mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Good job! Building up a Handjob - Tips on what works etc..

Hi, Ive' decided to build up my own bike after my last one was stolen and have plumped for a handjob. I've narrowed my choice of compenents down to the following but, would be grateful for any pointers from other owners out there

White Handjob Frame

Revelation 426 Coil U turn

XT Group Set Deal

Race Face Evolve X-Type chainset
    X-Type BB
    XT front mech
    XT rear mech
    XT shifters
    XT cassette and chain
    XT disc brakes with 160mm front and 160mm rear rotors
    XT 770 Q/R hubs handbuilt into Mavic XC717 black disc rims and black spokes

Probably get a Ritchey WCS stem (90mm) and bar as my budget is starting to creep out of control and a bel air saddle with a thomson seatpost

Total cost will be around 1300

Thanks in advance

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    First off, nice choice in the handjob. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I've got a black handjob (17.5) and I've built it up myself with the following, which isn't too far off what you're thinking of building:

RS Reba Team Dual Air 100mm (changing this week to a Revelation 426 Dual Air 130mm)
    XT Shadow R/mech
    XT F/mech
    XT M770 160mm F&R brakes
    XT shifters
    Race Face Deus X-type cranks (silver)
    Race Face Deus headset (silver)
    XT cassette & XTR chain
    Mavic Crossride wheels
    Ritchey WCS 4-Axis 44 90mm stem
    Ritchey WCS OS Carbon Rizer
    Old Syncros 27.2mm 400mm seatpost
    Selle Italia Shiver saddle
    DT RWS skewers

The few things that I've found - I'm not overly impressed with the shifting of the rear XT. I've always used shimano mechs but this isn't super smooth and I'm using XTR cables. I've never tried SRAM mechs but I would like to see if they'd be any better.
    The crossrides I have are cheap, not too heavy and have stayed true after quite a bit of abuse, only complaint is the skewers are poor. They are probably cheaper than the XT wheels, if you want to cut back on the overall expense. If I was going for them again I'd get the centrelock models to use Shimano's newer rotors, which are supposed to be better than their 6-bolt models.
    IMO I'd prefer an Air model fork but if you're happy with the coil fork then drive on, but do a bit of digging on some of the more popular UK websites (think of a legendary wizard!) for deals on the other Revelation models

Best of luck with the build and post up a pic when you're done.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the reply

Had to have a change of plan as I said my bike was stolen so I had to buy a new one sharpish as I had a couple of charity rides coming up.

Anyone I bought a shop soiled Decathlon Rockider 8.2 for 600 (pretty good bike in its on right). So will swap over the parts on that and sell the frame; Full Sram X9, Truvativ Stylo GPX crank, Reba Race with Poplock, Juicy 5's and basic X317's.

The rebas's are white so am debating between getting a white frame or (if possible) tracking down a matt green/pixie blue frame as in the UK we only seem to have Black, Red, Orange and White frames for sale
    Last edited by sacredny; 07-23-2008 at 07:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    A great bike, I have just got one after years of riding full sus and am loving it.

This is my build:

Orange Handjob Frame - from ebay

Revelation 426 Coil U turn

Most of an XT groupset from 2006/7

XT 760 chainset
    XT front mech
    XT rear mech
    XT shifters
    XT cassette and chain
    XT disc brakes with 180mm front and 160mm rear rotors
    XT hubs on mavic 321 rims - cheap, heavy wheels

SDG Bel air saddle with a thomson seatpost.
    Thomson X4 stem with SIG race bars

The thomson post is a good choice for these frames as the quick release seatclamp was letting my previous seatpost (X-lite clikon) slip like mad.

U-turn or adjustable travel isn't really necessary for this bike IMO. Can get up steep climbs with no noticable wandering of the front end without winding the fork down. I reckon I would get a fixed travel 130mm Air sprung rev if I didn't already have the coil fork. I am about 6' and riding a 19.5"

I've got a 90mm stem on but I will probably change this for a 70mm

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sacredny
    in the UK we only seem to have Black, Red, Orange and White frames for sale
    They're the new colours.
    I'd say you'd be hard pressed to find a Matt Green/Pixie Blue frame unless you're going for one of the less popular sizes and even then...

I just got my Revelation Dual Air fitted, so I'm off for a ride to check it out...