Go Bears!
    Mar 2004

Buying a RM in Vancouver?

Hi all,

Maybe some locals can help me out... I may be heading up to Vancouver/Whistler at the end of the month, and was wondering if it's worth shopping for a bike up there? Would it be cheaper than buying down here in the $an Franci$co area?

Any recommendations for shops to talk to?

I've more or less narrowed my choices down to the Stumpjumper FSR and RM Element, with the Giant NRS-2 at a distant 3rd. Comments are welcome.

Need to do some more test riding...

Thanks everyone!
    -PT

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    As someone who's shopping in a similar market first let me say the price might be cheaper up here but I bet you the select of XC bikes is better down there. In the land of the free ride bike most stores that sell mountain bikes usually only carry a few XC models. For example in the Stumpy FSR the highest model you're going to find is the Expert. In the Element the highest I've found is the 30. The RM dealers in Vancouver don't stock anything higher because everyone chooses the ETS over the Element.

Giant and Trek are the only two where I've seen the high end models in stock.

Some food for thought.

ccm
    West Coast Racing
    Jan 2004

like Scott says, you can't buy high end XC off the floor in Vancouver

like Scott says, you can't buy high end XC off the floor in Vancouver bike shops
    I got mine from Alberta through Loyal at Rocky Mountain Bike and Board (it helps to have worked in the bike industry)

however, no shortage of Element Scandiums and 70's at the last Marathon race at Roberts Creek (Rat Race), it seemed like 20 % of the bikes in the top 25 were Elements. Elements are now far too common, it makes Specialized seem exotic. I'm glad I changed my decals, otherwise I would have a hard time to pick-out my bike from all the others around the finish line. It seems like everyone who has an Element here got it on a pro deal. Also, I didn't see any ETSX's in the top 25.

As far as suspension comparison between Stumpjumper and Element. Stumpjumper has horst link and less bob (not no bob) on pavement. But Element is plusher (and faster) once off pavement

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I was going to buy my RM in Vancouver but found a better price and availability by going through Cycles BiKyle in PA. Still waiting for the bike but dealing with them so far has been great.

All the BC bike shops I talked to said there were no more 19" ETSX-70's this year. Cycles BiKyle said they could get them. They are waiting for it to arrive from RM as I type this.

keep the shiny side up!
    you better not wait to get your rocky. they have sold 95% of their '04 bikes already. whatever bike you find at the shops are most likely the only ones they are gonna have. element 70's are sold out so the shops are not gonna be able to order you one from rocky. if you find one, buy it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I saved about $450 by buying an '04 RM Switch from a dealer in Vancouver. I live in Texas. With the exchange rate and a little bargaining it is well worth the effort. My local dealer thinks retail is a great price. Give it a rest.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Allmountain
    I saved about $450 by buying an '04 RM Switch from a dealer in Vancouver. I live in Texas. With the exchange rate and a little bargaining it is well worth the effort. My local dealer thinks retail is a great price. Give it a rest.
    For me, price took a back seat to availability. A couple Canadian shops told me they could not get anymore ETSX-70's this year. BiKyle gave me a price a couple hundred better than any Vancouver dealer and was able to get confirmation from Rocky Mountain that a bike had my name on it. I wonder if priority is given to US bike shops.

The wait is killing me! The last ETSX-70 production run for this year ended last week so mine is conceivably in transit. Unfortunately it has to go to PA before it is built and shipped to WA.