For now,I'll run that Mega 9. Peace.

MTK

1+1
    going for a ride
    Quote Originally Posted by MTK
    I need some help. It's late and I am just goin to bed. Question on Front Der. on the
    Implant. I am running a Top Pull Top Swing Mega 9 XTR. I dont like it. I Love Shimano,
    but this Der. had slop in it Brand New. I have to run a Top Swing. The Bottom Swing
    will not work. I have a Beautiful Old School XTR Bottom Swing Der. here that I tried to
    no avail. Can you guys suggest a Front Der. for me. Model is what I need. Old School
    would be fine. Not Sram. I noticed all the other Bikes are Old School XTR's or XT for
    the most part on this thread. I am running 8 Speed with a Bash. Any help on this would be Grand. For now,I'll run that Mega 9. Peace.

MTK

MTK, first of all, sweet bike, really like the paint job.
    I've been riding my Implant ss'ed for the last 2 years. When I had gears on her, I had a top pull XT fr. der. from 03/04.
    Maybe you can try riding it with a single ring up front till you get your fd in. I love my Implant as an ss more than when I had it geared. Simple, good looking and no rear derailleurs to snap off with my clumsy riding.

Not Bad
    That looks like one "happy" Implant there!

I personally think the Implant suits SS too, I toyed with a 1x9 setup last year but swiftly put it back to 1x1!

MTK
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Thank You

1 + 1. It's Hard to cover that ChainStay,but I must. I also put two clear plastic
    stickers on the Inside of the Rear Stay's right wear the Side Knoobies are. The
    Dirt seems to cut like a razor over time. I dont think I could Hang with a Single
    Speed? It's true that a Single Speed is the most beautiful of all bikes,but I dont
    think I could hang. I am thrasher,a Dropper,I beat myself and that Bike to death.
    I try to make the Bike to suit all my Riding.

Your Der. Do you still have it? Was it Bottom Swing? I want the Old XTR
    Der. Top Pull,Top Swing,or XT. I'll buy it yesterday if its in good shape.
    Or Anyone out there for that matter.

The Der. on there now,if you grab the cage and wiggle a little,it has slop
    in it. It works fine,but it's not the Right Der. First of all it's thinner for the
    9 speed. Now I know I can space it out with a washer. I just would like to
    get a different Der. I cant remember why the Bottom Swing did not work?
    That is what I want to run. The Top swing is so low that the cage is just
    above my Tape.

Am I correct in running the Front Der. Cable on the Bottom stop? I think it's
    correct.

I bought a 180 Rotor and new Adapter for the rear Brake. GoodRidge all
    hooked up,Rear Only. Faced her and Bleed her. The Brakes are perfect.

My Buddie told me that the Camo seat had to go? Dangit,I just bought
    it. I have another new Black WTB for back up,but I did not think the
    Camo looked to bad? Peace.

MTK

1+1
    going for a ride

You're welcome

1 + 1. It's Hard to cover that ChainStay,but I must. I also put two clear plastic
    stickers on the Inside of the Rear Stay's right wear the Side Knoobies are. The
    Dirt seems to cut like a razor over time. I dont think I could Hang with a Single
    Speed? It's true that a Single Speed is the most beautiful of all bikes,but I dont
    think I could hang. I am thrasher,a Dropper,I beat myself and that Bike to death.
    I try to make the Bike to suit all my Riding.

Your Der. Do you still have it? Was it Bottom Swing? I want the Old XTR
    Der. Top Pull,Top Swing,or XT. I'll buy it yesterday if its in good shape.
    Or Anyone out there for that matter.

The Der. on there now,if you grab the cage and wiggle a little,it has slop
    in it. It works fine,but it's not the Right Der. First of all it's thinner for the
    9 speed. Now I know I can space it out with a washer. I just would like to
    get a different Der. I cant remember why the Bottom Swing did not work?
    That is what I want to run. The Top swing is so low that the cage is just
    above my Tape.

Am I correct in running the Front Der. Cable on the Bottom stop? I think it's
    correct.

I bought a 180 Rotor and new Adapter for the rear Brake. GoodRidge all
    hooked up,Rear Only. Faced her and Bleed her. The Brakes are perfect.

My Buddie told me that the Camo seat had to go? Dangit,I just bought
    it. I have another new Black WTB for back up,but I did not think the
    Camo looked to bad? Peace.

MTK
    What size tires are you running? I've got decent clearance on mine, now running 2.35" Maxxis swampthing(great tire for wet, sloppy, slidy conditions).
    I had the same thought as you before I went ss. I thought I wouldn't be able to hack it, but decided to give it a years worth trying. I liked it from the start, no tinkering with gears, adjusting barrels and little screws, it's just go ride, put your bike away, do it again the next day, almost no maintenance. Just wash off the dirt now and then. The Implant as an SS is great for all kinds of riding. True, we all beat our Implants to death and expect it to perform flawlessly again the next day in, day out. I wish I was smoother, just the other day I put a dent on the downtube, it's a real heartbreaker, but no performance issue.
    I still have the fd, but I live halfway across the world. Yes, literally. Else you can have it.
    I'm not 100% sure why a bottom pull will not work, but I think(I could be wrong), but it needed to routed under the bb?
    I cannot remember where my fd was placed, so maybe one of the other Implant riders can help sort you out on that one.
    The brakes look good.
    BTW can you do a closeup shot of the IMPLANT and DEKERF on your bike, is it all wavy to go with the paint job or are my eyes playing tricks on me? That's one sweet pj. I'm thinking to redo my paint, maybe the hi-test one, blue or green the next time I head back to Canada.
    I didn't think the seat looked bad at all , if it's good for you, who cares what anybody says, it's YOUR bike, and anyways, Dekerf bikes look hot with anything on them anyways, it the frame that counts, the rest are just details.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Those Implants are so nice especially the green one.Is the orange bomber too much travel for the other frame as it looks raked out? I hope to buy an Implant myself later this year .

MTK
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Lifecycle,

I feel it Is too much travel for the Implant. I run Over 30% Sag and
    run a 3mm Spacer under the Stem to try and Help with it. I can Lock
    her out on climbs so the wheel does wonder less. Then on the DH and
    Drops it's just pure Sickness and Plush. I am getting used to it. Having
    said that,my Dual Crown 4" Fork is by far my favorite. Like a Jacuzi,ummm,
    Hot and Bubbly!{Macy Gray} It's your call,I love um both,but one must
    have the Frame First.

1 + 1,I'm running a Mishy 2.25. I love it to death. Bought 4 of them. On my
    3rd with this build. It's as wide a 2.35 Intense. I had New WTB Tires for this
    build for bling,then I just said screw it,I'm happy with this combo. I have very
    little clearence with that tire.

Not Bottom Pull on the Front Der., "Bottom Swing". A little confusion there.
    I hope they chime in as well my self.

Single Speed you say. Well,could ya give me a break at this point? I am
    trying to get back to the dirt,going SS would require money and time? I could
    do almost anything in my shed expect change my girl to a SS. Mind you,it's
    not out of the question,and I'll ponder it for sure. I dont know what's worse,my
    camera, or my camera skill's. It's not your eyes,it's me. Last,you can see
    my Dent in the HeadTube,I feel your pain. Here we go,hope this is better.

MTK

1+1
    going for a ride
    MTK, heard about the Michelins, and how good they are. I'll probably try them out next in the winter when things get drier around here, but then again, my Implant will probably take a break in the winter, it's my all-around bike for the wet summer, but for the winter I have another frame I'm building up right now.
    Sorry, didn't mean to try to push anybody down the SS path back there. I first got the fever myself after going on the ss forums here and hearing how they gush about the simplicity, quiet and no-frills of ss. Those ss guys are right. But having said that, I'm in the process of building up my Knolly Delirium T, so back to gears and shifters and such.
    I'm not sure what a bottom swing fd is. The fd is probably the least understood part on the bike for me. I hope you find one that fits your Implant soon and get riding.
    Thanks for the closeups, I knew my eyes were playing tricks on me, if you look at the first couple pics of your bike closely, you'll see it's all 'optical illusioned' by the waves of the paint job. That's really cool.

Lifecycle. The Implants are some of the sweetest ht out there. For durability and toughness, there are very few bikes that can come close to the Implant. For manueverbility(sp?) and handling, I've never been on another bike that can hold a candle to it. If you get one, it'll be with you pretty much forever.
    As for shocks, don't worry about running a longer set on it. The pic above is an old one from 04(125mm Fox Talas). I now have a Fox 36 150mm on it and it doesn't feel too tall at all. I've got a Talas and I never use the adjustable travel anymore for climbing. Speaking of climbing, the Implant climbs as well as it descends. You'll be able to keep up with most 5-6" fs out there once you've been on it for a bit. The only reason I'm going fs real soon is because I ride every single day, almost and I want to be able to ride longer and have a bit more plush, that's all. If I was younger, I wouldn't even consider getting something else to augment my Dekerf. If you can hack it(unlike the wuss that's me), it could be your 'one bike'.
    Now start saving and get yourself one.

MTK
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

No need to say

Sorry. I understand the fever very well. I must say,If I did go SS,I would
    go ECC as I do not like the chain Der. if you will off the rear cog? You
    are adding another peice of Hardware with that. I might as well run gears?
    I dont even know the options on ECC BB's? I have done no homework there.
    I know where to find the Info though. I think it's only Square Taper,If that were
    the case,it would be problem. Spline would work for me,although no-one here
    seems to like it. Then I think Phil Wood BB {square taper} with MiddleBurn
    Cranks. Ummm,Beautiful,however mabye not strong enough for me? The BB
    that is,as MiddleBurn would take care of me. Also,PhilWood does not make
    the ECC? I Love Phil Wood. With my riding style,I have to think about these
    things as my taste is Rich. Moving on,I am bugging on the 29er thing. A 29er
    Squishy? Ummm,sounds nice. The tires and forks are Starting to come
    around to the point where I might drop some coin. For now,we ride. That
    Knolly is Proper,say again,Proper. Big Coin! Good Dirt and Peace.

MTK{has no idea what he wants?}

P.S. I have a short mpeg video of me hitting a rock drop on the
    same frame in Pearl White years back. Will it work here?}

1+1
    going for a ride
    Sorry. I understand the fever very well. I must say,If I did go SS,I would
    go ECC as I do not like the chain Der. if you will off the rear cog? You
    are adding another peice of Hardware with that. I might as well run gears?
    I dont even know the options on ECC BB's? I have done no homework there.
    I know where to find the Info though. I think it's only Square Taper,If that were
    the case,it would be problem. Spline would work for me,although no-one here
    seems to like it. Then I think Phil Wood BB {square taper} with MiddleBurn
    Cranks. Ummm,Beautiful,however mabye not strong enough for me? The BB
    that is,as MiddleBurn would take care of me. Also,PhilWood does not make
    the ECC? I Love Phil Wood. With my riding style,I have to think about these
    things as my taste is Rich. Moving on,I am bugging on the 29er thing. A 29er
    Squishy? Ummm,sounds nice. The tires and forks are Starting to come
    around to the point where I might drop some coin. For now,we ride. That
    Knolly is Proper,say again,Proper. Big Coin! Good Dirt and Peace.

MTK{has no idea what he wants?}

P.S. I have a short mpeg video of me hitting a rock drop on the
    same frame in Pearl White years back. Will it work here?}
    I've been thinking to go EBB as well, but haven't done my homework either. I do not particularly like the tensioner being there, but I don't mind it now. If I was going to build up another ss or upgrade my Implant, it'll be an EBB. Phil Wood makes them? That'll be nice. It'll make my Implant look a lot better and one less worry about ripping something off in tight spots. I'm a small guy, so never considered 29'ers, I'll try one out for sure in the future, who knows, I might have one too! But the only 29'er I'll eve get is a Dekerf, and rigid. It'll be nice for those really rooty trails where you cannot really pedal and a little more rolling momentum would help. But it'll be at least 3 years to 5 before I buy a new bike. I already have the ultimate ht and now I've one of the nicest fs frames on the market, so I have no real reason to sink any more cash into frames.(but I'll find a reason or two, you bet)
    I'm not sure if a direct mpeg would load up here. Maybe Youtube it first and embed it in your thread?d

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast