Group Hug Participant

New question here. Cove G-Spot or Devinci Jalepeno?

These two bikes look AWESOME! Any suggestions or prefs? This would be going from a 02 Rm Slayer.

mtbr member

Yo Slayer Rulz...

Never got to properly thank you for the helpful tips when I was in Seattle concerning beer and Supergo. Thanks.
    To the point - Are you getting rid of your Slayer, and why? I'm picking a Heckler up tomorrow. I saw a spicy exchange you were involved with where pufdup was trying to convince everyone that the Slayer could be a freeride bike. When my chainstay broke about 2 weeks ago, I pretty much decided that I needed something else to throw around. After the fiasco this summer with my seatstay I was not looking forward to another go around waiting 6 weeks for the proper parts. I hope pufdup has better luck than I did, his is an 03 as opposed to the 02, so maybe that will help.
    Just curious about your bike and how it has been holding up.
    Wrecker of fine things

Group Hug Participant

Yeah, mon...

glad you enjoyed our little neck of the woods. You should experience the riding up here sometime.
    I won't be getting rid of the slayer anytime soon. It's still treating me just fine! I'll probably replace the bearings and change the oil in my fork this spring, but thats about all it'll need.
    Going into my third year I've gone through 3 pairs of tires, 3 wheel rebuilds, and thats about it. Also PUSHing the Float, I'd have to say thats not too bad for a repair/upgrade list. *knocks on wood* (I won't even go into the other dumbshit mechanicals I've caused myself.)
    I'm a fairly light rider so I don't think I have to worry too much about abusing the slayer. I think also knowing it's vertical drop limits helps as well.
    Hopefully, I'll get another 2 years out it. I was looking at Devinci and Cove as a possible replacement since they're kind of unique. In other words, you don't see many of them around. And they're relatively new to the market. Not to mention the names! "Gspot?" How could you go wrong there? "Chillipepper(s)?" They rock! However, not nearly as much as SLAYER!
    If you're looking to push your limits a little farther, then the Heckler should treat. Enjoy.
    Official Chocolate Fountain Spokesman

mtbr member

Those are nice looking bikes

I'm hoping I can do all the work to replace the chainstay eventually over the winter sometime on the Slayer. Actually, now that I've got the Heckler, I'm thinking the lifespan of the Slayer could be lengthened a bit without having to put up with all of the abuse itself. Spread the wealth around, you know? Next time I'm out there I'm bringing one of the bikes with me for for sure. Glad to hear your Slayer is still rolling. It is a sweet bike, even to just to look at. I remember your whole Push thing now, I had considered that, but the $ went to new seatstay.
    But I gotta tell ya, that Heckler, while common these days is a serious piece of work. Those two you mentioned look pretty sick, I don't think a bad choice can be made there. That devinci is Bullit-like while the G-spot looks like a cross between a Turner 5 spot and a Kona stinky ( I'm stretching here). Have fun with whatever rig you choose.
    Wrecker of fine things

livin' large
    Why do the chainstays on slayers break, I personally haven't broke one just bent the whole rear triangle somehow, but I know of many a broken chain stay (usually drive side right behind weld by yoke) is it a defect or design flaw or just pushing the bike too hard?

mtbr member

Fellow clyde...

I have heard of this too, aside from my misfortune. Mine was discovered during a little upkeep session hoping to solve some shifting annoyances. When I checked the der. hanger, I found it loose, like 20 mm loose. I went to tighten it and noticed a crack from one of the holes that the hanger attaches to the edge of the frame. It is looking a little bent there too, which would explain why after I put the wheel back on it looked crooked yet was fully seated in the groove. I'm not sure how rideable the Slayer is in this condition, if at all, but this is fatal to the chainstay, and in all good judgement I'd feel safer replacing it. If this was enineered to take the abuse of what I consider trailriding, because this is how I ride with most of my friends, then they fell a little short on the design. I know I'm not the only one with this problem. However I am willing to admit I did basically learn how to jump and drop up to about 4-5 ft on this rig. I actually think if I had been as good a rider when I first got the Slayer as I am now, the bike would be in a lot better shape. That said, the damage has been done, and maybe going to third string for a while (at least the Super V is safely rideable) will give me a chance to get it up and running solid.
    Wrecker of fine things