mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Cross post: Scream for Downhill?

Thought I'd stick this here, to get a bit more of an idea of things. Cheers for the input.

Hi, I was looking at getting into the more downhill riding. I'm currently on a hardtail with 5" forks, and was looking to go to a duallie that is mainly for downhill riding. I'm planning to go in the local races, just in the sport division and take it up to some chairlift mountains. While I'll probably be hitting some drops on the bike, I doubt I'm ever going to be going mega huge. I need to be able to pedal up a hill, but weight isn't a concern here, it's purely a fitness thing, and something that has to be done here.

Currently I was looking at the Banshee Scream, with a 200mm 888 on the front. The Banshee's are priced pretty well over here, the Scream costing about as much as a Bullit, so the main problem with cost is the fork. If I went the Chap, I could get away with the Z1, so that's saving a lot of money over a 888.
    Also, would a 170mm 66 be enough for the Scream in DH mode, or would it need a 200mm fork to get the best out of it?

Finally, tell me what you think of this build, how it would last and how it would go on the downhill.
    Scream
    Marz 888 (VF or RC, depending on finances)
    Saint everything except cranks.
    Holzfeller cranks
    Titec El Norte bar and stem

Would a Chappy be enough for what I want to do? I'm never going to be a world beater, or much of anything. I just want to have the most fun I can going down the hill.

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcbilly
    Saint everything except cranks.
    Dude, the cranks are the only Saint stuff worth buying! Avoid the rest of that overpiced Rapidemise nonsense, get SRAM x.7, and use your savings to buy a high-end DC fork, because that will ultimately make a bigger difference in the value and ride of the bike.

Anywho, I ride a Chaparral with a Super-T, and I can do everything my buddies on 9" bikes do, as well as everything my buddies on 4" bikes can do. The Scream is truly a pig amoungst pigs, I'd say go with the Chap (also a pig) and keep er' under the 50 pound mark.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I've already got everything on that list, came with my current hardtail, and it came at a very good price.