Biketart.com
    Jan 2005

Cove Hustler or G-Spot?!

Bit stuck as to whether to go for a Cove Hustler or a G-Spot.

I mostly ride around the woods, trail riding, singletrack, light freeride stuff but not massive hucks. Not gonna be doing huge Shore type stuff. I've been reading up on the G-Spot and i hear the 5th Element shock makes it perfectly usable on the ups. Is that right? I pedal back up stuff rather than push where possible but I'm not an XC junkie.

Alternatively there's the Hustler with 5" of travel which has been getting great reviews over in the UK as a cool bike for trail riding, that can handle technical decents pretty well and handle uphill well too - bout 28lb bike.. Perhaps this is better suited to my style?

Part of me keeps thinkin that the G-Spot will be a much more 'fun' bike, but if its not too good, or too heavy, for general use then its not for me.

Interested to hear from people that've ridden both. I'm about 6ft2 and about 200 pounds. So was prob thinkin of the 19.5 frame. I'll be putting my existing 130mm Marzocchi on whichever i get.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Just sold a Hustler and got a G Spot to replace it. Basically the Hustler got me doing more and more silly things. Both are great bikes, the Hustler being the best "trail" bike I've ridden, but the geometry, balance and confidence-inspiring build led me on to doing drops, jumps, DHs and speeds which pushed me into the "freeride" side of things.

The G Spot is the perfect fit for me now - it goes uphill, albeit slower than the Hustler. It likes being thrown around singletrack, but it is more sluggish than the Hustler when accelerating due it its extra weight. However, point it down, through or off anything and it feels like a DH rig. Only thing in the back of my mind is whether I should have put 66's on instead of the Z1 Fr1, but the 66 doesn't have ETA, weighs a lot more and is taller so to keep the genuine "up and down" rideability I went for the Z1. Its the best compromise available at the moment, and overall the G Spot as I've got it set up is definitely one of the best "do everything" bikes on the market.

Overall it depends what riding you do; if you are after an all-rounder that can soak up bigger stuff go G Spot, if speedy all-mountain circuits, enduros and general trails are what its about go Hustler.

FWIW you might want to talk to the guys at Switchbacks in Spain/France (www.switch-backs.com) - Mike is a former national Canadian DH racer and has both. He's a good bloke with good advice based on riding the Spanish Sierra Nevada mountains daily (he also runs a great holiday company!)