Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Honestly I just thought the stickers are cheap and horrible and way too big for the top tube. All my riding (and non riding) friends know what it is and I still get every "Handjob" jibe imaginable.

I've made a few changes since those photos. A shorter 80mm stem, a set back Thomson seatpost and "ghetto" tubeless.

mtbr member
    Nice bike Mr Wibble - great to see it finished. I hope you're enjoying the new ride : )
    It looks nice in white. A good sensible build for trail riding - I like.

Yokine, my Zona sticker was down by the derailleur - I promptly scuffed it by mistake whilst fitting the derailleur, and so removed it. Crap place to put it really or maybe crappy building skills on my part. Great thread, let's hope some more Handjobbers drop in here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    my hj on the latest ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Has anyone toyed with the 69er idea or is there enough room for a full 29er ? any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    No.

mtbr member
    Thought it was about time for some riding shots. A Swiss forest somewhere above Lake Lugano,

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    'can't resist to post the current setup.

mtbr member
    Hey everyone!

Lots of great HJs here! I'm looking at replacing my steady beast ('96 Kona Cinder Cone - Kona chromoly double butted steel) with an HJ. A buddy of mine is selling his frame for $300 Cdn. It's like a matte brown colour. '07? '08? Not sure. It doesn't have V-brake mounts (dammit!) I'll have to clarify with him.

Anyways, is this a good deal? I'm probably gonna try and move as much over from "Cindee" as I can but will put an '03 Z1FR with ETA on it if I go for this frame. Looks to be in good shape - the drivetrain is probably shot but I'm more interested in the frame. I might need his wheels to since "Cindee" is still on v-brake hubs and rims.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

2010 Handjob

Just built up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cove handjob, show me yours !!!-537.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    My 2005 Blue Handjob as it is currently. Good to see lots of others handjobs

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    the 2010 cove bikes homepage says the handjob has Tange Prestige cromoly tubing in 2010 and new decals.

http://www.covebike.com/bikes/handjob.html

and a question: am I the only one hj owner feeling that the hj frame is a bit too flexy?

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008

iron maiden v4.0

latest build, shown with off road wheels and tires. commute on slicks on the weekdays.

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisherceg
    the 2010 cove bikes homepage says the handjob has Tange Prestige cromoly tubing in 2010 and new decals.

http://www.covebike.com/bikes/handjob.html

and a question: am I the only one hj owner feeling that the hj frame is a bit too flexy?
    haven't ridden it, but after a call to cove they also lament that the tange prestige is here to stay despite being heavier and not as good as the columbus.

i'm scouring the web for an old columbus for a backup frame.

Kaishingo
    Just took delivery of a 2010:

Doing a simple swap build from my Explosif. Hoping to have it ready to ride by the weekend (I'd better - since the parts are off the Kona already!!).

I've ridden Prestige before, but never Columbus. I was looking at an 09 from CRC, but opted for the 2010 after talking with the US distributor. Shipping scale says 4.9 lbs for a 17 - so yes, a bit on the heavy side. Then again, if I was going for light-weight, I would have a Scandium Kona for cheaper!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    This is my new toy. Top photo shows it built up with LX crank and deore cassette & chain.

Just purchased a new M590 Deore crank, PG970 cassette & chain shown in the picture below ( and the seatposts the right way round too hehe )

Wheels not the best, came stock on my old Giant Trance but intend to change to Mavic 717 / XT wheels when funds permit !

Bit off topic but the new crank is actually the same weight as the LX at 860g and has a steel middle ring so should last longer.

Full Spec

Fox Float 130 RLC with Hussefelt 60mm stem + Race Face low rise bars
    Hope Headset & Hope seat post clamp
    Shimano XT M775 servowave brakes & Rotors
    Shimano XT M770 shifters
    Shimano XT M772 SGS shadow rear mech
    Shimano XTR M960 front mech
    Shimano XT gear cables
    Shimano Deore M590 Chainset
    Sram PG970 cassette
    Sram PG971 chain
    Alex DP-17 Rims & Formula hubs
    Maxxis High Roller 60a & 42 super tacky tyres

Not that light, weighs in at 28.1 lbs but i'm not arsed anyways

Congratulations to all HJ owners, some lovely bikes on this post

Last edited by Stu72; 05-25-2010 at 08:49 AM.

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    @Stu72 - I think your seatpost is turned the wrong way around, unless you want it that way of course.
    Nice HJ, unfortunately the black doesn't stay that shiny for long. Mine didn't anyway!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    ffs, cant believe i've done that well spotted !!!

Yeah, know what you mean about the paint. I was going to powder coat it before i put my new decals on but ended up not bothering.

I put the small cove logos further along the toptube as the others were cable rubbed pretty badly.

Stu

Kaishingo
    Finished the build and went for first ride over the weekend:

Note the lack of a chainstay protector. I didn't realize that until the first downhill - going to borrow my wife's nail polish later

Ended up going 1x9. Oddly, the granny ring rubbed on the chainstay even though the chainline is near perfect. Might have to do with the old-school octalink. Oh well - been meaning to ditch that!

Despite a ride that was plagued with dropped chains (going to 1x9, chain keeper was another thing I forgot on my rush out the door), and the cringing from a chipped chainstay, I few thoughts on the bike: The rear-end is stiff...in fact the whole ride is stiff. Stiffer then my 853 explosif at least, and without the "hollow" feel of aluminum. At the same time, this thing is a tank. I didn't weight the whole bike, but it's definitely in the high twenties. I'll have to do some gram counting on future part purchases.

I'll have to get a few more rides in until I can get some more feedback. Like I said, I was sort of distracted this time around.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    great looking ride! don't fret over the chain stay...it's a Cove and can handle this with pride!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    My new handjob

Happy happy riding
    Christian from Norway

And yeah, my english suck!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    sweet ride, loving that

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    nice ride! didn't realize they had green now

i think you should route the front brake hose to inside of fork leg

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by a.davis12
    woo first post ever.
    I'm looking at getting a cove for my new urban abuse bike. i was going to get an on-one scandal, but its proving to be impossible. very nice bikes on here.
    now for a sizing question. I am 5'11" ish with an 86-7 inseam. (very long legs)
    am i right in thinking i should get a 19.5"?
    I share very similar measurements 5'11", 34" inseam. Longish arms too. Can someone recommend a size? I'm thinking 19.5 but wondering if 17.5 would work. Let's assume a stem between 70 and 90 mm. Fairly wide lo-rise bars.
    I hate 650b because it's not as fun as 26 inch wheels and because it doesn't have the rollover ability of 29 inch wheels.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Bluth
    I share very similar measurements 5'11", 34" inseam. Longish arms too. Can someone recommend a size? I'm thinking 19.5 but wondering if 17.5 would work. Let's assume a stem between 70 and 90 mm. Fairly wide lo-rise bars.
    I'm 5'10" 33" inseam and the 17.5 fits well.

Frame: Cove Handjob 17.5"
    Fork: Manitou Minute 20mm
    Brakes: Hayes Grams full ti hardware
    Cranks: Truvativ Stylo
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR
    Rear Derailleur: Sram X.9
    Shifter: Sram X.9
    Pedals: Shimano PD M-424
    Stem: Truvativ XR 65mm
    Handlebar: Answer Carbon Protaper
    Seatpost: Thomson Elite
    Saddle: WTB Devo Ti
    Bottom Bracket: Truvativ
    Chainguide: Gamut Dual
    Cassette: Sram 990 11-32
    Headset: Crank Bros Opium C
    Grips: Answer XC
    Tires: Maxxis Minion DHF 2.35 single ply
    Weight: 26.5
    Wheels: Sun Ringle Charger Expert
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cove handjob, show me yours !!!-cove.jpg  

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast