mtbr member
    Jan 2005

New question here. Cove Hustler swingarm bearing replacement - DIY job?

Finally found some wear in the main swingarm bearing. I can get a replacement bearing kit here in the UK - just wondered if it was a DIY job or if the bearings need special tools to remove and fit?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I can't answer that, but can you tell me(us) how long it took for play to develop? I'm new to the Cove Hustler (and full susp bearings in general) and want to get an idea when I should look at replacing mine as well.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hi - I've had mine for 2 1/2 years and it's only been the last month or so I've had the feeling that there was some play. I have been told by Evans that a bearing kit is 75 (!) but that includes the bushes in the rear triangle as well. I've ridden through Woburn sand, Peaks grit and Welsh rocks so I guess over 2 years is pretty good. My old Marin FS bikes went through shock mounts like there was no tomorrow!

Hope you're enjoying your Hustler - how long have you had it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks for the info, Bullet.

This is my first season on it; ride about 2,3,4 times a week here in the Alberta, Canada foothills - so I get my share of mud, dust, rocks, etc. My previous FS was a Turner XCE w/bushings so I'm new with the bearings. But 2 years sounds pretty good to me.

If you can, when you do the replacement, post up the results, as I'll be doing it myself as well in the future; I wanna see what I'm getting myself into.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I'll let you know how it goes when I do it. I emailed Cove technical support and got a reply from Brian Kelly. He needed some more info so I should get another reply later.

I havn't actually taken it apart yet so when I say bearings, I'm guessing really. However, there are no grease ports like the Turner has so I don't think it will have bushes? I'll keep you posted.

Bullet.

mtbr member
    Just browsing and spotted this. Try to find out what the bearing code is for your bearings. You can usually source them fairly cheaply away from your bike shop. I got 4 bearings on ebay for the main swingarm of my Kona Coiler for less than 1/4 the price Kona charge. I assumed they'd be inferior quality to those fitted, but they were exactly the same.

If you can't find what the bearing code is (it'll typically be a 4 or 5 digit number, possibly with a three letter code after it, like 6003-2RS), you can remove the swingarm and see the bearings. The code should be printed on the seals between the races.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hi Baz - thanks for the tip. I did exactly as you say and got the bearing code from Cove and bought them locally for a 1/4 of what the Cove importers wanted... Went in fine and the bike is as good as new.

mtbr member
    Excellent news, that'll be $150 please.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hi Xcolin - thought I'd follow up on the bearing saga. Sourced bearing from a local supplier here in the UK - 8.50 each - better than the importers price. Needed two, one each side in the housing on the downtube. Drifted them out easily enough, cleaned everything and tapped the new ones carefully into place. There was some slight wear on the pivot bolt that goes all the way through but not too bad so I re-used it. A new one is only 18 so I'll change it when I get time. Bike rides good as new.

Cheers, Bullet

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I know the exchange rate is good these days but really :-)

Bullet

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet
    Hi Xcolin - thought I'd follow up on the bearing saga. Sourced bearing from a local supplier here in the UK - 8.50 each - better than the importers price. Needed two, one each side in the housing on the downtube. Drifted them out easily enough, cleaned everything and tapped the new ones carefully into place. There was some slight wear on the pivot bolt that goes all the way through but not too bad so I re-used it. A new one is only 18 so I'll change it when I get time. Bike rides good as new.

Cheers, Bullet
    good to know!

are these the bearing/bolt specs you based it on?

http://www.silverfish-uk.com/cms-fil...257c0ec504.pdf

cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yes - they are the specs I used. For some reason the bearing codes are all 5 digit in the bearing industry so the 6901's are called 61901. Then you can get them with or without seals. I went for 61901RS which means they have rubber seals to keep the races clean. It says x4 bearings on that sheet - as my Hustler is a 2005 it only had 2, one each side. I think they must have changed it to 4 in later years.

If your based in the UK, just search in Yellow Pages for suppliers. The best bearings to use are SKF although I used a slightly cheaper brand.

Bullet.

mtbr member
    RS (rswww.com) do bearings, not the cheapest,but good range and next day delivery. Ebay is also a good source.