mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Cove G-Spot Rear Shock Spring Rate?

I'm riding a G-spot with a Fox DHX5.0 Coil Rear Shock.

I weigh 190lb and have a 650lb by 2.3 inch stroke shock. I have the sag on the shock set up correctly (15mm).

The shock feels like it bottoms out when I ride it in the carpark. When I go off-road, I feel like I am most of the way through the travel already before I hit any major bumps.

I have tried to adjust the pre-load on the spring, wind down the volume of the compression chamber, and put more air in the chamber....nothing seems to make much difference.

So, G-spot riders, what do you weigh, and what weight shock are you using??? Should I go up to an 800lb spring?

Thanks for any assistance!

Chris.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hi there,
    I also have a 2006 G-spot (15.5") with a DHX5.0 coil.
    I weigh roughly the same as you (185lb).
    I originally used a 600lb spring but found that it bottomed harshly on medium sized drops(5ft).
    I was running the coil with 1 turn of preload, the boost valve pressure at 155 with 5 clicks of pro-pedal and bottom out 2 1/2 turns in. At this setting, I found that I lost a lot of small bump sensitivity and supple mid stroke. The bike was also difficult to jump.
    After trying many different settings I decided to have the shock serviced and Pushed and gave all my details and riding requirements to TFTuned.
    I ended up with the 700lb spring with just enough preload to keep the spring from moving, 135psi in the boost valve, bottom out one turn in and no propedal. I also had the bottom out cone changed to the Push one (very similar if not identical to a 5th cone).
    I have ridden the bike like this ever since and not changed a thing and it handles everything so much better, initial and mid stroke are very supple with a smooth ramp up in the last third of the stroke to stop bottoming. The bike jumps very well now and on the rare occasions it does bottom it does not feel harsh ( I am told this is down to the shape of the Push Cone.)

It sounds like your spring should be ok, I think an 800lbs spring would remove all small bump compliance andgive too firm mid stroke. I would try the pressure at 140psi with the bottom out 2 turns in and propedal fully off and adjust from there.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks for the tips - after changing to your recommended settings, I noticed that the compression air chamber loses a lot of pressure when unscrewing the pump...it is actually quite difficult to keep 140psi in the chamber!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    No problem, when you attach the pump as soon the gauge registers pressure, screw coupling on another half turn and then pump up to pressure. When you unscrew the coupling to remove the pump, the hiss you will hear is the air from the pump and hose, not the shock (unless the pump seals are faulty).
    The gauge will always read lower when you re-attach the pump as air from the shock fills the hose.
    If the gauge reads 140 before the pump is unscrewed then that is what is in the chamber.
    Hope this makes sense.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey how tall are you guys and what size are you riding?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm 5' 7" and ride a small frame (15.5") fits great and you can really throw it around.