Thread: Cove Hustler 09

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Cool-blue Rhythm Cove Hustler 09

Can anyone out there give me a clue about the hustler? Of course I'm aware of them, in the UK they're are known about but are seen as exclusive or even obscure. The reason I ask is I've been offered an 09 as a crash replacement to my meta 551. When the insurers couldnt find a meta, they raced through some options such as orange 5s and spesh enduros etc,

Then this bright spark suggested the Cove Hustler and to be honest I couldn't think of a good enough reason to say no. I've looked at various websites and to be honest and I apologise if I offend anyone here, but they look a bit like an 07 Kona Dawg, which kinda burst my bubble. The reviews here on mtbr are blinding, but what I want to know given how lots of manufacturers have raised their games to accomodate the expanding 'all-mountain' market, how does this seemingly unchanging frame compete?

Is it good enough for 2010?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Find your nearest Cove dealer and have a look at one. Tbh they aren't that different from a Dawg, but that's hardly a bad thing, Dawgs are nice bikes. They still compete because the important things (geometry, build quality) are good.

Begs the question why can't the insurers find you another Meta, Merlin's got them so others probably do too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Hope cove not meta

The insurers use the dealer wheelies, who I presume can only supply replacements from their suppliers, and they went straight to Madison the UK importers. They sid there were no metas because of the time of year, the switch from 09 to 2010 models.

To be honest I'm wasn't that bothered the meta whilst a great bike to ride, couldn't handle the rough stuff, hence the need for a replacement. The accident was innocuous but still heavily dented the frame.

On the subject of the Hustler, I've read around a bit and the reviews have all been positive, it would seem they (cove) have stuck with a proven, tried and tested design rather than test new designs or jump on the swoopy tube bandwagon like all the others.

By the way I've nothing against Konas, I quite like them.

Cheers for the reply

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i picked up a frame late last year, i'd just sold my intense 5.5 and was looking for maybe another 5 spot (i had a HL a couple of years ago), nicolai or ventana, then a hustler came up at the right coin so i thought why not i'll give it a go, and i love it i never thought i would but its probly the stiffest most confidence enspiring bike ive ridden, the four bar linkage and angles are perfect it just seems bang on for trail riding and uk trail centres............... it cant get enough of and can take a real beating

i'm actualy just in the proccess of having it re-sprayed so i'll put up some photos next week