Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Cove Handjob - seatpost play

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  DGB 
#1 ·
Hi all Cove HJ riders:)

I own HJ 2008. I'm little bit worried about seatpost play that I noticed. The seatpost does not slip, everything is fine when it is tightened with clamp, but when I loose clamp to lower post I can feel a small play, like the seat tube is getting wider approx. 5cm from top, or the post is getting narrower. The post size is correct 27,2, I've checked this with two (cheap) posts. I'm not sure if I should try a better post or this is normal and all you handjobbers noticed that on your frames? :)

#2 ·
I too have an 08 HJ and I can't say I ever noticed this before.
I've just gone and had a look and there's a small bit of play (front-to-back) when the clamp is loosened. My post even falls down into the seat tube when I open the clamp.
I checked my seatpost a long time ago with a calipers and it was very close to 27.2mm.

I'd suggest that you get a calipers and check the diameter of your post if you haven't done so already (the cheapo posts you used for comparison could be a bit off).
Also, make sure that you have enough seatpost inside in the frame (the minimum that I'd want personally is about 90mm below the junction of the TT and ST).

On my HJ, I'm not worried about it as there's more than enough post inside the seat tube.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.