mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Good job! Cove Hustler - first ride impressions

Coming from a Marin RiftZone QUAD with Pace ProClass2 forks...

The Hustler has Fox TALAS R forks and the RP3 rear shock. What an awesome piece of kit. Really stiff, climbs like a mountain goat and floats over anything in it's path. Rides a lot lighter than it really is as well.

Having been a Marin rider for several years I can't believe how good the four-bar suspension is. Just want to get out on it again and again... :-)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet
    Coming from a Marin RiftZone QUAD with Pace ProClass2 forks...

The Hustler has Fox TALAS R forks and the RP3 rear shock. What an awesome piece of kit. Really stiff, climbs like a mountain goat and floats over anything in it's path. Rides a lot lighter than it really is as well.

Having been a Marin rider for several years I can't believe how good the four-bar suspension is. Just want to get out on it again and again... :-)
    You're not in Berkshire are you? I saw a shiny looking Black Hustler out for what looked like its first ride on Saturday. Still on my test ride list, but I've just picked up a 2nd hand 04 Slayer so that will keep me happy for a few weeks

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Very dull question but what length did you use the forks at?

I too have a Hustler and currently use 100mm forks. I don't think I would ever need a shorter front end and hanker after something a bit longer. Was thinking about some vanilla 130's. Do you reckon the Talas is worth the extra for a Hustler?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I'm running the TALAS forks at about 123mm - two clicks down from the maximum 130mm travel and each click is 3mm. They are brand new so still bedding in but I'm getting a good 110mm already and havn't really hit them with anything severe yet.

I'm new to the geometry and set-up of the bike overall but it seems to be much easier to lift the front up for dropoffs etc compared to the Marin which always wanted to nose dive although I put that down to my lack of ability before.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

I am thinking of getting one too!

Hi People.
    I REALLY like the hustler, but I wanted to test ride one. Do you know anywhere that sells them and would allow a test ride? What are your impressions after a few months BULLET?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy98
    Hi People.
    I REALLY like the hustler, but I wanted to test ride one. Do you know anywhere that sells them and would allow a test ride? What are your impressions after a few months BULLET?
    Not sure about a test bike. Best to Email the importers at www.silverfish-uk.com and ask them. I got mine at Marshalls in Stevenage but they didn't have a test bike (I ride with someone who has a Hustler and a Hummer so tried that)

Impressions now I've had it a while are still excellent - it has really opened up the type of riding I do. Still ideal for XC blasting and long day rides but will handle jumps and more aggressive riding too. I am no freerider but it has got me doing drop-offs that I wouldn't have even dreamt of doing before - 4' is my max so far and I think the bike would handle more if I could (I'm 47 so old enough to know better really!). Rides light and flows over anything as it's so stiff rather than flexing when you cross ruts etc. The Fox TALAS forks really compliment the frame and are solid as a rock. It didn't take long to get the rear shock pressure right and I get the full 5" travel but the ProPedal damping is very effective and on the maximum setting gives no bob at all.

If I really had to find one criticism, it would be with the 130mm fork setting the geometry for steep climbs makes the front end very light so you have to work to keep your weight forward to keep it down. I'm being lazy and not bothering to wind down the TALAS adjustment on the forks though so if you knew you were doing a lot of climbing on a particular route you could wind them down to 90mm and solve that easily.

Overall - it's the best thing I ever did buying the Hustler and would definitely recommend it to you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Thanks for that

I am glad to hear you are still happy with the hustler. Did you like your friends Hummer?
    I am trying to keep to a budget of £2200 -2400 and I was wondering what kind of build you went for adn without being rude, how much you paid?
    Cheers
    I am going to email silverfish now!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

I am glad to hear you are still happy with the hustler. Did you like your friends Hummer?
    I am trying to keep to a budget of £2200 -2400 and I was wondering what kind of build you went for adn without being rude, how much you paid?
    Cheers
    I am going to email silverfish now!
    The Hummer is one of the limited edition softail versions - very cool although I havn't ridden it - looks good when I follow it though.

The build on mine was based on all the bits that came off my Marin RiftZone plus a new chain set etc. Got a bit of a deal from Marshalls on the frame but basically look at list price for the frame and forks (£1195 and £479) plus an LX Hollowtech II chainset which was new then Hope Mini brakes, Mavic 317 wheels and Shimano hubs, seat post, plus Easton carbon bars and other bits. I reckon you could build one up within your price range. Go on, you know you want to!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

You Knows It!

I have spoken to Rutland Cycles and they are building a test Hustler up this week! I am going up there next week!
    I cant wait, I am also going to test ride an Orange 5 Pro
    I will let you know how I get on ! Any tips on sizing? I am 6"2, so I not sure whether to go 21".

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I have spoken to Rutland Cycles and they are building a test Hustler up this week! I am going up there next week!
    I cant wait, I am also going to test ride an Orange 5 Pro
    I will let you know how I get on ! Any tips on sizing? I am 6"2, so I not sure whether to go 21".
    Good news Stumpy98. I too am stumpy but in height rather than bike type at 5' 8" ! I've got a 15.5 inch frame and although it looks tiny with the sloping top tube, it's exactly the right size for me. Good standover height and the reach is fine although I like a fairly upright position. I did ride a 17.5 and that fitted but did feel a lot bigger so I would imagine a 21 inch frame would be huge! I would say go for the something that gives you plenty of room to move around on as it will tempt you into some interesting moves :-)

Keep me posted on how you get on.

Bullet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Get one!

I've had mine 10 months and love it. I got a set of TALAS and like bullet I think they really work well with the bike (~120mm is optimum). I am about 6'1" and ride a 19" which is perfect. My riding has got better and I can go faster for longer across more demandind terrain.

you will not be disappointed

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Demo Day @ Rutland

All my questions will be answered next week !
    There is a demo day at Rutland cycles and Cove, Orange, etc are going to be there. So I am going to be able to test ride all the potential candidates. BTW the TALAS is a NICE fork, I tried it on the SJ120 Expert I test rode (didnt like the bike though ). I was also considering the new PACE fork https://www.pacecycles.com/product.a...D=2&subcat=458.
    Also, any tips on colour?
    Cheers for your input. DO any of you have some PICS of your toys? (I am sure u do!) Post one here or on the Cove thread.PLEASE

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    All my questions will be answered next week !
    There is a demo day at Rutland cycles and Cove, Orange, etc are going to be there. So I am going to be able to test ride all the potential candidates. BTW the TALAS is a NICE fork, I tried it on the SJ120 Expert I test rode (didnt like the bike though ). I was also considering the new PACE fork https://www.pacecycles.com/product.a...D=2&subcat=458.
    Also, any tips on colour?
    Cheers for your input. DO any of you have some PICS of your toys? (I am sure u do!) Post one here or on the Cove thread.PLEASE
    Sounds like you'll have fun next weekend then... Colourwise, I went for the Blue. My mate has the matt black which is nice and I did consider red. This year there are some new colours including a flame orange/red which looks good. Depends on whether you want to go stealth mode or be seen a mile off :-)

I have some pics but don't know how to post then on the forum - any ideas? If not you could post your Email address and I'll send you some (if you don't mind putting it on here?)

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

i knew you could not resist!

HaHa !!
    Rockin with the pics, I have no idea on how to put the pics in the forum. But I am going to investigate.... and post once I figure it out.

Send the pics anyway

seodov@hotmail.com