Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Using yesterday's technology, to create tomorrow's problems, today.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Had the first ride on my newly built Handjob today, my first ride on a decent steel frame and I really enjoyed it. It's definately more compliant than the alloy frames I'm used to, but still has a real zip to it.

Component highlights:

17.5" PC Green frame
    Rockshox Revelation Dual Air 20mm Maxle (set at 130mm travel)
    Hope Headset
    Hope Pro II hubs on Mavic D521 Rims
    Hope X2 Tech brakes with floating rotas
    XT 1x10 drivetrain with Raceface cranks, E13 32T chainring, E13 XCX chain device, 11-36 cassette.
    Raceface, SDG and ODI finishing kit.

The brake hoses need shortening and the pedals swaping for some white ones, but that's about it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gachet View Post
    Had the first ride on my newly built Handjob today, my first ride on a decent steel frame and I really enjoyed it. It's definately more compliant than the alloy frames I'm used to, but still has a real zip to it.
    nice little beast!

mtbr member
    Very nearly finished now. Front wheel will be built for next week-end and then I can finish and fettle everything but it's been a really simple build. Rims are 717s with Hope hubs but I've found a pair of Crossmax SL that I want as a spare pair with mud tyres. Getting more excited by the day and I'm amazed a just how much lighter than my old Marin it is (although I doubt it'll be much under 25lbs).....

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

mtbr member
    Finished.....

Fox Fit100 RLC fork
    XTR chainset and shifters
    XT pedals
    Hope X2 Tech Evo brakes
    3T Team carbon bars, stem and seatpost
    Mavic 717 rims, DT spokes and nipples, Hope hubs
    Gore cables

Hope y'all like it..........

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

mtbr member
    Very nice.

mtbr member
    Thought I'd give an update update my 2008 model. Three and a bit years and going strong, definitely a keeper. Just works and handles so great. Started with it in Switzerland and now we are in Western Australia. Looking at the pics it seems I've changed everything, without being too radical. Mainly just some upgrades and fit improvements. The 2009 Reba is set at 120mm travel and the newish wheels are Sun Ringle Charger Experts running tubeless WTB 2.3 tyres.

My original introduction was here: Cove handjob, show me yours !!!

December 2008

April 2012

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Cove HJ

Not a brilliant picture by any means but you get the idea. Have had this one for a few years now. It's perfect for the trails I ride and the type of riding I like to do. Big thanks to the guys at Cove for hooking things up over the years.
    Adam.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cove handjob, show me yours !!!-cove-hj.jpg  

mtbr member
    Great photo Adam, it gives the impression of you being way out in the wilderness!

I've found the boys at Cove very helpful too; good people, good frames.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks Major,

This is about an hour ride from my front door up on Mount Seymour. Hardly way out but you do get the feeling of being away from the city when you're up there no doubt. No place like the North Shore!

Nice build by the way, probably the most tricked out HJ around. That'll be a fun ride. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    great bikes, as usual. mine, after three years has been disasembeld. all the parts went to a cheap kona frame. to be honest, i felt the geometry of the cove spot-on, but hated the twist and flex that made the tight situations very frustrating for me. hence the kona, with almos identical geometry and with a surefooted ride. i really like it!

despite its fault, i really like the handjob, so built it up againt with a salsa rigid fork, 160/140mm brakes, 42/32x11-34 9s drivetrain, 660mm flat bar and fast tires. now its fast and comfy, way better than ever before. I plan to change the cheap seatpost and the vintage shifters, apart from that it's ready.

yokine, thanks for your kind help in connection with sizing back in the day!

Kaishingo
    These builds have me tempted to put mine back together. Till then, the frame is up for sale!

PAID SPAM: COVE HANDJOB FRAME 17" 2011 - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories
    kaishingoapparel.com
    Eco-Friendly Cycling Jerseys

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    I miss my handjob- but this old mans back could not take it anymore. So nice

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    just to bump the tread

meow, meow.
    That a 425 mm Salsa CroMoto?
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    That a 425 mm Salsa CroMoto?
    yes, that's it.

meow, meow.
    How do you like the handling with that fork height?
    I too have a 425 mm CroMoto (and a Handjob, of course), but have never attempted to put them together.
    Have got a Ragley 440 mm, 15 mm TA carbon fork stashed for the HJ build.
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I really like the handling with the salsa. it's fast but, not furious and comfy enough with the big volume mountain king front tyre. being honest, i must admit that i don't like lazy handling, laid-back style bikes.

more pics to get the idea:

meow, meow.
    Thanks! The second photo says it clear.
    I think it's not just the slacker HTA that contributes to the laid back feeling of a HJ, but the high BB too.
    425 mm fork deals with both, of course.

When my HJ had suspension forks (in 2 previous builds), I preferred to run them at about 80 mm travel because of this. This was the sweet spot for me. Just lowering the BB (somehow) would have done the trick too, I guess.
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    How's this one?
    reba rlt, mavic crossmax, avid elixir 3, x9/x0 2x10 setup.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I've found no guidance about rust prevention on this steel frame, especially with respect to the cantilever brake mounting hole in the brace at the top of the seat stays.

After most rides, the hole's filled with water and clogged with mud; if this is pooling inside the tubing it could be rusting the stays / brace or, even worse, running down inside the seat stays and into the drop outs / chain stays, causing rusting there.

Apart from drying, does anyone treat this (eg grease internally)? Also, although I assumed the brake line tabs appear to have been designed for a zip tie(?) to hold the cable in place, I wondered if my assumption' correct and what others do?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cove handjob, show me yours !!!-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by chopsuk View Post
    I've found no guidance about rust prevention on this steel frame, especially with respect to the cantilever brake mounting hole in the brace at the top of the seat stays.

After most rides, the hole's filled with water and clogged with mud; if this is pooling inside the tubing it could be rusting the stays / brace or, even worse, running down inside the seat stays and into the drop outs / chain stays, causing rusting there.

Apart from drying, does anyone treat this (eg grease internally)? Also, although I assumed the brake line tabs appear to have been designed for a zip tie(?) to hold the cable in place, I wondered if my assumption' correct and what others do?
    I've treated my handjob with crc-336, but I think you can use any other rust inhibitor. The holes in the braces between the seatstays and between the chainstays could be covered with a tinny bit of ducttape. The holes on the dropouts aren't covered on mine, just to let it air if it's needed. I've applied grease on the screws in the the bottle cage mounts. You shoud put an O ring on the seatpost and push it down against the seat coller, apply a bit grease under the O ring.

Mine was delivered with little clips to hold the brake line in place, but the zip-ties work fine too.

You can find pics of my HJ back in this tread if you are interested. Yours looks good! What forks are they?

meow, meow.
    I did the same. Sprayed inside the frame with automotive corrosion inhibitor, then taped those holes.

Alternatively, silicone sealant can be used to plug the holes.
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chopsuk View Post
    How's this one?
    reba rlt, mavic crossmax, avid elixir 3, x9/x0 2x10 setup.
    Very nice. Would you mind telling me where you got a 2013 fork with 1.125" steerer and 15mm axle? Thanks

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast