mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Chromag Wideangle Ride Report/Review?

Anyone have a wideangle and care to share what the experience, ride, geo ha been like to date?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    This is something I'd also like to know. Not a whole lot of ride reports or reviews out there on this one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I pulled the trigger on the jenson usa deal, and expect the bike soon. give me a week or two and I'll just publish an answer to my own question.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Excellent! I look forward to your report.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    For those interested in the Wideangle, here is a nice write up of Chromag's Samurai 65.

Chromag Samurai 65 Hardtail | MTB Hawaii

The Wideangle is basically the Taiwanese made version of the Samurai 65 at about half the cost (frame only). Geometry appears to be identical.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    So far so stoked. I got the build currently available on Jenson USA. I'm swapping over everything component wise to the new 1x11 XT. I've also got the new Fox Transfer post inbound. From the Jenson build I'm keeping the Revelation and the wheel set for now. Will post photos and ride report soonish.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I've had one now for one year and I love it. It's the only bike I ride, and I ride it down down everything from steep loose dirt chutes in Pemberton to long rock slabs in Squamish to super easy after work rides on double track. It really is a one bike quiver. If there is such a thing as a full suspension hardtail this is it. It is that smooth.

I'm running it with a 150mm Marzocchi 350cr. I know the specs on their website says it has a 68 degree head angle but I've measured mine at 66.5 so it's pretty slack.

Having said that, I had the chance to try out a Rootdown BA and that thing is even smoother.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Thanks for the input kwl1. If you had to choose between the Wideangle and the Rootdown, which would you choose today? I think I have my list narrowed down to the Wideangle, Rootdown, Nimble 9, and the Trans Am but I am not able to test ride any of them in my area. It's tough to make a final decision on a bike that one has never even laid eyes on let alone taken for a spin.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    No question I'd go with the Rootdown BA. I've seen both the blue and orange in person and they are very sharp looking bikes. I like that the curved seat tube is very subtle and not in your face like the Niner.

I should also add that the Wideangle is an amazing climbing machine. It's incredible how well it tracks on techy uphills.

Whichever way you go you won't be disappointed, both are awesome bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kwl1 View Post
    I've had one now for one year and I love it. It's the only bike I ride, and I ride it down down everything from steep loose dirt chutes in Pemberton to long rock slabs in Squamish to super easy after work rides on double track. It really is a one bike quiver. If there is such a thing as a full suspension hardtail this is it. It is that smooth.

I'm running it with a 150mm Marzocchi 350cr. I know the specs on their website says it has a 68 degree head angle but I've measured mine at 66.5 so it's pretty slack.

Having said that, I had the chance to try out a Rootdown BA and that thing is even smoother.
    I'm surprised and intrigued that you find the Wideangle to have a compliant rear triangle. My local trails are nothing compared to the North Shore, but I do need to keep the impacts felt by my knees from all the roots to a minimum. My old 26" wheel titanium frame doesn't do it. Could it be the speed that is forcing the steel to be more compliant, where it would otherwise remain stiff at low speeds?

@kwl1, @jonbek,
    Is there any chance you could measure the clearance between the chain and seat stays about 335-345mm from the axle center? Trying to fit a WTB Breakout as the rear tire. Thanks!