mik
    mtbr member

Calling all Cove Playmateys!..

Gday all,

I'm building up a Cove Playmate at the moment and noticed the rear wheel is slightly off-set from dead center by about 4mm or so. At first I thought it was warpage in the frame but soon realised it couldn't be as the wheel fits in perfectly, and that it'd take a fleet of Mac trucks to warp this frame.
    Anyway, I've also been told by another Playmate owner that that is just the design of the frame, Peelers as well, and he wasn't sure how his LBS did it but they were able to center the wheel, would this be by counter off-setting the rim-to-hub spoke lacing? And I'm also just generally wondering if anyone else has come by this?
    Also, any tips on building these babies up would be much appreciated

cheers,
    Mik.

mtbr member
    The Specialized Demos are like that too. The idea is to take the dish out of the wheel. Dish being the condition of having the rim not centered between the two flanges on the hub. Makes for a weaker wheel. The wheel would have been built as to be dished 4mm or so towards the non drive side. If you ever want to use that wheel on a different bike, or a different wheel on the Cove, take it to your LBS, tell them the issue, and it can be delt with right quick. It's not hard to redish the wheel.

mik
    mtbr member
    Ah, thought it was something to do with that. My brother, who has a pretty good logic-head on him came up with that exact idea, but when we looked we thought it'd have to be laced toward the otherway?? As in further off-set, but I'm pretty sure it was probably just our brains not adjusting the wheel correctly in our heads, I'll have another squiz at it later today. But thanx for the reply mate

There's no app for this.

in future

you might do a bit better over in the DH/FR forum where the big bikes are. These little tricky things are not always found on most bikes, just the big heavy bastidges like yours and mine.

Cheers, eh, Jim

mik
    mtbr member
    Ah, yep, good point mate. I think the query is pretty much answered but I'll keep that in mind, cheers