Person
    Sep 2005

Dekerf softail help

Well, I went for a ride in the rain last night, and now my softtail feels like it is packed with mud. It doesn't really want to move at all.

Has anyone taken the rear 'shock' apart on one of these bikes? It seems very simple, I was just wondering if anyone had tips or warnings before I get myself into trouble.

Also, how much maintenance do these usualy need? This is my first year on the frame, so it is all new to me. Was also considering making a boot for the 'shock' since one ride was enought to make a mess of it. I suppose an old tube will do the trick.

stealy
    The only problem with a tube if water gets under and you leave it then things are gona rust.
    From rainy England

mtbr member
    Call Dekerf and ask them for any tips. I'm sure they will be able to help you out.
    Tel: (604) 241-1143
    Canadian Parts on Canadian Bikes in Canada

Bikes!
    Or email Chris, he'll be glad to help...
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    When I had a Team ST I emailed DeKerf and Chris promptly sent me out some instructions - he said it was easier to mail it than try and send it on his dinosaur of a computer (hopefully things have changed since. HaHa)
    It wasn't a tough job at all if I recall (it was a couple years ago and I no longer have the bike....sigh).
    You'll need a set of snap ring pliers, and that's the only tool I can remember needing. Once apart it's just a case of removing everything, cleaning, re-lubing and putting it back together.
    It made a big difference as far as stiction goes.
    I also used the spare tube "boot" but made sure I checked/cleaned everything on a regular basis.

Hope this helps,

Mike E.

Person
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the help and tips. I emailed Chris and he replied quickly, was very impressed by that. Kinda felt bad bothering him about it since I bought the frame used.

The problem I'm into now is that the 'shock shaft' does not want to come out. I assume this frame has never been maintained in the past, which is not helping me here. Did everything come apart easily for you Mike E?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hmmm...(closing eyes and looking to the left), I'm trying to remember what exactly was inside there. Mine came apart without incident (lucky me I suppose), so I can only suggest spraying it liberally with some sort of lube (WD40) and let it work it's magic for a bit.
    I'm not sure which part was the shock shaft, so if I can wrap my brain around the situation and something comes to me I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Mike E.

Person
    Sep 2005
    I don't know if I am calling parts by the proper name. I don't know if I should even be calling it a rear shock!

Will try to post a pic of the parts later on today. I'm usualy not very good with describing things.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Pics would be good.
    There is a coil spring in there, so you can call it a shock!!

Person
    Sep 2005
    OK, so I suck with pictures, and my camera died soon after taking this one.

The 'shock shaft' is the silver part that the black arrow is pointing at. I have removed the snap-ring (can't be seen in picture) that holds it in place as well as the pinch bolts. It should just slide right out, but will not move.

I have tried loosening the clamp that the blue arrow is pointing at. When I try to pull the shaft out in this situation, the bushing inside the frame just slides with it. The 2 parts seem to be stuck toegther.

Before taking it all apart, I could only get the suspension to move a tiny bit, and it took a lot of force to do that. Will be going to get some WD-40 this morning and try giving it a bath with that.

[IMG][/IMG]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Any luck...

..getting that sucker apart?
    I just can't remember how mine came apart - not much help, I know.

Hopefully it worked out for ya'.

Mike E,

Person
    Sep 2005
    Sent another email to Chris Dekerf, and I had a reply in less than an hour. He really looks after people, can't say enough good things about him.

Anyways, he has seen the shock shaft and bushing get seized together. Easiest solution is to cut it all apart with a hacksaw , then replace it all with new parts (which he has in stock). I am going to give the WD-40 one more try before I get to this point.

Now I have a bit of a dilema. I can order the parts and do the work myself. Or send it back to Dekerf to get them to fix it, and get a new paintjob at the same time.

I'm off to drool over the paint gallery on the Dekerf website.

Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Baulz
    Sent another email to Chris Dekerf, and I had a reply in less than an hour. He really looks after people, can't say enough good things about him.

Anyways, he has seen the shock shaft and bushing get seized together. Easiest solution is to cut it all apart with a hacksaw , then replace it all with new parts (which he has in stock). I am going to give the WD-40 one more try before I get to this point.

Now I have a bit of a dilema. I can order the parts and do the work myself. Or send it back to Dekerf to get them to fix it, and get a new paintjob at the same time.

I'm off to drool over the paint gallery on the Dekerf website.
    Let me tell you it will be worth it, we've sent over a few frames for re-paints etc and the finish is always amazing and makes an older bike just like new again!

There are even more finishes in the new gallery section on my website www.dekerfcycles.co.uk
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite

Person
    Sep 2005
    I got it apart! It took lots of WD-40, robogrips, pliers, and lots of beer.

Some really nice machined parts in there, kinda sad that they rarely get seen.

The Dekerf will be running again soon.

[IMG][/IMG]

Person
    Sep 2005
    A long overdue update. Thanks to all that helped me out with this, got it all back together in the winter. Chris Dekerf made me some new parts, and I bought a spare bushing and seal so I should be covered for a long time. Only problem now is a bit of top-out play in the rear, not a big deal, but little noises bug me.

Anyways, I made a carbon shock cover, hoping to never go through this again. It's a little dirty in the pic from doing it's job.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Damn, looks better if you cut a 1.5" piece of road tube and slide it on when it's all apart... pull down, zip tie boths ends, and BAMO... shock boot done right.

Person
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmitty
    Damn, looks better if you cut a 1.5" piece of road tube and slide it on when it's all apart... pull down, zip tie boths ends, and BAMO... shock boot done right.
    That would look like crap, plus it would make it harder to maintain.

I made a new carbon cover that looks a little better, and only weighs 5 grams.