Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Tear it all out! SuperModerator

Cove Bikes Thread

Since I just bought a used Cove Hummer frame, I figured this board needed a Cove thread.

Since I don't have a pic of my frame, the photos from their site will have to do.

{deleted broken pic links}

Any other Cove frame owners out there?

I know Duncan! has a Stiffee...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hummer page on Cove's site

A few Hummer pics found with Google.

Astogie's from the WW board (link is build sheet):

Found the last bike's owner's site with details (scroll to the bottom of the page).
    http://www.mtb-freeride.com/ride/can...m.asp?NewsID=2

Speedhub doc.

G-spot 04

Built up a 04 g -spot with a marz junior t fork, 8" hayes hydro's, rohloff speedhub, 5th element shock. been a great all round trail/freeride machine, waiting to hit Blue mtn this season,

VernDog

is this thing on?
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    Found a couple of Hummer pics on Pinkbike's site.

hey thats mine. well not when that picture was taken. but it's now mine. I've changed it a bit, marzocchi MX coil, mavic D521's, V brakes, racks and saddle bags.

MMMMMMM, Hummer

sans touring gear. sorry for the large pic's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Vernon VernDog
    Built up a 04 g -spot with a marz junior t fork, 8" hayes hydro's, rohloff speedhub, 5th element shock. been a great all round trail/freeride machine, waiting to hit Blue mtn this season,

VernDog
    Hey VernDog,

How do you like the G-spot? I've been thinking about the '04 myself as an all-round bike. Could you post some pics??? I'm having a lot of trouble finding any of the '04s.

Thanks,

Shibby

Speedhub doc.

g spot

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby
    Hey VernDog,

How do you like the G-spot? I've been thinking about the '04 myself as an all-round bike. Could you post some pics??? I'm having a lot of trouble finding any of the '04s.

Thanks,

Shibby
    I really like the bike, as a all round trail/dh/fr bike, while not having the full blown travel as a dh bike, I can pedal the bike up or down the trail. Coming from a hardtail xc bike to this, I can just hop on and go, not worrying about "dropping" off something, kinda the go anywhere/do anything bike. I got mine direct from covebike in BC (shipped to Ontario) and built it up from the frame, Haven't weighted the bike yet, but I suspect it weighs around 38~40 lbs. The 5th element shock will require a bit of tuning to your riding style, which is what I'm constantly tinkering with (fun). Will have to get some pics taken and can't wait till Blue mtn opens, also will be heading up to Quebec this season to! Here is a complete spec/build of the bike.
    Frame: 04 G spot
    Shock: 5th element
    Fork: 03 Marz junior T
    Brakes: Hayes 8" hydro
    Drivetrain: Rohloff speedhub disc
    Rims: Mavic 521
    Tires: Maxxis Mobster/high roller
    Bar, Stem, Headset: all Raceface

Pics to follow
    Vern

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey VernDog,

Thanks for the info. I'm in Ontario as well, I actually live near Sport Swap in Toronto, which is one of only 2 cove dealers in eastern canada (the other is in Montreal or QC, I can't remember). I talked to them about getting a frame, but they aren't stocking the G-spot at all, and wanted to charge a pretty hefty price to bring it in from BC. My sister lives in Calgary, I'm going out to visit her soon, so I'm thinking of picking one up while I'm there (going under the assumption that they are carried in more stores there...). Can I ask if this is why you had it shipped directly from BC, or was there another reason?

Thanks for the info, looking forward to the pics.

Shibby

There seems to be a lot of variation in the rear drop outs. Mine is differenent than yours and the other frames posted in this thread.

Mine has 3 small cut outs on each side. I'll have to take a pic. I have mine built up mostly as a commuter and occasional trail use.

mtbr member

Cousins...

Bout time guys,

I not long ago received a Cove, HandjobXC ; The steel cousin of the Hummer, I guess. I love it- It's taken oooohhhh so long to build it up, but It should be rideable when my cranks and BB get here from MTNHigh Cyclery, on Monday (ish). The bike at least looks like a bike at the moment.

My goal is to make it a lightweight, Trail / XC bike, got it down to 9.75kg's on paper not bad for a steel frame IMO. I also have a website devoted to all my bike projects, this being the first real one. checkout www.projectx-cul.com for more pic's and info.

Here She is!

Still abit to go, I haven't really done much on the bike lately- have been to busy waiting for this and that... AND WORK! I am also considering buying a G-Spot, demo/personal bike off adam@southshorebikes.com, the Australian distributer for Cove Bikes. That looks pretty Yummy also, I'll post pics in a sec.

PS that hummer up the top, with the X-Max's and whatnot looks welll trick.

-Cul
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated ********.

trail "cleaner"

Cove Stiffee

here's a photo of my Stiffee. Great all around hardtail. Very versatile and light enough for racing if that's your thing.
    Last edited by AZmtncycler; 06-03-2010 at 01:16 PM.
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member

G-Spot...shipped direct from Cove

Hey, this is a bit late but I also have a G (03) built up similar to Vern Dog, that I got from Cove. The price was right, they build it how you like it, and they pay the shipping. This is a really, really nicely tuned and designed bike. The angles are great, the action is perfect, but it is a heavy beast with a dual crown (mine's 40lb). Here she is @ Bromont.
    [IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Here's a couple of pictures of my Hummer. I've built it up for reliability rather than lightness so it's got Marathon S coil forks, Hope bulb hubs, Hope mini disc brakes and 2002 XTR.

The first one is from last weekend during the Dyfi Enduro in Wales.

The other one is from when it was new.

CAK
    Reign Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycle
    here's a photo of my Stiffee. Great all around hardtail. Very versatile and light enough for racing if that's your thing.

I'm thinking of replacing my Cannondale CAAD4 frame with something a little more stable on the decents. The Cannondale is a size small, with a 71 degree head tube and a 73.5 degree seat tube, it is too small for me. I'm 5'6" and was looking at the 17.5 Cove. The Stiffee looks like it has pretty slack geometry which you would think give me more confidence on the dh's. How compact would the Stiffee be as compared to my C-dale. I'd like a longer wheelbase just not sure how the Cove geometry stacks up against my current bike. I feel like I'm riding over the front tire on my C-dale.

How would the Stiffee perform for rides that involve 12 mile climbs, then 12 miles of technical single track back down. I would set it up using the parts off my Cannondale in the picture below. Could it be built reasonably light, say 26lbs?

Thanks

Stiffee pics found on the net

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Review article here:
    http://www.mtb-freeride.com/news/new....asp?NewsID=17

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Playmate pic found on the net

mtbr member

getting foreplay mx 04 soon !

here is my ride i had, which i replaced with kona in feb.
    now i just ordered 04 foreplay at lbs ! cant wait to be a cove rider again !

mtbr member
    A couple of nice Handjobs off Singletrack

mtbr member

Good job! new foreplay mx

just finished building last night. too bad it`s stormy outside. can`t wait to take it for the first ride !

Ned
    mtbr member
    Geez, Ernesto, nice second generation Hummer you got there... Me thinks it looks so clean 'cuz my hounds are very detailed oriented. If only the folks here knew the places that bike has been ridden...

Here's a batch hanging in the old warehouse lair waiting for their new owner...

04 Cove Peeler at Whistler Crankworx

Pic by Gregg.

mtbr member

Cove Handjob "Vulture Style"

I thought my steel Cove Handjob frame was worthy of becoming a full-time dedicated single speed, so I sent it to Vulture and let the guys work their magic. They were really good to work with and the frame looks great. Sorry for the single speed content.

mtbr member

New question here. Handjob

I've been looking at possibly building up a Handjob.

I have a few questions if anyone could give me some info....

I'm planning to build up a hardtail for aggressive/technical XC. Not really freeriding, but a little more abusive than traditional XC.

I'm a fairly big guy, 200#, 6'1".

Does the Handjob fit the bill? Or should I be looking at another option.....

mtbr remember
    these are all really nice rides!!!

I'm looking at building up a 15.5" G-Spot over the next year or so. What do you guys think of them?? I'd be building it up to handle most anything I throw at it, or throw it on for that matter- w/ a triple crown (already have a Slider) or long travel sc (05 Z1FR1) and might put a 24" in the rear w/ a 26" in front. What do you guys think?
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member

go for it!

But get it witha 5th or a Swinger or an '05 Fox, especially if your putting the slider on it. The G will bob like crazy without a "platform shock". I love my '03, even though it's a bit heavy for xc I still pedal it everywhere. I think it would be sick as an everything bike with a single crown 6 or 7 inch fork and some light-ish wheels. Cove's customer service is awesome as well...they stand by their products.

mtbr member

I thinking about the Handjob as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TaoRider
    I've been looking at possibly building up a Handjob.

I have a few questions if anyone could give me some info....

I'm planning to build up a hardtail for aggressive/technical XC. Not really freeriding, but a little more abusive than traditional XC.

I'm a fairly big guy, 200#, 6'1".

Does the Handjob fit the bill? Or should I be looking at another option.....

for very similar situation. I'm looking to replace my aluminum HT frame with something a little stronger and has a better geometry for the style of riding I do. Right know the BB height on my Genisis Geo. era frame is way too low. looking at the chart posted above the 12.25" is still and inch lower than my LocoMoto.

TaoRider, have you tested a handjob yet? what size frame are you thinking of? I ask b/c I'm 6'2" amd am stuck between the 19.5 and 21".
    b

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast