Bikes!

Cove Hustler XC climbing...

How do these things climb? I know they aren't the most advanced suspension design but then again I've ridden some really nice 4 bar single pivot designs in the past too, so what do you guys reckon?

By the way I'm a SS'er but I feel the need to hang some gears onto a FS for longer rides and the Hustler is on my short list as follows:

Cove Hustler XC
    Intense Spider 2
    Santa Cruz Blur LT
    Pivot Mach 5.7
    Orange ST4

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hi,
    I've had a Cove Hustler for the past 5 years and love it. I would'nt say it's the best climber but that's not it's selling point anyway. The feel of the bike is fantastic. Still climbed good enough for me. I had a Revelation 150mm fork added last year which worked great.

Overall I'd highly highly recommend the Cove Hustler. I used to live in North Van and have been a Cove user for almost 10 years (Stiffee, G-Spot and Hustler).

Now I'm in New Zealand so it's time to try something new.

The only issue with Cove bikes might be progression compared to some other manufacturers like Santa Cruz. Cove's are designed for steep technical North Shore trails which is where the thrive and the reason I've been a loyal supporter for years. Unfortunately my frame developed a crack by the seat post weld last week after some hard riding in Nelson.

Now I have to get a new frame - will try and get a crash replacement as Cove are good in the support department (they replaced a cracked G-Spot frame for me a few years ago with no issues).

Anyway I tried a friends Santa Cruz Blur LT a couple years ago on a trip to Vancouver and have to say I really liked the feel. Definitely felt like it climbed better than the Cove and also felt a bit more confident on the technical downhill - might have just been a good day riding but it's convinced me to get a Santa Cruz Blur LT for my next bike. I have a new 2011 large Santa Cruz Blur LT frame sitting in a boz next to me and will get it built up this next week with components from my Hustler.

I'll let you know how it feels.

Cove Hustler is definitely a great bike and has some bling factor to it as there are so few around; however I have a feeling the Santa Cruz Blur is a step above in terms of climbing and riding performance

cheers
    Rich

Bikes!
    Very interesting Rich, thanks for responding. Good luck with the Blur and I'd be really interested in hearing your comparison please...

Bikes!
    Hi Rich

Did you get the Blur built up?

I borrowed a LTc yesterday and thought it was amazing at climbing and pretty good on the downhills too, although I was more impressed on the ups weirdly enough. Just wondered how you were getting on?...