steep fast and loose :)

Cove Hummer & Chainsuck

anyone else ?
    RF Deus XC chainset + 50mm chainline here.
    Sucked flike a pig,

Simon.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I ran my Hummer with a Deus XC crank for a while, and experienced chainsuck from time to time, but I blame the quickly worn granny ring, not the frame. The chainrings on the Deus XC crank wear easily. I've changed to a Middleburn Duo 29/42 now, and have no sucking issues.

steep fast and loose :)
    bik3man - middleburn cranks and rings ?
    if so, what's the spacing, etc ? any pics ?

simon.

mtbr member
    Yes, Middleburn RS7 arms with duo spider. 29/42 is perfect for AM/trail-use.

I have no pics of my setup, but this is a typical Duo: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/K...x?ModelID=3345

More info here: http://www.middleburn.co.uk/

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    No problem with my old Hummer. Using old RF Turbine cranks and RF rings (I can't remember if I replaced the middle ring or not).

mtbr member
    Same with me. I have a 2003 Hummer, and the first years I used the old Turbine cranks & rings, and had no problems. Then I changed to the Deus XC crank and after a while I had massive chainsuck.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Sounds like it is the ring(s)? Maybe check the reviews for the cranks to see if others are having problems with the rings on the RF Dues cranks.

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    Hmmmm....... interesting to find this thread. Before I got mine a friend said he was having endless problems with chainsuck on his Hummer.

When I got mine I fitted the Deus crankset from the bike it replaced - together with new Doere steel middle and inner rings, new cassett and chain (I have been using deore rings on both my bikes for a couple of years now as aluminium rings have a very limited life during UK winters!). It sucked from about the third ride and quickly started to damage the chainstay.

I then experienced total failure of the Deus bolt and fitted a new Shimano XT Hollowtech 11 chainset from my other bike so I could keep riding - no further problem to date (although it won't be long as the life of Shimano aluminium rings is measured in weeks around here).

I had by then exchanged a couple of e mails with Brian Kelly at Cove and he insists that all will be fine so long as there is a 50mm chainline. The XT is spot on for that - I can't comment upon the Deus as that has not been refiited since the bolt was replaced. However, my friend who experienced the same problem also has a Deus set fitted - something of a trend here? No idea why that should be though as the Deus should also deliver a 50mm chainline.
    Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional