Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    1+1
    1+1 is offline
    going for a ride
    Reputation: 1+1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    613

    Dekerf Implant owners

    What other bikes do you own? I find it very difficult to find an fs frame that doesn't make me want to go back to riding my Implant. I currently have a RM Slayer as well, and was considering a Nomad and a Yeti ASX. I'm thinking about a Knolly Delirium T. Or the new Bullit. Any suggestions? Thanks.

  2. #2
    FM
    FM is offline
    luxatio erecta
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,779
    Quote Originally Posted by 1+1
    What other bikes do you own?
    I ended up going to a Titus Motolite, with a burly build and big fork (for that frame) to get the relaxed head angle I was used to with the implant.

    I really loved my implant (still own the frame) but it always more of a all-mountain / techy XC trail bike for me, rather than a FR bike. The inability to run tires bigger than a 2.35 kept me from using it for anything gnarly. For FR stuff I had a Turner RFX which was great, then I replaced that with a Turner highline, which is also great... a little longer and more suited to high speeds & big hits. Pretty happy with the motolite for XC/AM and the Highline for FR.... I'd love to build the implant up again but I don't have the scratch or the riding time to justify 3 nice bikes....

    Note the parts from the implant went to the motolite, and the parts from the RFX went to the highline...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by FM; 02-03-2007 at 09:32 PM.

  3. #3
    1+1
    1+1 is offline
    going for a ride
    Reputation: 1+1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    613
    FM, thanks for the reply. I haven't looked at Titus before, mainly because there's no Titus dealer anywhere near here, I'm in China(way out west). There's a dealer in Hong Kong that stocks them, I had a look but not in detail. I know they're nice bikes. Turners I know a couple things about, but never test ridden. Also I know they're pricey and not available in my area. The dealer in HK has got quite a high markup on Titus and Turners, because they're boutique brands and by that justification alone, it's enough to keep the prices up there out of reach for the common man. However they do a good deal for SC bikes, that's why I'm seriously considering to get the new Bullit. My other choice to blow away my life savings would be to get a Knolly Delirium t. But that'll have to wait till I get back to Canada, whenever that'll be, mainly because I'm too paranoia to let them ship it over here, and also I'll like the bike shop I buy from to build it up for me. I still ride my Implant, everyday now that my Slayer is sick(waiting to replace a broken der hanger). My only gripes is the same as you and other Implant owners, the lack of rear tire clearance. I heard of some guy my friend knew in BC who rides his Implant with a 24" rear wheel and he can fit a 2.5" tire in there no problem. I might choose to go that route in the future. But first I want to look to replace my Slayer, only had it for a few months, but am ready to move on, more travel.
    Do you notice any brake jack on any of your fs? I want to try to find a design that is not overly affected by it, if that's possible at all. Is the Highline consider an sp design or is it some permutation of Turner's horstlink? I'm downloading your vids from your site as we speak. Did you used to have a .mac page with these clips on?

  4. #4
    Bikes!
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,636
    I have had my Implant for a year now, obviously I didn't always work with Chris and at that time I wanted to try a HT out made specifically for me and my riding style, the Implant fit the bill. Prior to owning the Implant I had various FS machines and had done the rigid and hard tail thing in the early to mid 90's I didn't see much point going back until then! I never ride anything but my Implant now, I sold all my FS bikes and can't even bring myself to pull the trigger on a new 29R because I'm afraid I wont like it as much as my Implant!!!



    The FS bikes that still hold a flame in my heart are as follows:

    Uzzi VPX - I'd have another one in an instant, it was the most fun fully I've ridden!



    Tracer - I've had 3 of these now, a great XC weapon although feels a little dated now







    I've had a lot more FS frames, but non of them are worthy of comparing them to the Intense in my opinion!

    If I were to buy another FS bike it'd be a 6.6 or something custom, however Dekerf will be launching a FS frame in the not too distant future, and if I were you, and by listening about what you say about your Implant, I'd advise waiting and seeing what it's like!
    Last edited by Just J; 02-04-2007 at 04:06 AM.
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2014 Intense Tracer 275
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2000 Intense Tracer

  5. #5
    1+1
    1+1 is offline
    going for a ride
    Reputation: 1+1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    613
    Just J, any idea what the new Dekerf fs would be made of?

  6. #6
    Bikes!
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,636
    Quote Originally Posted by 1+1
    Just J, any idea what the new Dekerf fs would be made of?
    We haven't decided on any confirmed details yet, but possibly Reynolds 853 utilizing an alloy rear end.
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2014 Intense Tracer 275
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2000 Intense Tracer

  7. #7
    1+1
    1+1 is offline
    going for a ride
    Reputation: 1+1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    613
    From my understanding(perhaps mistakenly), steel is not the best material for a fs, I mean it's already really forgiving. Correct me if I'm wrong. Wouldn't aluminum be stiffer?

  8. #8
    Bikes!
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,636
    The forgiving part on a FS frame is the rear end, that's why it'll more than likely be made from alloy as there would be no benefits making it from steel, only weight sacrifices, however there are some benefits having the front end made of steel in terms of ride quality.

    At the moment we are uncertain of specs and certainly have no time scales, but these are just some possibilities.
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2014 Intense Tracer 275
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2000 Intense Tracer

  9. #9
    FM
    FM is offline
    luxatio erecta
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,779
    Quote Originally Posted by 1+1
    FM, thanks for the reply. I haven't looked at Titus before, mainly because there's no Titus dealer anywhere near here, I'm in China(way out west). Turners I know a couple things about, but never test ridden. I'm seriously considering to get the new Bullit. My other choice to blow away my life savings would be to get a Knolly Delirium t. I still ride my Implant, everyday now that my Slayer is sick(waiting to replace a broken der hanger). My only gripes is the same as you and other Implant owners, the lack of rear tire clearance.
    Do you notice any brake jack on any of your fs? I want to try to find a design that is not overly affected by it, if that's possible at all. Is the Highline consider an sp design or is it some permutation of Turner's horstlink?
    Hey 1+1-

    Wow, China! How's the riding where you're located?

    Titus and turner both make great bikes... but there are so many great options out there these days, it's really hard to go wrong, even with production bikes. I have a bunch of buddies on Giant reigns and those look killer too, especially the '07's... different price point, but so much bike for the money! As for some of your other questions- well, the highline is a single-pivot or "faux-bar" I suppose. So at this point I've owned a forward single-pivot (santa cruz), three horst links (two titus's and the RFX), a faux-bar single-pivot (highline) and ridden a whole bunch of buddies bikes. They are all subtly different, I think the placement of the main pivot is way more important than other factors. The horst link vs. single-pivot thing is WAY over-rated I think; besides there are benefits to faux-bars, mainly stiffness. Now, the forward pivot-bikes (i.e. santa cruz) do all feel a lot different to me than the BB-pivot bikes like the Highline. The forward pivot bikes, to me, sometimes feel like they are "folding up" when you are climbing and hit something; likewise I also occasionally noticed some pedal kick. I can't say brake-jack is something that I've ever really felt. So, I woudl definatly buy another BB-pivot faux-bar, but I'm not so keen on forward pivot bikes. VPP bikes feel nice and seem to have some benefits, I have noticed the "chainstay growth" sensation when pedaling some buddies bikes, but it's not a bad feeling, just something I wasn't used too. Most important thing though- I think the geometry and execution are far more important than the suspension design.

    Hey I heard that DeKerf can mod the implant chainstays to take bigger tires... not a huge different though?

    yeah I used to have a mac.com site... still looking for the best hosting solution. Lots of good new movies though! Enjoy.

  10. #10
    Bikes!
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,636
    Yeah my Implant had the tyre mod, but I have never tried anything bigger than 2.3 on mine so I'm not sure but I think 2.5's would fit...
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2014 Intense Tracer 275
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2000 Intense Tracer

  11. #11
    1+1
    1+1 is offline
    going for a ride
    Reputation: 1+1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    613
    Hey FM, great videos. I remember watching them last year. Never thought I'll be talking to the guy who made those videos. I'm inspired to get a helmet cam and vid camera myself. I'll just wait till I get to Japan later on this year and check it out. I might be hitting you up for some advice on set up and such.
    The riding here is killer, literally. I never used padding till I came here. There's tons of variety of terrain, singletrack, fireroads, long climbs, brake fluid burning descents, you name it. Only no NS sort of riding, actually never done it myself. I rode in the Rockies for 3 years before I started riding again here. Definitely upped my (no)skills a couple notches. I have a friend from BC who spends late summer and fall up north from me in the Tibetan part of Yunnan. Great riding there as well. This guy is trying to set up an adventure riding thing up there, purely offroad, some into Tibet proper. Would love to check it out up there as well. It's all Himalayas. Some big hills out there. And almost for certain mostly unridden. No "no bikes" sign. It's all for the taking.
    As for fs design, I'm still pondering. Reading reviews here and there. I'll come to a decision soon enough. Wish there were other riders around here with nice bikes so I can test ride a few. I'm the only one riding around here, for say at least a 300km radius. Yeah, it's a pity. All those trails out there.
    Just J, thanks for the replies. I fitted a 2.25 in the rear today, haven't ridden it yet. But seems enough clearance, barely a quarter inch on either side of the tire. But it'll do for now.
    I still have awhile to make my decision. Interesting to see what Chris Dekerf will weld up. I bet it'll be a sweet ride.
    Stay safe, guys.

  12. #12
    1+1
    1+1 is offline
    going for a ride
    Reputation: 1+1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    613
    FM, when you talk about the SC forward pivot bikes, we're talking about their sp lineup right? Including the new bullit, I assume.

  13. #13
    MTK
    MTK is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    289

    1 + 1,

    I have a Santa Cruz Super 8. 54 Pounds it weigh's. Built Tonka Tuff.
    Fully Loaded,I love it. I ride it twice a mounth. All my time is on the
    Implant. I am looking now as well,have been for some time, for a 34
    pound 6" Squish. If I had that bike,I might be able to answer your
    other question,but I dont. I would like to say that I dont find the Rear
    Tire clearence a big deal. I am in CA,perhaps I might say different if
    I were in Canada. I run a Mishy 2.25,and Intense 2.35. Oddly,the Intense
    2.35 is narrow than the Mishy 2.25. I do run strips of heavy clear plastic
    on the Stays,right buy the top,the mud will cut my Girl like a Saw.
    Even if I could run a fatter tire,I would not. My bike weigh's over 38 pounds
    for one thing. There is a reason why we cant go with a Fat Tire,I'm ok
    with it. Now that Chris is back in the Game,all is well. Peace.

    MTK{thinking that JustJ and FM Bikes were just Filthy!}
    Attached Images Attached Images

  14. #14
    FM
    FM is offline
    luxatio erecta
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,779
    Quote Originally Posted by 1+1
    FM, when you talk about the SC forward pivot bikes, we're talking about their sp lineup right? Including the new bullit, I assume.
    yeah, mainly the older superlight, Bullit and Heckler...

  15. #15
    1+1
    1+1 is offline
    going for a ride
    Reputation: 1+1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    613
    Quote from MTK"I have a Santa Cruz Super 8. 54 Pounds it weigh's. Built Tonka Tuff.
    Fully Loaded,I love it. I ride it twice a mounth. All my time is on the
    Implant. I am looking now as well,have been for some time, for a 34
    pound 6" Squish. If I had that bike,I might be able to answer your
    other question,but I dont. I would like to say that I dont find the Rear
    Tire clearence a big deal. I am in CA,perhaps I might say different if
    I were in Canada. I run a Mishy 2.25,and Intense 2.35. Oddly,the Intense
    2.35 is narrow than the Mishy 2.25. I do run strips of heavy clear plastic
    on the Stays,right buy the top,the mud will cut my Girl like a Saw.
    Even if I could run a fatter tire,I would not. My bike weigh's over 38 pounds
    for one thing. There is a reason why we cant go with a Fat Tire,I'm ok
    with it. Now that Chris is back in the Game,all is well. Peace."
    -MTK, thanks for the reply. I know how it is. Sometime, only sometimes, I wish that the Implant wasn't so perfect in it's handling and manuverbility. It just makes getting any other bike that much more difficult. I have last year's RM Slayer 70 as well, it's an ok bike, relatively light, but my main gripe with it is that it won't take a coil in the rear. Also the steepish HA. I'm seriously considering a Knolly, been talking to the Knolly guys and one of the shops that carry their frames. I'm just paranoia about getting it shipped over, I"m in China, but they'll ship it to my wife's in Japan, but still, it's an expensive frame and I'll much rather wait till I get back to Canada and pick it up in person. A Knolly would probably be the closest thing to replace an Implant, in my books.

    quote by FM "yeah, mainly the older superlight, Bullit and Heckler..."
    FM, by that do you mean that their newer bullit and heckler are any different? Does it make any difference if the top of the shock is mounted onto the toptube(Heckler) or onto the downtube(Bullit)?
    Last edited by 1+1; 02-05-2007 at 10:54 PM. Reason: forgot to add punctuations

  16. #16
    FM
    FM is offline
    luxatio erecta
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    8,779
    Quote Originally Posted by 1+1
    FM, by that do you mean that their newer bullit and heckler are any different? Does it make any difference if the top of the shock is mounted onto the toptube(Heckler) or onto the downtube(Bullit)?
    I've only ridden the older designs, but I would expect the newer versions to ride about the same, just stiffer and less maintenance. If you are looking at santa cruz's, personally I would skip the bullit/heckler and go nomad...

  17. #17
    1+1
    1+1 is offline
    going for a ride
    Reputation: 1+1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    613
    FM, thanks for the advice. I've been seriously considering the bullit, new one, but based on your advice, I'll probably look elsewhere. Just one more quick question, would the Yeti sp such as the asx behave the same way as the sc sp's? Thanks.
    PS. I just noticed you're selling your Implant. Must be hard to let it go. I know I'll probably never sell mine.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    68
    I don't have any other FR frames. Mostly because I haven't found one that I like riding more than the Implant. I love the simplicity and lightness of the hardtail. Also, I haven't found that the lack of rear suspension is holding me back from doing things. I also wish for more tire clearance, but I can get by with 2.35" tires without too much difficulties.

    Anyways, I will be trying out a Delirium T to see what that is like in the near future. Knowing how well the V-Tach rides, I am pretty sure that I will like it. Whether I like it enough to replace my Dekerf is another question.

    Dave

    ps. Just picked up a Dekerf Solitaire last week with a Tuning Fork.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  19. #19
    1+1
    1+1 is offline
    going for a ride
    Reputation: 1+1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    613
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave K
    I don't have any other FR frames. Mostly because I haven't found one that I like riding more than the Implant. I love the simplicity and lightness of the hardtail. Also, I haven't found that the lack of rear suspension is holding me back from doing things. I also wish for more tire clearance, but I can get by with 2.35" tires without too much difficulties.

    Anyways, I will be trying out a Delirium T to see what that is like in the near future. Knowing how well the V-Tach rides, I am pretty sure that I will like it. Whether I like it enough to replace my Dekerf is another question.

    Dave

    ps. Just picked up a Dekerf Solitaire last week with a Tuning Fork.
    Yep, yep, yep, in those words almost is how I feel right now. The Knolly I wanted to have over here where I'm at right now, but I think it's better to try to demo one before slapping down a huge chunk of my life savings on it. In fact, I still have my Slayer still in pieces, simply because if I go riding on the RM, I feel so guilty when I come home and seeing the Implant just sitting there, you know what I mean.
    Congrats on the Solitaire, I was thinking about that a while ago, but I'm already riding my Implant as an ss, albut with suspension, Nice pic, got any more Implant action?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •