mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Canucks will understand

I am a Scotsman who spent nine or ten months in Canada during school year '98-'99. I went to Brock in S Ontario Sep-May(some say good, some say bad) then travelled coast to coast for five weeks. I must say I loved your wonderful country, and would hope to return one day.
    I am in the market for a new mtb, and would prefer not to buy American as their bikes are everywhere (as are their soldiers, TV shows, beers and sports shoes, amongst hundreds of other things).
    Unfortunately, the choices otherwise seem limited. Recently I have become aware of Norco and Rocky Mountain as options from across the ocean. Upon seeking suppliers in Scotland.......well there are two. One is three or more hours drive away, has about three choices and the prices are hiiiigh (RockMount), the other is five mins drive away, and has only four of the Norco xc/am range - Storm, Charger, Bigfoot, Sasquatch.
    I was wondereing which range you guys thought was better of the two, and which had the more quality stuff. I'm after a hardtail that will be used more for urban, I'll need to be able to attach child seat on the rear next year, and no need for DH or serious jumping. Also, none of your bright colours. I prefer a more stealthy/dull army type look as it tends to deter the 'magpies' who live in this town - thieving bastar*s! Furthermore, do these guys do any cromo steel frames?
    I've got an option or two in UK makes as well, but when spending this much, you really wanna know the options.

Thanks for your attention. Hope you can help.

Mike

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

there's more

I just learned that Cove are Canadian too.
    Checked the website, and I think I might like a Handjob.
    Need to check reviews and speak to UK distributor to get a price.
    Any advice?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Myk Tuf
    I just learned that Cove are Canadian too.
    Checked the website, and I think I might like a Handjob.
    Need to check reviews and speak to UK distributor to get a price.
    Any advice?
    Wouldn't we all like a handjob?

All three bikes are built here in Vancouver. RM = great bikes, but pricey for what you get Norco makes tough, high value bikes - their lower end frames are welded off-shore, though.

The Cove makes nice bikes and it's hard to get a quality steel frame these days. I think the Handjob would be a great ride and a good investment that lasts a long, long time. It's not a freeride bike though, and may not take the pounding that a Sasquatch would. I guess it depends on what kind of riding you plan on doing.

Inrideo est vita
    Cove bikes are great. You can get them from Silverfish in the UK (www.silverfish-uk.com/IndexFlash.htm).

Steel is real!
    Canadian distribution: X-Fusion Shox, Rand Momentum lube and Canadian Shield fenders.
    TheRide.ca
    Facebook

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Going Fishing

I checked out UK distributors on the Cove website, and got the name of Silverfish (Thanks SSteel), and will call them tomorrow day. I will be taking a week's holiday at their end of the country (South coast of England) at the end of May by chance anyway, so if no suppliers in Glasgow I'll make the effort to get to their HQ and try their wares.
    After looking at the other Cove frames, Gazz, I think the HJ would be the most suitable for my riding needs i.e. NOT freeride, nor downhill madness, nor dirtjump delerium - just trails, xc, streets, and perhaps some weekend tours.
    I'm going back to Cove for another look right now.
    Oh, and my girlfriend would find it very, VERY funny if I got a bike called a 'Handjob' as she knows only too well......

Mike

thanks guys

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    If you are interested in steel, RM does 2. Blizzard as a frame only or Hammer as a complete bike.

http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2004/steel/hammer.aspx

A few other Cdn bikes are:
    Brodie
    Devinci
    Balfa
    Spot
    Oryx
    Kona
    DeKerf
    .243 Racing
    Banshee