resident crackpot

DeKerf Generation

So, after six long weeks of waiting for closure from my stolen bikes claim, I am finally 'allowed' to look seriously at buying a new (to me) bike. I am currently looking to close a deal for a 99(?) Generation with a Fox Float RCL100 and lots of high-end goodies. I know that DeKerf bikes are well made and such, but I am concerned a touch at how the bike will handle with the 100mm fork on it. Is this a well-founded concern, or just being worrysome? I know that when I put my 80mm Skareb on my '96 Bontrager, which most of us know to be designed for a 60-63mm fork, I was more than pleased with the performance. Just kind of wondering if I will experience the same results. Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Latah~

~~~~~~~~
    the SO runs a talas on her 2000 generation and the favorite setting is at 100.
    It's stripped down for painting at the moment, but I'll see if I can assemble it enough to measure the HT angle.

Can you change the floats out to 80?

resident crackpot
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    the SO runs a talas on her 2000 generation and the favorite setting is at 100.
    It's stripped down for painting at the moment, but I'll see if I can assemble it enough to measure the HT angle.

Can you change the floats out to 80?
    the "SO"? I don't yet know about changing the travel on the Float. I don't really think it's necessary to partially assemble just to estimate the HT angle.

mtbr member

100mm vs 80mm Fork

I would be careful about adding a longer fork than recommended. With a longer top tube and shorter chain stay a long travel fork will affect the bike's handling dramatically. A 80mm fork will ride nicely, you may just have to spend more time adjusting it to get the "ride" you want.

Did you buy that one converted to SS on ebay last week? It looked nice.
    Canadian Parts on Canadian Bikes in Canada

resident crackpot
    Quote Originally Posted by rhett101
    I would be careful about adding a longer fork than recommended. With a longer top tube and shorter chain stay a long travel fork will affect the bike's handling dramatically. A 80mm fork will ride nicely, you may just have to spend more time adjusting it to get the "ride" you want.

Did you buy that one converted to SS on ebay last week? It looked nice.
    Hey Rhett,
    I am planning on buying one from one of your countrymen in Whistler. He works at I was looking at the rigid SS, but forgot about the auction ending today. Damn. I just found out that the fork is adjustable down to 80mm. I do know about the slackening of head tube angles when adding travel under the head tube, that is why I was concerned. I didn't figure it would really matter, but nonetheless, concerned. Now that I know it can be adjusted to 80mm, I'm not all that concerned.
    What do you suppose I would pay for shipping? I know it will be at least $50, but just wondering I guess.
    Thanks for the reply Rhett!

Latah~

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a 98 Team SL (might be a 97, can't remember)

I went from a 65mm or so travel 1997 Bomber (red legs, BAM) to a 04 Bomber MX Pro (100mm I think). I do notice a bit of slop when climbing and in the twisty stuff, but for the most part find it ok. I just tend to use the rebound lock out more on steep, technical climbs especially those I know are coming. I also set the fork up with lots of sag.

mtbr member

Shipping

$50 US sounds about right. You may want to insure it since it is going across the border. How did you find it? Do you have pics of the dekerf you're looking at? Inquiring minds need to know
    Canadian Parts on Canadian Bikes in Canada

mtbr member

100mm fork

Quote Originally Posted by loonyOne
    the "SO"? I don't yet know about changing the travel on the Float. I don't really think it's necessary to partially assemble just to estimate the HT angle.
    is this thread too old to revive? Anyhow, I'm airwreck's SO (signif. other, read..ball and chain) I have a 2000 dekerf that I've run several forks on. It was set up w/ a 80mm marzocchi and I've had a talas and a 100mm atom bomb. I like it best at 100, doesn't bother me on the climbs and I really like it for the rocky downhills. The other poster, sorry forgot his name, said his team sl felt slow, but he went from a 63 to a 100, that is a big diff. Here's a pix of it w/ the atom on it. Good luck, you will love your bike!
    Attached Images Attached Images