Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    meow, meow.
    grenke1, please post photos of the frame.
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    Just taken delivery of a 2012 HJ frame with Prestige tubing. Am now collecting all the bits to attach to it and I'll post some pics. I like some weight on my hands so am going with a 100mm fork and flat bars but will fiddle around with that in good time.

All very exciting..........
    Using yesterday's technology, to create tomorrow's problems, today.

meow, meow.
    Major Clanger,
    I've tried a size 17.5" HJ with 580 mm flat bar and 90 mm stem. My height is 174 cm.
    It was not impressive at all, and that became obvious when I went to 685 mm riser bar and 50 mm stem. Made one hell of a difference.

This time I'm going to try, out of curiosity, a Ragley Carnegie bar and a 70 mm stem. If I don't like it, I'll revert to wider traditional shaped riser bar and 50 mm stem.
    26" faithful.

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    @Major Clanger - try and get some pics up when you get a chance. I'd be interested to see how it looks.

Just like J.RP above, I too ran a 90mm stem on my 17.5" HJ albeit with a 685mm bar and I found it too lazy in the handling department. When I swapped for a 70mm stem (same rise as 90mm) and a 725mm bar I found that it handled a lot better and I could climb just as well as with the 90mm stem.

meow, meow.
    Quote Originally Posted by DGB View Post
    I found it too lazy in the handling department.
    Precisely! -- this felt so wrong to me as to put me off anything with slacker than 69 degrees HTA (with fork extended). I even ran my HJ with 85 mm forks most of the time, which made it feel right. This time around I'll try to get used to a 100 mm fork.
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    Interesting that you found the handling too lazy...

Okay, I'm a shade over 6ft and have the 19.5" frame. Already bought the forks (Fox FIT100 RLC) and plan to use Easton EC90 flat bars, 590mm wide. The stem will be Hope XC but won't decide on length or rise until I have the bike semi-built and even then I'll experiment a bit.

If you look at my current bike on my user profile you'll see how I like it set up - plenty of weight on my hands so I can load up the front a little and feel what the tyre is up to. Not to everyone's taste of course and I won't build the Cove to be as extreme, but I certainly don't want to go down the route of longer travel forkers that kick the front wheel out. Never had a problem going downhill either as long as the seat post is dropped a little.

I'll take some pics this week-end once all the bits are in one place. Currently some of them are hidden so my wife doesn't jump on my head, although she'll do that anyway when the bank statements arrive!

mtbr member
    Well, here are the beginnings........ Still a few more things to source but the mechs/shifters are in the post and the wheels are being built by the LBS. Hope you like......

Cove 2012 Build-Up pictures by Elworthy - Photobucket

mtbr member

meow, meow.
    Wow! Very nice parts there. I wonder what the wheels are?
    I see that you're going to use Hope brakes and an external crankset, but caliper mount and BB shell have not been faced. I suggest doing that.. did it on my HJ, it definitely needed all of it (headtube too -- by the way, what headset are you going to install?).

Did you consider a Terralogic damped fork?
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    Wow! Very nice parts there. I wonder what the wheels are?
    I see that you're going to use Hope brakes and an external crankset, but caliper mount and BB shell have not been faced. I suggest doing that.. did it on my HJ, it definitely needed all of it (headtube too -- by the way, what headset are you going to install?).

Did you consider a Terralogic damped fork?
    Thanks, glad you like it

The wheels are Hope Pro2 hubs with Mavic 717 disc rims, all good, proven stuff without being ultralight and madly expensive. I've got a big flat oilstone so will face the surfaces before the build but have asked the LBS to fit the Hope headset. I haven't pressed one in for years and don't want to bugger anything up!

I took the Bombers off my current bike today to service them and was amazed at the difference in weight between them and the Fox forks. I can't wait to ride them! I couldn't afford new forks otherwise would have gone for the Terralogic model. I bought the RLCs on eBay; they've only had light use and are 2011 models - I paid 290 which I think was fair.

So, I should have everything except the handlebars/stem and seatpost by next week-end. Then I'll put the heater on the the garage, put some Muse on the CD player and start the build!

mtbr member
    Can the owner of a newer HJ post a pic of the rear dropouts please? Cove's site doesn't have the best pics and before I order one I want to see if there's enough room for my bolt on rear wheel's axle nuts. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffany's pigeons View Post
    Can the owner of a newer HJ post a pic of the rear dropouts please? Cove's site doesn't have the best pics and before I order one I want to see if there's enough room for my bolt on rear wheel's axle nuts. Thanks!
    took it apart last night...

mtbr member
    Awesome, THANKS!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffany's pigeons View Post
    not mine, but this is it. i've got a 2009 HJ, it has the same dropout.

or you can find more detail pics here:
    Cove Handjob Frame | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

edit: ooopss! I'm late.

mtbr member

The Build-Up Begins.....

And so it starts......... Note especially the galvanised jubilee clip holding the forks on - it took a long time to source that and, I think, really helps the look.

meow, meow.
    I think that a matching Hope seaptost clamp would be good..
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    Already on order...

mtbr member
    Rebuilt for another season of fun times, most changes will probably go unnoticed.. Dusty; with a little urban ambiance.

Black medium 2011 Cove Handjob, Reba 120mm

mtbr member
    Good-looking bike Voodoo..... Big pedals.... You could almost sit round them and eat dinner! What are they?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Clanger View Post
    Good-looking bike Voodoo..... Big pedals.... You could almost sit round them and eat dinner! What are they?
    Hahaha... They're JCPC bmx pedals i use during the spring when the trails are closed. My regular pedals are Time ATAC.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

My baby, finally finished

A pic of my new build. I was hoping someone could tell me the year of the frame, as the person I purchased it from did not know. Thanks!

Fox F100 RLC
    Shimano SLX Crankset
    Sram X9 shifters
    Sram XO rear derail
    Shimano XT front derail
    Race Face Next Carbon Handlebar
    Avid BB7 Mech disc brakes
    Avid Speed Dial 7 levers
    Thomson Seat post
    Race Face Deus Stem
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cove handjob, show me yours !!!-img_0023.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    nice bike! it's the same modell like mine, a pre 2009. /I bought mine as new in early 2009./

Quote Originally Posted by grenke1 View Post
    A pic of my new build. I was hoping someone could tell me the year of the frame, as the person I purchased it from did not know. Thanks!

Fox F100 RLC
    Shimano SLX Crankset
    Sram X9 shifters
    Sram XO rear derail
    Shimano XT front derail
    Race Face Next Carbon Handlebar
    Avid BB7 Mech disc brakes
    Avid Speed Dial 7 levers
    Thomson Seat post
    Race Face Deus Stem

mtbr member
    @Grenke1

Great looking bike, looks as if it has a real purpose about it - love the wheels too.

Won't be long before I post my pics up, thinks are happening in the garage!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisherceg View Post
    nice bike! it's the same modell like mine, a pre 2009. /I bought mine as new in early 2009./
    Thanks Kisherceg. Appreciate the info.

mtbr member
    The build has progressed a little further. Lots to do still, next on the list is shorten the brake lines and then secure them properly. Once the wheels are built I can finish it, with a bit of luck will be done by Easter.

[IMG][/IMG]

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast